IGNORED

Battery charging via Can-Bus socket

NCChief

Greetings all,

I purchased a Optimate 4 Can-Bus charger for my 2012 R1200RT. When directly connected to the battery via the clips, it is working just fine, but when I put it in Can-Bus mode (the indicator lights are showing it in the proper mode), I get nothing. Once plugged in, it goes through it's power on test, then only the green "on" light is illuminated. Is there anything I can check on the socket or any other way to see what is going wrong?  I have ordered the direct to battery pigtail cable so I can bypass the can-bus, but now I am wondering why this isn't working.

Thanks!

Scott

I think that you have to ensure the powerlet is "active".  If you just walk up to the bike after being off for xxx amount of hours, the powerlet is likely not active.  Power the bike on (no need to start), plug your charger in and then kill the power on the bike.  See if htat does it.

10 hours ago, NCChief said:

Greetings all,

I purchased a Optimate 4 Can-Bus charger for my 2012 R1200RT. When directly connected to the battery via the clips, it is working just fine, but when I put it in Can-Bus mode (the indicator lights are showing it in the proper mode), I get nothing. Once plugged in, it goes through it's power on test, then only the green "on" light is illuminated. Is there anything I can check on the socket or any other way to see what is going wrong?  I have ordered the direct to battery pigtail cable so I can bypass the can-bus, but now I am wondering why this isn't working.

Thanks!

Scott

Morning Scott 

Do you have the correct charging program set on your charger? It needs to be set to the CanBus mode to work properly through the on-board power socket. 

See video below__

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbpFq2Z9IHM

4 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Morning Scott 

Do you have the correct charging program set on your charger? It needs to be set to the CanBus mode to work properly through the on-board power socket. 

See video below__

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbpFq2Z9IHM

Hi Dirtrider,

Yes, it is in the proper program/mode. The two bottom LEDs are flashing in synch at various intervals.

Thanks!

Scott

11 minutes ago, NCChief said:

Hi Dirtrider,

Yes, it is in the proper program/mode. The two bottom LEDs are flashing in synch at various intervals.

Thanks!

Scott

Afternoon Scott

OK, then next try what  Rougarou suggested & start your charging sequence with the key turned on, then turn it off once it starts charging. 

The Optimate 4 is supposed to activate the powerlet/canbus at the start of the charging cycle. It works that way on mine with my 2012 RT.

That said, it is a good troubleshooting step to manually activate the powerlet and see what changes. That will tell you if the Optimate is the problem, or something else.

Are you plugging it into the powerlet on the fairing or the seat cowling?

Mike

52 minutes ago, PDX Mike said:

The Optimate 4 is supposed to activate the powerlet/canbus at the start of the charging cycle. It works that way on mine with my 2012 RT.

That said, it is a good troubleshooting step to manually activate the powerlet and see what changes. That will tell you if the Optimate is the problem, or something else.

Are you plugging it into the powerlet on the fairing or the seat cowling?

Mike

Hi Mike,

Plugging it into the powerlet on the fairing. I am not sure if I have one on the seat cowling.  Going to go try what the others have recommended and will report back

Thanks,

Scott

9 minutes ago, NCChief said:

Hi Mike,

Plugging it into the powerlet on the fairing. I am not sure if I have one on the seat cowling.  Going to go try what the others have recommended and will report back

Thanks,

Scott

Well,

Thanks to Mike, I learned that I DO have a powerlet on the seat cowling! Thanks Mike!  Plugging the Optimate 4 into this powerlet....it works great!!! AWESOME. I don't like that it activated my GPS when I plugged in the Optimate, but I can easily turn that off.

I do wonder why it wouldn't work from the fairing powerlet though....hmmm

Thank you ALL for your help and suggestions.....even learned something new about my "new to me" bike!!

Scott

On my R 1200 RT, I purchased a cord that converts the socket from Canbus to 12V. Much cheaper than buying a new charger. My old BMW charger works great. Max's BMW is where I purchased the wire. Disconnect the at the back of the socket and tape it up, plug in the new cord and ran it along the existing cord to tie into the power hub under the seat.

Perhaps you will find that the conversion beemer_me_up (that's not Eric Von Zipper??) made on his powerlet has been done on yours? That might explain why CanBus mode didn't work on your charger.

I made the fairing powerlet socket on my '13RT a direct fused connection to the battery, too.  I put male powerlet plugs on my heated gear connection and my battery tender.  Makes those connections mush easier and no dangling wires hanging out from under the seat or fairing panel.

The Optimate 4 is quite happy to charge through a direct connection to the battery in "CAN-bus" (a terrible misnomer)  mode. It does not need to go via the OEM socket and ZFE . I charge both our bikes this way as the Optimate will not do a desulphation in "CAN-bus" (sic) mode. The reason that BMW discourages charging a battery directly while in the bike is because some smart chargers will go into desulphation mode if they decide that the battery needs it and the bike's electronics are then exposed to the high voltage desulphation pulses.