IGNORED

EVO Brake flush : A thank you for Les and a bleeding issue!!

philbytx

Did the EVO brake job today. Great instructions from Les (took my laptop into the garage) and the BMW CD was great for the bleed sequence. I had all the tools to hand EXCEPT a syringe as I thought a turkey baster would do. Well, it did do but not nearly as well as a syringe eek.gif! Sloppy!! Sloppy!!

So I am looking around for a syringe ready for next time. Any idea where I could pick one up?

One issue I did have was with one of the longer Speedbleeders for the ABS control unit.

Turns out that I believe it was a BMW part supplier QC issue.....I noticed that the longer rear wheel circuit SB took less than a full turn to seat when I installed it. Same SB type as the front circuit (which was a piece of cake and no problem) but I noticed the rear wheel circuit SB wiggled with just over a 1/4 turn and leaked if you moved it slightly more.

I checked and the ends of the SB and stock bleeder are slightly different but I had no issues with the front circuit SB and noticed it sat slightly lower on the ABS block!

I ended up using almost half the can bleeding the damn rear circuit as I discovered almost too late that air was leaking past the SB threads when you cracked it open. I reinstalled the stock bleeder and it too didn't screw down very far (it wiggled but considerably less) and I found I could crack it just over a 1/4 turn and it ended up working out just fine.

I used Ate typ 200 Gold fluid and because of the rear bleed problems, now have just a smidgeon left in the can for a top up frown.gif

All in all an enjoyable job (other than the Rear Wheel Circuit issue) and I ended up using Simple Green and a spray hose to clean up the area to remove the spilt brake fluid.

Brakes have a noticeably firmer feel now...

Next...the clutch..but I now need more brake fluid!

steve.foote

Phil, check out the barbecue section of of your local Wally World. You'll find syringes disguised as turkey flavor injectors. wink.gif

Phil, check out the barbecue section of of your local Wally World. You'll find syringes disguised as turkey flavor injectors. wink.gif
Hey, that's slick! thumbsup.gif

Glad you had a successful bleed, Philby! clap.gif

90RedRider

Phil, being in Tx. try most Feed stores. Horse feed hay and such. Most also sells large animal meds, big syringes.

ericfoerster

Tractor Supply has them here:

KERRVILLE #504

1305 Sidney Baker Street, Suite K - KERRVILLE, TX 78028-2732

(830) 257-0400

Hi Steve wave.gif,

Near enough...we used to live in Wheaton before we got smart smile.gif!

Eric F, Thank you...I should have known! I'm going down to check out our local Tractor Supply today as I had better get it while its fresh in my ageing mind eek.gif

I love the testosterone rush that you get from a Tractor Supply store...Ooooh! maybe they've got oil on sale grin.gifgrin.gif.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Philby,

Just wondering if there is a anyway you can tell me or provide me with the information on the CD you used to bleed your brakes? I want to attempt to do it myself. BMW wants $340 for the service.

Hi Philby,

Just wondering if there is a anyway you can tell me or provide me with the information on the CD you used to bleed your brakes?

Hi drdumais, welcome to the Discussion Board! wave.gif

You can try www.motobins.co.uk for a great deal on the factory CD (of course the DB can't be a party to plaigerism! wink.gif ), and if you haven't already seen the EVO brake bleed walkthrough's:

Part I (tank removal)

Part II (wheel circuits)

Part III (control circuits)

Part IV (clutch bleed)

. . .which are posted in the M/C FAQ link in the header, be sure to check them out, too! smile.gif

Another suggestion for getting a large syringe is go to your local feed store. They carry vet supplies for horses, cattle, etc. They have large syringes. They sell this stuff to J.Q. Public.

Dr Dumais,

I obtained mine from Motobins which have the best prices for a "legitimate" BMW CD. Jamie gave all the URL's in his post (nice guy thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif).

However, I understand much cheaper pirated versions are available at certain on-line auction sites ooo.gif.

As you can see, there are enough kind folks that are valuable resources here!!

I obtained a pack of 4 syringes from Tractor Supply for just over $4.00(Thanks guys thumbsup.gif!!!). Just awaiting my new clutch bleed parts which should be here on Wednesday. And I won't be using any threadlocker on that damn grub screw either..... eek.gif!!

Archived