IGNORED

New Key FOB Battery Won't Work

strahler13

Here's one for you. I have a 2018 GS and got the low key fob battery warning. When I replace the used battery with a new one, nothing works. If I go back to the used battery things are fine. I have tested and tries three other batteries. They are all over 3v and are the exact replacement. CR 2032. The original battery is a VARTA and I'm trying to use Energizer.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thx,

Mark

I swapped out the original battery on my 2016 Rs this summer . In it's place went an Energizer. Are you positive there isn't a clear piece of plastic on the battery ? Some batteries have them .

Last year at one of the SECFF lunch meetings, a lady with a F750GS had a battery key alert after lunch.

I help her change the batteries. She had a new 2 pack of batteries from a local store. We tried both batteries, dead- no go. I don’t remember what brand they where, but I think it was a name brand.

So I got a battery out of my supply and it worked fine. Maybe there is a bad patch of batteries out there floating around?

• Plus 1 1

Had same problem for my 19 GSA last Sept.  Had to go and buy a second one at another store (was on the road not near homed) been working fine since?????????

• Plus 1 1

I"ve had the problem before where I had 2 bad batteries that were brand new, still in the packaging, and well within their "use by" date.  They had been sitting for a couple of years (and yes, I removed the plastic cover) and neither one worked, so I bought another one at the store and tried it.  The one I bought worked fine and lasted a few years in the fob.

Unfortunately, just because its never been used doesn't mean its "good".

• Like 2

I had problems with many batteries. I went to the dealership and they told me to put any other varta I had problems with these for now they go well and last.

I've got more than my money's worth from my $12 Commercial Electric MS602H. Surprised that some new batteries I bought were not fully charged or worse. 

The Energizer Ultimate is highly rated.

• 2 months later...

I got the bad key fob battery warning on my dash. I bought 2 different one pack battery packs and the bike still won,t start unless I hold the fob in the emergency position . If the batteries are bad the fob won't do anything right?  My fob will  remotely lock the bags and turn on the alarm so I feel it's not a battery issue. I heard there are 2 antennas on my K16GT.  One for starting the bike and the other for the central locking and alarm.  And I am not getting the infamous EWS warning on my dash like the R bikes had some years ago when they had failing antennas. And if it was a bad fob would it still operate the alarm and locking? 

I have had the best luck with Panasonic button batteries.  They are sometimes sold at places like Battery+ as a premium choice for a few bucks more.  While Energizer and Duracell are the most common there are many that seem weak or dead right out of the package. So for the ubiquitous brands best to buy them from a big box store known to have high inventory turn over for this type of battery which seems to improve your chances of getting a fresh one. 

Like the battery for the bike, car, or whatever, the best battery is the one with a manufacturing date as close to the day you buy it. A piece of advice from an Engineer that worked for the  battery division of Johnson Controls which has served me well over the years.

• Like 3