IGNORED

Replacing headlight bulb

Dave P

2007 R1200RT Right side bulb is shot.  I have never experienced a more difficult bulb change. NO room to get my hand in there, and I think the little spring wire clip either broke or came off. @&$!@$ Does it help to remove any bodywork or the dash panel? I don't have unusualy large hands. Really  easy on the YouTubes when the cluster is clamped in a vice. Not easy when on the bike. This shouldn't be so difficult. Thanks for any tips. Dave

I replaced all three in my Wethead RT with LED's, and after doing the same thing you've been doing, i.e. trying to get my hands back there, I gave up and took the front end apart.  This thread chronicles my journey (and remember, you have a hexhead, different front end). 

I do recall replacing one of the bulbs in my 2005 RT (also a Hexhead), and all I can really recall about it was the blood and swearing.  Some here may have some tips, i.e. it might be easier for your bike than my 2018, if you have the inside gouge (i.e. tricks of the trade).  It would help if you had an OEM workshop manual, to guide you through the process, if you decide to bite the bullet and strip the front end down.    I found it essential for my little job, plus a few answered questions by helpful members on this forum.

I had same situation/question/puzzlement a few weeks ago.

Some folks claim that can get hand in there . . . . yah, I could get fingers in there but not enought to do anything not see anything at same time

Down in that posting, I show how get some better access by taking off the big side panel, was enough of better access so can get hand in there and somewhat see what is going on, but still required some contortions.

• Like 1

Different bikes but same problems.  It helps to get your cell phone in there and take pics of what is there and what you have to do to get the dead one out and the new one in.  It also helps to set your phone camera on "Voice Control" and use "CAPTURE" to take the pics.

It is also MUCH easier to install an LED bulb (not to mention MUCH more light, lower current, longer bulb life, etc).  The reason it is so much easier to install is that the mount flange on the LED can be removed from the bulb with the "bayonette fitting" (or "twist to lock").  It is sooo much easier to get the flange in place AND get the retainer wire spring clips properly clipped in, then just insert (<90° twist) the bulb body.   Sometimes that's the only way you can install an LED with a fan when you have those wire clips.

It's hard to see in this pic but the locking tabs on the LED are 180° apart and the visible one is at the blue arrow below:

image.thumb.png.ee29d226dfa3e17ff1aeae561a3f1438.png 

image.thumb.png.cb0aff8e5127512828c828ec9707aa10.png

This says it better than I can:

image.png.761bfd25554e92462026f3f0621d47b7.png

image.png

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Dave P said:

2007 R1200RT Right side bulb is shot.  I have never experienced a more difficult bulb change. NO room to get my hand in there, and I think the little spring wire clip either broke or came off. @&$!@$ Does it help to remove any bodywork or the dash panel? I don't have unusualy large hands. Really  easy on the YouTubes when the cluster is clamped in a vice. Not easy when on the bike. This shouldn't be so difficult. Thanks for any tips. Dave

Morning Dave

On the Hexhead 1200RT's I usually work from the front for the R/H side bulb.  I sit on a milk crate (or just kneel) then reach up over the front fender. If the horn is in the way I unbolt that & move it out of the way but usually I can work around it. 

The positive part about working from the front is being able to see the bulb tabs properly seat by looking in through the front light lens.  For the rest you have to work by feel but that isn't too bad as once you see a picture of bulb & clip area it is pretty straight forward & the "by-feel" works pretty good. 

If your bulb clip just came out of it's hinge tabs then you can also reinstall that from the front by working by-feel (use Redman's picture above for clip install reference). It's not easy but clip re-install  is doable from the front if you are persistent.   Just don't get frustrated, work on it & if doesn't go back in then walk away for a few minutes, calm down, look at the picture again, then go back in with a fresh mind & non cramped hands & try again. 

It WILL go back in with enough tries if you are persistent & don't get frustrated.

Now if that clip is actually broken then you have problems as BMW doesn't service that part individually. At one time (long ago) someone had some extra clips made up but I can't remember who & I don't believe they had many made up. 

A used broken headlight from E-Bay is probably a good place to obtain a good used clip. 

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1

DR thanks for the suggestions. I think that clip might be broken cause the left side I was able to get hooked. With my little telescoping magnet thing I was able to ALMOST retrieve a second piece. How in the H E Double Hockey Sticks did that clip break? Wasnt reefing on it.Thought I might have had the loose piece until it dropped down into Narnia. Ohy!

One clip seemed to hold the new bulb but it was crooked. If I can get it in straight I might leave it with the left side hooked until I pull the bodywork and gas tank this off season to get my ABS motor thing repaired.Go back into the headlight. Probably an easier reach with the tank off but who knows? Dave

50 minutes ago, Dave P said:

DR thanks for the suggestions. I think that clip might be broken cause the left side I was able to get hooked. With my little telescoping magnet thing I was able to ALMOST retrieve a second piece. How in the H E Double Hockey Sticks did that clip break? Wasnt reefing on it.Thought I might have had the loose piece until it dropped down into Narnia. Ohy!

One clip seemed to hold the new bulb but it was crooked. If I can get it in straight I might leave it with the left side hooked until I pull the bodywork and gas tank this off season to get my ABS motor thing repaired.Go back into the headlight. Probably an easier reach with the tank off but who knows? Dave

Afternoon Dave

I not real sure on how those clips break but I have had to deal with a few that came to me broke. 

My guess is that at one time someone only got one side unhooked then forcefully moved that side wire therefore twisting the clip & breaking it. Yours could have been fractured by someone before you & it just broke when you moved it.

It looks like BeemerBoneyard might have those clips_        https://www.beemerboneyard.com/r12h7bulbclip.html

You c-a-n replace that clip without tearing the dash apart, not real easy to do blind but it IS doable.

10 hours ago, Lowndes said:

Different bikes but same problems.  It helps to get your cell phone in there and take pics of what is there and what you have to do to get the dead one out and the new one in.  It also helps to set your phone camera on "Voice Control" and use "CAPTURE" to take the pics.

It is also MUCH easier to install an LED bulb (not to mention MUCH more light, lower current, longer bulb life, etc).  The reason it is so much easier to install is that the mount flange on the LED can be removed from the bulb with the "bayonette fitting" (or "twist to lock").  It is sooo much easier to get the flange in place AND get the retainer wire spring clips properly clipped in, then just insert (<90° twist) the bulb body.   Sometimes that's the only way you can install an LED with a fan when you have those wire clips.

It's hard to see in this pic but the locking tabs on the LED are 180° apart and the visible one is at the blue arrow below:

image.thumb.png.ee29d226dfa3e17ff1aeae561a3f1438.png 

image.thumb.png.cb0aff8e5127512828c828ec9707aa10.png

This says it better than I can:

image.png.761bfd25554e92462026f3f0621d47b7.png

image.png

Hexheads have a round plastic cover that engages with a 1/4 turn to open and close access to the rear of the headlight bulbs. I don't think there is room for LED's that have the bulky fan for cooling. I have used that type of LED in other bikes but they don't fit in a hexhead without leaving the cover off or cutting a hole in it. It would be easier if the cover was rubber instead of hard plastic. I didn't want to leave off or molest the covers and open the head light unit up for dust and water egress so I am not able to use the LEDs I'd like to at present. The ones with braided copper heat sinks are seemingly not available at this time. I've been looking regularly on Amazon and fleaBay with no joy.

The only way I have been able to change low beam bulbs is using the method DR described. Sit on a stool or kneel next the front wheel facing forward and reach up from underneath and do it by feel. I reach in to remove the left side cover but the reach to the connections is awkward, easier to manipulate from reaching up from underneath. If you are lucky the plastic connector is intact and remains so. Mine crumbled so the connections are made by connecting each wire individually to the tabs on the bulbs.

Well I got that sombitch installed tonight. Right side low beam, turned bars all the way to the left (I think) , tabs on bulb inserted into a 12" long piece of hose. Somehow I got the spring hooked on. I think it's broken, only held on one side. The plastic plug thing is broken, plugged each line in separately. Will probably take the whole thing apart this winter and replace the bail wire and the connector block. Both lights work! Whew.  Dave

• Like 1
10 hours ago, GordonB said:

Congrats! On the bright side, that was the most difficult bulb to change. The LH and Center bulbs are much much easier.!

Is there some obstacle in the way for the RH bulb ...?

Or is it a matter of if you are righthanded or lefthanded...?

Bravo Dave P. Been there, done that. Takes extraordinary patience and finesse for what should be a simple task. Sometimes, i wonder about BMW engineering and design. It will take me more than an hour to change the air filter on my 18RT. Grin and bare it.

But it's not just BMW. Had to remove the wheel and wheel well several years back to replace a headlight bulb in a Subaru Outback. Go figure.

• Plus 1 1

Bob- they've been at it for a while. On our 03 New Beetle I had to remove the entire headlight assembly to change a bulb. Remove whole front "bumper" to replace radiator. Stuff is designed for the showroom, not the shop.D

On my 09 Silverado, you were supposed to pull the steering column to change the spark plug closest to the firewall. Fortunately, a mechanic friend fabricated a special tool to get to the spark plug.

On 9/29/2022 at 6:04 AM, dirtrider said:

Morning Dave

On the Hexhead 1200RT's I usually work from the front for the R/H side bulb.  I sit on a milk crate (or just kneel) then reach up over the front fender. If the horn is in the way I unbolt that & move it out of the way but usually I can work around it. 

The positive part about working from the front is being able to see the bulb tabs properly seat by looking in through the front light lens.  For the rest you have to work by feel but that isn't too bad as once you see a picture of bulb & clip area it is pretty straight forward & the "by-feel" works pretty good. 

If your bulb clip just came out of it's hinge tabs then you can also reinstall that from the front by working by-feel (use Redman's picture above for clip install reference). It's not easy but clip re-install  is doable from the front if you are persistent.   Just don't get frustrated, work on it & if doesn't go back in then walk away for a few minutes, calm down, look at the picture again, then go back in with a fresh mind & non cramped hands & try again. 

It WILL go back in with enough tries if you are persistent & don't get frustrated.

Now if that clip is actually broken then you have problems as BMW doesn't service that part individually. At one time (long ago) someone had some extra clips made up but I can't remember who & I don't believe they had many made up. 

A used broken headlight from E-Bay is probably a good place to obtain a good used clip. 

On my hexhead and camhead I did all headlight bulb replacements from the front. RH side was easier but for me, working from the front was easiest way.

• Like 1
The Rocketman

Real sorry I'm late to the party. I'm the one who had the H7 bulb retaining clips custom manufactured and sold a few here. I now have them custom made exclusively for Mike at Beemer Boneyard, and they can be purchased through him. I just shipped him 100 a couple of weeks ago.

10% off your order using "BMWMOA" discount code when you check out.

https://www.beemerboneyard.com/r12h7bulbclip.html

This was my original post:

My Volvo uses H7 halogens, When I get to the reassembly phase of this I might see if I can use a clip from a junkyard Volvo headlight. Easy enough to try. Dave

On 9/30/2022 at 8:19 PM, Redman said:

Is there some obstacle in the way for the RH bulb ...?

The cruise control actuator is under the right side IIRC.......

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

yea . well... those damn bulbs! And the brighter the bulb, the quicker it burns out. One Winter in 2010, I'd grown tired of replacing the bulbs and cutting up my hand the nursing the fragile brittle connectors on and off. As other have mentioned, replacing them with a different setup might take some effort up front, but you won't have t do it again. In my case, I took the front apart - pulled the dash and pulled the front clip. I replaced my bulbs with HID's and have never looked back. When I sold the 06 and got the 10, I transferred the lights to the camhead and put the factory lights back int he 06. LED's may be easier - they have come a long way since 2010. Personally, I still prefer the HID's, cuz I just do.

I guess the point is, you'll be back changing a bulb before you know it. The more you do them, the easier it becomes. But it might be worth you time to go with a different setup and be done with it once and for all.