IGNORED

Utah SR-153 (Beaver Canyon Scenic Byway) is Worthy

BrianT

When I was planning for Fall Torrey this year, I decided to look if there was something different for me to see on the way up.  I've stopped in Beaver, UT for gas a few times when passing through the area or coming from Ely, NV to top off for the rest of the ride to Torrey.  But I never noticed Utah SR-153, also known as the Beaver Canyon Scenic Byway and this time it caught my eye.  It connects Beaver, UT at the I-15 to Junction, UT at US-89.  It's a state road that's paved and has a dirt portion.  I'm not used to speed limit signs on dirt roads.

Having now ridden it, here's my take on it.  I'll also preface this with I may be experienced on the pavement, but I'm very much a novice on dirt and still learning.  Not to mention my GS was fully loaded for the 6-day Torrey trip, including a 43L Givi topcase meant for street bikes.  Experienced dirt riders will probably laugh at me calling the dirt portion a dirt road.  It could be done with street bikes and basic cars.  Thanks to @David13 for passing on info about the road when I was researching taking it.

Travelling from Beaver, UT eastbound the road starts off with 23 miles of curvy 2nd and 3rd gear turns that parallel a running creek.  Well maintained pavement and lots of scenery.  Don't know if Thursday was a low traffic day compared to the weekend, but I think I saw 3 cars the entire way up.  Felt like a free track day.  There are open range cows and some cowpies in the road to keep a look out for.  The road climbs from a 5,900 foot elevation at Beaver, UT up to 9,200 feet in about 23 miles.  At that point the pavement ends and it continues as a hard packed, well maintained, dirt road wide enough for two-way traffic.

The dirt portion continues uphill to 10,200 feet before reaching the top and a long way down towards Junction, UT at 6000 feet.  The dirt portion is 14 miles long and closes during the winter.  The only iffy parts were a few switchbacks on a steep downhill portion that had a thin layer of gravel making the turns interesting without a guard rail and a front wheel that wanted to drift to the outside.  The plus side was a fantastic view of the valley below where the road goes to.  There were some light washboard areas, but nothing too bad and on the bike I was able to avoid a lot of it.  Also, some light potholes, but once again not a lot and easy to avoid on the bike.

When the pavement returns, it's 5 more miles to Junction Utah and the US-89.  It's a standard rolling country two lane road, with once again more open range cows.  And now for the pics to give you an idea what I tried to describe.

The first paved portion heading up from Beaver, UT

IMG_1891.thumb.jpg.9d27299f785a6626665c6d8a3b11fbc2.jpg

Warning near the end of the pavement.  Note the huge RV pulling a big trailer trying to decide if the sign means it.

IMG_1896.thumb.jpg.3709a68bc5ae2239af8d3d084e82b123.jpg

Where the pavement ends and the dirt begins

IMG_1898.thumb.jpg.f9ff57360941aad2c0205ce12c151179.jpg

This is the view you get most of the way up to the top

IMG_1900.thumb.jpg.a86111093c4500fd58fe61a5df6eb4aa.jpg

The view at the top.  Flat, expansive and wide open.

IMG_1903.thumb.jpg.fc12d7da7718022a4657c744dd9fc404.jpg

On the way down.  Lots more yellow in the leaves for the east side of the mountain.

IMG_1914.thumb.jpg.05f8f0f905e9587168396b6e289bf621.jpg

The view on the eastside down towards Junction, UT.  Yes, this road connects all the way down to the green farm looking area below in the distance.

IMG_1916.thumb.jpg.afdc46eaeeb48e178f83445fd87708db.jpg

Did I mention impressive views?

IMG_1917.thumb.jpg.c3ce2467375d01a47e1ee9e66996a0c0.jpg

Where the dirt ended and the pavement returned.  Note the locals who have that, "GET OFF MY LAWN" look.

IMG_1919.thumb.jpg.c3a8d681ca547305c60f2cd07a3e7a95.jpg

So, to sum it up it's a combined 28 miles of pavement with 14 miles of well maintained dirt in the middle.  Climbs 4300 feet and drops back down 4200 feet.  Makes for a scenic way to get from I-15 to US-89 if you've got the time for it.  I highly recommend this road.

• Like 9
17 minutes ago, don v said:

Brian,  On a side note- Do you miss the FJR or has the GS  been a good move?

Nothing wrong with the FJR and it did everything I wanted it to on the road.  I thought I'd miss it more, but this GS also does everything I want it to on road and adds the option of off road.  It only gives up a little weather protection to the FJR, but absolutely loved it for the trip to across the country to the UN and back.  If I had kept my FJR in addition to the GS, the FJR would not be ridden enough.  Very happy with the GS.

• Like 1

Thanks for the thoughts on the GS Brian.  My RT got taken out by a tourist  in July and I am thinking about what  the replacement will be. Enjoyed the write-up and pics,   thanks.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Looks like a beautiful place to ride! :thumbsup:

It is Pat and we are awaiting your arrival...!  and maybe others too!

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
  • Thanks 1