IGNORED

Shop Manual for 2018 R1200 GS??

BmwGSdude

They are no longer sold by BMW.  There are several threads on the manuals not being sold anymore.  Only real choice is to find someone selling one they no longer need, the Haynes equivalent or a bootleg copy.

1 hour ago, BmwGSdude said:

Does anyone know where to find a full Shop manual for the 2018 r1200 GS?

Ebay, search for something like "2018 R1200GS service workshop manual".  (You're not looking for "Owners Manual" or a 3rd party printed manual, you want the OEM).

Yes, it WILL be a bootleg version, as bootleggers are the only available source for a Wethead or Shiftcam, BMW manual.   Try to get the latest date range (e.g. "2014, 2015, 2016, 2017), as the OEM manual is regularly updated, and someone has cloned a moment-in-time version of it.  

I believe that the reason that you won't find an OEM bootleg dated "2014-2018", is that about in 2017, BMW decided not to sell their service manuals anymore.   Which is why my 2018 BMW RT, with it's 2017 bootleg manual, is the last BMW I'll buy, unless perhaps I buy a 2018 R1200GS some time down the road.   BMW has demonstrated that is an unreliable manufacturer, not just with this service manual move, but tons of other things which essential tell their customers "GFY" with an extended, unfriendly finger.  I like the products they have produced, but I've had enough of the manufacturer.

But that's just me.  Most don't have a problem with BMW.

• Plus 1 1

I stopped dead in my tracks on any new BMW motorcycle due to no service DVD.

I have a Haynes and a DVD for my 17.5 when they sold such things.

I will not buy a motorcycle I can not work on.  And since BMW knows they are not producing any DVD's how are you going to do the work? 

Yes I know bootleg  DVD's are available but for 3 years of warranty you are at the mercy of a Dealer.  If something goes and you been doing self maintenance I think BMW will say unless you have proof of a OEM DVD you messed the bike up and not honor your warranty work.  Their reason will be how could you know specs without a OEM DVD.  Your not going to produce the Flea Bay DVD to your dealer in your defense. 

My 17.5 has never seen the dealer.  Well this Spring I had them update the bike and paid them 50 bucks for my non TFT GS but nothing else.  My 15 RT only saw them on the 600 mile.  My 07 LT only the 600 mile.  I just am not giving them the money they demand for not only labor but for materials, it is out of hand. 

With BMW not offering a DVD they have locked you into their dealers.  They are trying to be a monopoly as even Independent shops will not be able to service your bike even if the owner is/was a BMW Master Tech.  They cant play that card just yet as they did sell OEM 1250 DVD's and some people have legit copy's and can produce them so that Ace is still in the hole. 

But whatever the next motor is that will be the lock.  It will be over for self maintenance and Warranty Work.

They lost me on the R18 for this very reason.  .9% interest from BMW and 3K off at that time.  I see interest is 1.9% now.  But I digress.  So I want a Transcontinental got a good price, low offer on trade in but was not a big deal as I was going to sell it private for more then they offered.  But while still mulling it over I said what about service?  I can not pay a Dealer what he want to work on my bike, in a time frame they set, and any one of the tech's touching my bike just did not sit well.  If they would have had the 100 dollar DVD there I would have been riding a R18 for a few weeks now.  But that is what stopped me from going thru with the deal. 

I hope someone brings a Class Action on them as has been done to Caterpillar and I think John Deere over no service information available.  I don't think it is legal to keep service material away from the consumer.  It is a Lock, A Monopoly, and totally goes against Right to Repair covered by the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act!

It is a money grab for Dealers, nothing more, nothing less!

15 minutes ago, LAF said:

Yes I know bootleg  DVD's are available but for 3 years of warranty you are at the mercy of a Dealer.  If something goes and you been doing self maintenance I think BMW will say unless you have proof of a OEM DVD you messed the bike up and not honor your warranty work.  Their reason will be how could you know specs without a OEM DVD.  Your not going to produce the Flea Bay DVD to your dealer in your defense. 

I highly doubt this outcome unless you did screw up the maintenance  

12 hours ago, MikeB60 said:

I highly doubt this outcome unless you did screw up the maintenance  

Well you have more trust in BMW then I do.  Of course I only been riding them since 2007 so you may have better experiences then I do with dealers.

We will just watch and see.  BMW is on a tear to support their dealers and I can tell you it is going to get ugly moving on.  Just wait to this new moor comes out whatever it may be.  NO DVD anywhere, what are you going to do at home?  You will have no point of reference whatsoever.  No information how you going to 'splain that to a hard ass dealer who you have not patronized for service as you did your own by the seat of your pants.

The reason most of the information is available is JVB Productions and Boxflyer as they both got their hands on a 1250 DVD.  ON the 1300 or 1350 or whatever it is going to be will have NO DVD's out so where is your service reference?  You going to tell a dealer you got them off a Internet Forum? 

If you dont wrench not a big deal.  If your rolling in dough no issues.  If your a guy who trust his own wrenching skills compared to any dealer tech they give your bike too then a Service DVD is a must.

Like I say I got a OEM DVD and a Haynes for my 17.5 so I am good till I die. 

I will watch as this rape by BMW continues and the BMW fleet dwindles.  You know we are such a small market for BMW they just don't care.  I think we are like 8.3% of BMW sales worldwide.  It is just ridiculous that this is allowed to happen.  So as many others I will ride what I own and can keep, or go to another brand if something happens. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

LAF, you say "Like I say I got a OEM DVD and a Haynes for my 17.5 so I am good till I die."

What Haynes manual do you have?  I'm having difficulty locating one for my 2018.  Latest I see online it 05-09 models?

Do you have the ISBN?

20 hours ago, Jimmy2Time said:

LAF, you say "Like I say I got a OEM DVD and a Haynes for my 17.5 so I am good till I die."

What Haynes manual do you have?  I'm having difficulty locating one for my 2018.  Latest I see online it 05-09 models?

Do you have the ISBN?

I got it in 17 so have no idea where I got it.  I bought the DVD from a BMW dealer.

Should be able to source the Haynes even in a used condition will beat a blank.

I have a lifetime online  subscription for my USA 2013 RT. It is actually a manual for BMW R1200 dohc (10-12) as they do not list the RT for 2013. It is my understanding Water cooled RT was introduced in Europe in 2013 but uSA got the

oil cooled version. Can anyone confirm that I have the correct manual.

1 hour ago, lather said:

I have a lifetime online  subscription for my USA 2013 RT. It is actually a manual for BMW R1200 dohc (10-12) as they do not list the RT for 2013. It is my understanding Water cooled RT was introduced in Europe in 2013 but uSA got the

oil cooled version. Can anyone confirm that I have the correct manual.

Your correct, the 2014 was the first wethead model year in the USA.  Your 10-12 RT manual would be correct for the 2013R1200RT 

• Plus 1 1