IGNORED

R1200ST Fuel smell

punchesdfw

My bike has been setting for several months due to an illness. I got her out today and it felt great! But after a while I began to notice a raw fuel smell. I can't find a leak anywhere. Has somebody else had this problem? Thanks, Doug

John Ranalletta

Doug, just last week had a gas smell and found I hadn't secured the filler tube cap.  Hope it's as simple as that for you.  If not, check the fuel lines and quick disconnects.

31 minutes ago, punchesdfw said:

My bike has been setting for several months due to an illness. I got her out today and it felt great! But after a while I began to notice a raw fuel smell. I can't find a leak anywhere. Has somebody else had this problem? Thanks, Doug

Afternoon  punchesdfw

It could be your filler cap leaking fumes, I have seen a few of those 1200ST fuel caps leak some gas fumes at the gasket area due to a weak fit.  Difficult to find without unplugging the vent hose between the tank & the evap canister then blowing air into the vent hose with your mouth & seeing if the cap leaks air out. This typically doesn't leak much of any  liquid fuel as usually just the fuel smell gets out & gives you a fuel smell. 

Of it could just be that the evap canister is full  due to being stored with a very full fuel tank. Maybe try riding it for a while to see if the gas small goes away.

Or possibly a seep at the fuel pump pass-through that seals itself up after engine has run for a while.

It can sometimes be difficult to track down a gas smell with no actual liquid leak showing. 

On 9/24/2022 at 3:05 PM, John Ranalletta said:

Doug, just last week had a gas smell and found I hadn't secured the filler tube cap.  Hope it's as simple as that for you.  If not, check the fuel lines and quick disconnects.

Ended-up.., that's exactly what it was!  Gas cap came open, but looked closed. Thanks everyone

• Like 2