IGNORED

Touratech Aventuro Carbon 2 Helmet Review

MotoNews

Published in: Gear

Touratech Aventuro Carbon 2 Helmet Review intro

Life is better when things fit right. Too hot, too cold, maybe a little loose… a game we’ve all played when trying to find the right riding gear, from fingers to feet, top to bottom. My hunt for the right helmet has been long and arduous. I’ve worn everything from $100 open-face lids to $1,000+ carbon race helmets intended for MotoGP speeds. Finding a helmet for a long-distance adventure ride is a particularly difficult deal. Unlike a short dirt or dual-sport ride, you need to be prepared to knock down numerous highway miles en route to your next destination. And unlike an entirely on-road ride, your helmet must handle the dust and dirt of an off-road adventure. It needs to be a jack-of-all-trades. It should be comfortable for long days on pavement or dirt, and able to withstand the weather and what it will likely throw at you. It should also provide enough ventilation and airflow so that it won’t fog up or overheat your head when riding more difficult terrain.

I picked up Touratech’s Aventuro Carbon helmet a few years ago when it was first released. The fit was a little funny for me, though. I typically wear a size L; however, I had to opt for an XL due to the shape of the shell, and my prominent chin. I added additional padding, which was provided with the helmet, to accomplish the correct fit. An easy fix, and ultimately the helmet became my outright favorite, choosing it over many others when called upon to test ride a new ADV machine or take a long dual-sport ride down south. So, when Touratech announced an updated version of the Aventuro Carbon 2, I was excited to see what changes they had made to upgrade my well-loved lid.

Touratech Aventuro Carbon2 Review 1

One of the features I liked most on the first generation Aventuro Carbon was the extendable visor. At first glance it seemed a little gimmicky, but when riding into the sun late in the day that little extra bit of visor really helps keep the sun out of your eyes. The Aventuro Carbon 2’s peak has a more streamlined shape with ports that manage airflow, reducing turbulence. It’s also removable without the use of tools and features a built-in camera mount on the top. Over-sized cutouts allow wind to travel underneath the peak and then exit cleanly to the rear, minimizing drag. Larger vents on the top of the helmet have increased airflow by a claimed 40%. With larger vents and a new one right under the peak that features a cowling to scoop air in, neck fatigue is drastically reduced; turning your head at speed is no longer a test of neck strength. The chin vent has been redesigned to be more glove-friendly, and the chin strap has an increased width to improve overall comfort.

The face shield is unchanged from the first Aventuro Carbon design and continues to provide great visibility and ease of use, especially while wearing gloves. One of my favorite features about the helmet is that you can wear goggles without having to remove the face shield. There’s even a goggle clip on the back of the helmet to keep your strap in place!

All combined, the changes made on the Aventuro Carbon 2 are slight, but certainly noticeable. Comfort is improved across the board, and the helmet feels more streamlined at speed. My large-sized shell, with the visor installed, tips the scales at a featherweight 3 lb., 1 oz., which means wearing the helmet for six-plus hours a day is not going to kill your neck. As with the first generation of Aventuro Carbon, this helmet will likely be my go-to lid for adventure and dual-sport motorcycle rides for the foreseeable future.

Touratech Aventuro Carbon2 Review 2

Touratech-USA.com

MSRP: $699

PROS:

• Lightweight carbon shell
  • Modular visor goes from street to dirt use easily
  • Ability to wear goggles without removing the face shield
  • Improved airflow over previous model
  • Reduced neck fatigue due to peak aerodynamic improvements

CONS:

• Sizing options are a little confusing
  • Price is a bit steep