IGNORED

Pike’s Peak the wrong way

Darbarian

Nobody could tell me, but I'll give a go at warning those capable of listening ...

I am a returning rider who is definitely not young, flexible or strong. I picked up a new 2009 BMW R1200RT in Denver (14,000 miles on odometer)... took the dealership until 6PM (well into Denver's going home commute traffic) to send me down the road. My first hour on the bike was slightly uncomfortable surrounded by commuters as I made my way to a family reunion in Monument, Colorado.

Friday morning, I spent my second, third and fourth hours on my new bike driving to, then up Pike's Peak Highway to the thin air at 14,100 feet. The roads are, uh, breathtaking... literally... not particularly wide with no shoulders and drop-offs down to infinity. The turns go from what we might call tight-twisties to parking-lot-sharp, steep switchbacks.

The air, starting at 7,000 feet and running up to just over 14,000 feet is not oxygen rich ... said another way, breathing is not as easy as most of us are used to.

DO NOT DRIVE PIKE'S PEAK HIGHWAY WITHOUT HUNDREDS OF HOURS ON YOUR BIKE.

Normal people will not go up that highway in/on any vehicle. Regular adventurous people will ride with drivers who have earned superior trust somehow. Advanced adventurous people will drive up and back in cars with white knuckles on steering wheel.

Wild ones are more casual, perhaps even riding familiar motorcycles up and down.

NUTZ and those ignorant of this road's realities think it might be a good place for an orientation ride. Yep. That was me.

Well above the tree line I decided I had enough. The road is very definitely too narrow for moderately skilled, or low skilled riders to turn around. I glanced up to see the switchbacks and mountain above me going to infinity. ****!

I dunno, I probably would have gone all the way even if there was a way out. I am not so bright that way.

I was not alone in the motorcycle parking lot working to psych myself for the ride back down that road.

If there ever was a time to chant the mantra, "Look where you want to go. DO NOT look where you do not want to go." This is the time to chant that one.

Oddly, I found it necessary to overtake quite a few cautious cagers on both the ride up and the ride back. Most would pull off onto one of the numerous turnouts whenever their mirrors became occupied. Some are so intensely concentrating on their windshield that they won't pull off no matter what.

On the other hand... Yes. I am glad I did it. I do not expect another chance to take that ride in my lifetime. I have now officially been there, done that.

The return trip up four lanes of interstate on a Labor Day Weekend Friday was not conducive for winding down from my mountain climbing adventure. Another on the list of things to not repeat.

R1200 top of Pike's Peak (cropped).JPG

R1200 mileage at Pike's Peak.JPG

Pike's Peak highway 9.jpg

Pike's Peak highway 7

• Like 6

That was a pretty good write up! Your honesty is appreciated and your apprehension familiar to me on a few rides that I've gotten in a little deeper than I expected. I always wanted to ride Pike's Peak, but now you've got me rethinking. Though I'd probably still give it a go.

Glad you made it out alive!

I rode up Pikes Peek in 1982. The road from the brake inspection shack to the top was gravel not paved as it is now. I would ride up again if I am close. I don’t think it would be as nerve racking now as it was then.

Next time you're in Monument, CO, take a ride down to Canon City and ride up and over Skyline Drive. <insert evil grin here>

Westcliffe%20&%20Skyline%20ride%20019-M.

Westcliffe%20&%20Skyline%20ride%20020-X2

• Like 2

My rookie season with my new-to-me R1200RS-P will be long gone before I venture more than a day away from my neighborhood. The long two-day haul to Monument Colorado is unlikely to be repeated in the foreseeable future.

Let's talk about The Bitterroot. I might do Highway 12... perhaps Dillon, Phillipsburg, Salmon ... so many good choices within reach.  I need some saddle time to get back on top ... remain on top of my motorcycle. Underneath is no good. 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Thank you for this candid, cautionary post. I’m preparing for riding some of Colorado’s high paved roads and your comment about some riders not being able to turn around is eye opening. I’ve never been happy with my ability to do tight u-turns. You’ve shown that i have to do much better with that skill before heading up. 

I still that riding up Pikes Peak now that it is pave all the way should not be that bad. Yea there are no guard rails but it was that way when it was all gravel to. I had no dirt bike riding experience when I went up. Yes it was nerve racking and the only time I had on oh shit moment was close to the top. Make one of the turns you are loo up the road and it look like it was a 90 degree angle. But l like it has been said you can’t turn around at times. Just take your time going up and down the ste see going down so don’t over heat the brakes. When I get close again will do it again.

Dennis Andress
On 9/10/2022 at 6:13 PM, Darbarian said:

....   I need some saddle time to get back on top ... remain on top of my motorcycle. Underneath is no good. 

Darby to Twin Falls is an excellent ride. Just work at it until you can get there and back in a day.

6 hours ago, Dennis Andress said:

Darby to Twin Falls is an excellent ride. Just work at it until you can get there and back in a day.

That has a certain appeal.  I have a motorcycling shirtsleeve relative in Twin Falls that would be happy to host me for a sleepover ... or meet me for lunch ... or meet me half way ...   Lots of choices. 

I have made my 64-mile round trip to the Idaho border twice this week. A quarter of it is perfect pavement, two uphill lanes for easy overtaking and LOTS of turns as it climbs to Lost Trail Pass. I cannot imagine a better place for reacquiring cornering confidence and overall comfort on my bike. 

I passed a white van through a curve on the way up. It pulled over across the highway from where I had U-turned and parked for the photo below. He studied me, looped around and pulled up nearby. I walked to his driver's window expecting some "crazy rider" rant.  A solo Asian driver (I guess Vietnamese or Thai) with good, accented English asked if I was making a movie.

No. 

When you passed me on the corner, leaning over, I just wanted to tell you That was a thing of beauty. 

Wow. Just the opposite of my expectation.

We chatted amiably for a bit, then went our separate ways.   

I confess, the bike and tires have A LOT more lean left in them. That is a comfortable margin I will likely keep on reserve. 

94044521_Darby31miles.thumb.JPG.688ecab9d53c889de6512957326ca8ed.JPG

• Like 4
Danny caddyshack Noonan
On 10/6/2022 at 9:25 AM, Darbarian said:

I have made my 64-mile round trip to the Idaho border twice this week. A quarter of it is perfect pavement, two uphill lanes for easy overtaking and LOTS of turns as it climbs to Lost Trail Pass. I cannot imagine a better place for reacquiring cornering confidence and overall comfort on my bike. 

I passed a white van through a curve on the way up. It pulled over across the highway from where I had U-turned and parked for the photo below. He studied me, looped around and pulled up nearby. I walked to his driver's window expecting some "crazy rider" rant.  A solo Asian driver (I guess Vietnamese or Thai) with good, accented English asked if I was making a movie.

No. 

When you passed me on the corner, leaning over, I just wanted to tell you That was a thing of beauty. 

Wow. Just the opposite of my expectation.

We chatted amiably for a bit, then went our separate ways.   

I confess, the bike and tires have A LOT more lean left in them. That is a comfortable margin I will likely keep on reserve. 

That stretch of road is one reason I decided to move to the Bitterroot.  Riding down along Koocanusa a day earlier didn't hurt.