IGNORED

Driveshaft U-Joint Replacement

smiller

Has anyone out there ever replaced the U-joints in an oilhead driveshaft? I have a little notchiness in one joint and it looks a simple press-fit replacement vs. tossing the entire (and expensive) driveshaft assembly.

it looks a simple press-fit replacement
If you can find a fit, should/could work. I don't think BMW sells the joint itself separately.
I don't think BMW sells the joint itself separately.
No, apparently not.

I measure 20mm overall length, 19mm bearing cap diameter and 12mm bearing cap height. Guess I'll try a local driveshaft place. Hopefully this isn't a special production piece like the swingarm bearings.

Seth,

There is a company up in WI that will replace the U-Joints on any BMW driveshaft. I've sent him a couple over the years but I can't find his E-mil right now....I'll keep looking.

Mick

UPDATE:

Machine Service Industry

100 Ashwaubenon St.

Green Bay, WI 54304 Attention: Mitch

1 800 677 8711

Thanks Mick. Come to think of it I see that Brunos does this work as well but easier to ship to WI than Canada. My preference would be to do the work myself but I don't have the ability to stake the caps in place and I don't know if a press-fit only is adequate.

Thanks Mick. Come to think of it I see that Brunos does this work as well but easier to ship to WI than Canada. My preference would be to do the work myself but I don't have the ability to stake the caps in place and I don't know if a press-fit only is adequate.

I'm pretty sure they HAVE to be staked. One of the shafts I sent to Mitch was junk because there was not enough material left to get a good hold on the new U-joint. Give him a call on his 800#

Mick

Seth,

Here is another option:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130764

Guy Hendersen

Hendersen Precision Mfg.

(209) 962-7500

guy@hendersenprecision.com

$325 for both U-Joints.

Mick

Archived