IGNORED

Aux Power Outlet Question

Brad_H

Just ordered a new Blue 2023 r1250rt after letting my r1200rt go a couple of years ago. My memory has faded and I have no manual yet.

I think I used to connect my Gerbing heated jacket to the Aux Connector on the rear of the bike. I believe it draws about 6 amps max. Does that load current seem OK for the Aux connector ports?

Should I put an SAE pigtail on the battery for the jacket? My inclination is it should be pigtailed.

Your thoughts?

Thanks

My bike came with the SAE two-prong pigtail already installed, but that was on a '19 model.   That was way before the pandemic changed things around.  Perhaps some board members that bought  '22 models can confirm if they still have the pigtails wired into the battery,

I'm not completely sure, but I thinkg the Aux ports....cigar lighter, have a 15 amp load.  I have a 2014 RT wet, and I use the cigar plug on the right hand side to drive my heated gerbings jacket and heated gloves. 

10 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

Perhaps some board members that bought  '22 models can confirm if they still have the pigtails wired into the battery,

No pigtail on bikes come from Germany, at least not to other countries. Whatever was sold in the U.S. with it fitted, was installed locally. This is what a number of owners have stated over there.

8 hours ago, Skywagon said:

I'm not completely sure, but I thinkg the Aux ports....cigar lighter, have a 15 amp load.  I have a 2014 RT wet,

The '21 and on bikes have a combined 12 Amps available between the two sockets. I wired the rear socket (for the wife's heated vest and possible other heated pieces in the future)  directly to the battery and kept the front original for my heated pants.

Before the pandemic, some dealers would install the pigtails so that they may maintain battery levels whilst the bike is on the showroom floor.   The times are a little different as most new bikes are are now ordered and do not get to be displayed until sold; dealers may not need to install the wiring.

16 hours ago, Brad_H said:

I think I used to connect my Gerbing heated jacket to the Aux Connector on the rear of the bike. I believe it draws about 6 amps max. Does that load current seem OK for the Aux connector ports?

Should I put an SAE pigtail on the battery for the jacket? My inclination is it should be pigtailed.

Your thoughts?

Thanks

I always have an outlet on the left side panel for my heated gear and for the battery charger ( Powerlet socket w/15amp fuze ). I did this on my 14,18 and 21RTs.

accessory socket.jpg

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Bob H. said:

I always have an outlet on the left side panel for my heated gear and for the battery charger ( Powerlet socket w/15amp fuze ). I did this on my 14,18 and 21RTs.

accessory socket.jpg

I’ve done the same thing on most of the bikes I’ve owned. 

image.thumb.jpeg.287b2216496613e4ce92d6bab6416c1c.jpeg

• Like 1