Anybody Got a Injector cap??????

PoPo

While putting the tranny back into its place I broke the right injector cover. From BMW its an assy($100). Bike is a 2001 R1100S. If you have one laying around please let me know. Thanks

While putting the tranny back into its place I broke the right injector cover. From BMW its an assy($100). Bike is a 2001 R1100S. If you have one laying around please let me know. Thanks

Solvent weld it, or glue it. Is there a mark on its underside stating (for recycling purposes) what it is made of? All German plastic has one. e.g. "ABS" or "PC" (sometimes with a percentage glass fiber or "GF"). Tell me what it says it is made of, and preferably include a photo, and I should be able to tell you how to properly fix it.

Bob.

Bart Anderson

Here's a pic of PoPo's broken right injector cover/clamp, #4 in the service manual diagram it's sitting upon:

72378812-M.jpg

There are no markings anywhere on it. It look like BMW only sells it as part of the fuel distribution assembly #13537664858, shown here with our part circled:

72378715-S.jpg

The hope is that someone has needed to replace another part of the assembly at some point, and has this piece sitting in a drawer or box somewhere. Any guidance on where else on the web we should be asking around about this will be appreciated. A cross-search on part number for the assembly on the RealOEM site says this is the only bike this assembly is used on.

As far as repairing it goes, that'd be great but would make me a bit nervous given the fuel pressures involved. Again, there are no markings of any kind on this piece, so which glue to use is a big question. We're open to any/all suggestions!

As far as repairing it goes, that'd be great but would make me a bit nervous given the fuel pressures involved. Again, there are no markings of any kind on this piece, so which glue to use is a big question. We're open to any/all suggestions!

Fuel pressure is irrelivant. The clip (item 2) is what "sees" the force due to fuel pressure. Also, the operating pressure is pretty small (less than 50psi), and the area it acts on is a tiny fraction of a square inch, so total force is only on the order of 5 pounds or so.

As for repairing the part, solvent welding is the best method (if the material is solvent weldable) and the result will be plenty strong enough. But the material type is needed. Odd that there is no plastic ID on the part. Normally everything made in Germany MUST (by law) have this.

As a last resort, send me the part and I can almost certainly repair it if it is a clean break.

Bob.

Bart Anderson

Thanks Bob. PoPo has bitten the bullet and a new assembly is on order from ChicBMW. The risk, however slight, of gas workings its way through a repair and spraying all over his right leg while riding down the road was just too much.

So, if anyone needs any other part of this assembly in the future, I hope they can find this thread in a search and contact one of us.

Thanks again...

Archived