IGNORED

1250 valve clearance?

Ms Traveler

Hello, my 1250GS has just over 11k miles and approaching the service time real soon. I have looked over the service requirement and the only thing im not clear on is the valve clearance checks. I have done them on my 2016 GS and have all the tools from my dad. Just wondering how much different the 1250 is? Will the tools I have work fine? thanks. 

Nothing special needed to do the checks. If you need to adjust the valves, there are differences in the necessary tools.  Check out Boxflyers youtube channel for the specifics on the 12000 mile service Link

Very informative thanks for the link. So it appears I need a new alignment jig and spacer sleeve. I'll hunt these parts down, thanks. 

Valve clearance checks need NO alignment jigs or cam tensioner…

Just position the cams so that the base circle is on the follower, take the measurements then swap out shims as needed. 
You may be confusing the process for checking and adjusting the cam timing. 

They are usually done at the same time, but there’s no need to find/buy the expensive timing tools for the clearance checks. 

• Like 4
  • Plus 1 1

I would like to check the cam alignment while I replace the shims. I have all the tools from my dads 1200gs. I found the cam alignment jig for the 1250 online and ordered it, but unable to find the correct spacer sleeve for the 1250. 

any help finding this spacer sleeve would be wonderful. 

thanks, Leslie

Since their are none of these parts avaliable I guess I will need to have one fabricated. If anyone would have this spacer sleeve for the 1250- part # 83300444282. Could you please measure the inner and outter diameter and length? 

Cam chain tensioner sleeve for 1250 83300444282

image.png.a035a0b14a0fd52cf23a1ba9445361eb.png

image.png

I have seen the videos, very informative and well done, thanks.

I am looking for the sleeve or measurements of the sleeve at this time so I can complete my cam alignment and shim replacements. 

The videos below (thanks Brad!) show how Brad makes the DIY tools for cam chain tensioner.   He uses a 42 mm long copper sleeve, made out of a 3/4" copper pipe.

• Thanks 1