IGNORED

Saturday Ride

MikeB60

Really had the itch last week to do some mountain riding.  Just spent a couple of weeks in Dahlonega on an investigation and it sucked being in the area without a bike or time to ride.  

So when the Frau decided to head to Panama City for the weekend I decided to hit the mountains. Ideally I would have spent the night in a hotel but I am also dog sitting and working today so that wasn't an option. 

Called my son and asked he he wanted to go and warned him it would be a long ride. He has been itching to get the Tiger out on a long ride and jumped at the chance. 

We left the house at 0800 and took US 27 to Rome GA, made our way to US441 to Etowah, turned east on TN 310 to TN 39 and stopped at Tellico Plains Bakery for lunch.  Three folk who were just a little older than me joined us and come to find out they were Nashville, my hometown. We reminisced about growing up in the "old Nashville" was a great visit!  

Mike II had never ridden in the mountains so after some unwanted advice from Mike Sr we headed to the Cherohala. Great ride to the NC side with only a few death defying passes we stopped at a pull out.  Mike II was ecstatic and did great chasing the old man on the big girl!  The sky's opened up we had a good laugh standing in the rain watching the Harleys ride by.  

As us common in the mountains the road was dry after about five minutes.  We blasted down to the turn to Joyce Kilmer and made our way to Deals Gap.  I typically don't ride the Dragon and instead take NC 28 but Mike II had never been on the Dragon so we stopped for a bit to watch the show at the Tail of the Dragon store.

As we were turning right on to 128 two asshats cut in front of me and I thought to myself this sucks.  Oh my God I don't know how they didn't crash on their own or didn't get into a head on crossing the double yellow. After a couple of miles the had things stacked up when a guy on a KTM super moto blasted by me and up got next to the lead asshat and got them to pull over.  Thank God!  Great ride from there and a shower of sparks from the big girl chasing the KTM and his buddy who was on a Kawasaki sport bike. From there it was get home time.  580 mile day but definitely worth it! Cleaned up the K bike this morning still looks good for 55000 miles and 9years.  Here are a few pics.

20220827_141824.thumb.jpg.8f0b54e7845551b30bf2575f5be0d7bf.jpg20220827_154437.thumb.jpg.04e6f2337c0446600d09b48ae138e66e.jpg20220828_092803.thumb.jpg.03a5030408e4f306b93a460ad99318b6.jpg20220828_100237.thumb.jpg.894beb8e34ae866fa9562746f98f7c4b.jpg20220827_141759.thumb.jpg.8a9e3951bc1b9bed63232202b0a0c876.jpg

Edited by MikeB60
Spellin
  • Like 13

Here’s a similarity worth asking about. Obviously you’re a lifelong bike nut like me. :dopeslap: Your son just started riding, (edit) (IIRC) was he busy with sports not to fall into the bike culture at a young age? My son had a little dirt-bike when he was young but one crash and that was pretty much it. Baseball, boxing, hockey, wrestling filled in the rest of his growing up. 

He definitely played every sport definitely the best athlete of our three children. We really didn't have the money or time to get the kids involved in motorcycles.  That said, and this may sound crazy, but I really didn't want the kids on motorcycles.  I had the bug and have owned a street bike since I was 14.  I've also had three bad crashes and a ton of near misses.  They rode on the back once they got older but never really showed an interest with the exception of the youngest. Had I put Mike on a dirt bike at 5 years old he would have been all about riding given his personality. 

Mike caught the bug about four years ago and bought the CBR 300.  He loves the Tiger and has taken the BRC I and II.  His braking skills need work something we are going to get after this winter. He is fearless always has been and he needs to get his skills up but I don't think he is reckless.  He has other interests and still isn't the motorcycle fanatic that I am!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1