IGNORED

Had a close call today

scottie_boy

scottie_boy

Today I went riding with my neighbor in the North Georgia mountains. As we were approaching a "T" intersection a guy in a minivan made a left hand turn in my lane. I immediately grabbed the brakes and hit the horn. What was funny is that I could see he heard my horn but had no clue as to where it was coming from. So he continued to merge out into my lane and I ended up hugging the white line between his van and the guard rail. Fortunately, he finally saw me and gave me enough room to pass by unscathed.

I posted this to remind everyone to please be careful out there, it probably won't be that hairpin corner that gets you but another inattentive driver.

Shawnee Bill

This happens to me from time to time.

While I'm driving my BIG WHITE VAN! There are folks out there that don't have a clue what's around them.

I too had a close call yesterday coming back from Eureka Springs as I was buzzing through Tulsa westbound on I-44. eek.gif

Traffic was moving pretty quickly (65-75 mph) and due to construction the lanes had narrowed with concrete barriers placed very close to the edges of the lane.

I was in the left lane and the fellow beside me (in the right lane) decides to move over into my lane to get around slow moving traffic ahead of him.

I always ride with my left thumb covering the horn button (while in traffic) and just as soon as my peripheral vision noticed the squeeze, I blasted that incredible RT horn thumbsup.gif and he whipped his car back away from me.

Had I not been 'on the button', I probably would have been slammed into that barrier and then promptly run over by a dozen other vehicles that were following me. frown.giffrown.gif

Knock on wood grin.gif

Michael

I was in the left lane and the fellow beside me (in the right lane) decides to move over into my lane to get around slow moving traffic ahead of him.

You are most gracious. The times I had this very same thing happen to me (people typically not checking the blind spot), a different description besides "fellow" was going through my head. laugh.gif

Nowadays, when I find myself in that area a little behind and to the side of some car, I get out of there promptly.

Stan Walker

Nowadays, when I find myself in that area a little behind and to the side of some car, I get out of there promptly

I have the opposite opinion. I consider the blind spot a fairly safe area to ride in as long as I'm a couple of feet behind the rear bumper of the car. While it's true the car driver may not see you as easily, that is conpemsated for because you are better able to observe him. Plus you are in a position where you won't be hit if he does change lanes.

The place I don't like to be is alongside a car. The driver may still not see you (doesn't look or doesn't care) and change lanes without warning. In this case you will get hit unless you notice and take action.

My 2 cents for today

Stan

The place I don't like to be is alongside a car. The driver may still not see you (doesn't look or doesn't care) and change lanes without warning. In this case you will get hit unless you notice and take action.

I agree I will not stay there long no matter what the situation.

Today I went riding with my neighbor in the North Georgia mountains

The next time you guys are plannig to go out shoot me an e-mail I would love to hook up with ya.

This is a combination of "Close call" and "Sad weekend for Bmw". We were on our way to 49r in Auburn starting up the I-5 (Grapevine). Smelled either hot brakes (which didn't make sense since we were starting up the hill) or diesel fuel - not sure which until we noticed slow lane next to us was wet with some wet starting into our lane. We moved over to 3rd lane. Little ways up the road was a big rig pulled over with diesel fuel gushing out of tank. Just a reminder you have to pay attention to all your senses to stay safe.

Archived