IGNORED

Where at for '23? Oakhurst or Mariposa? Weekend of April 22?

Rob Nowell

I heard some of you SoCal guys discussing relocating the base for the weekend to Mariposa.  If you'd like, I could drive/ride up and check out motels.  The sooner, the better, right?  All ya gotta do is ask...

Rob

• 5 weeks later...

We rode through during April 22 it definitely has more of a “small town” feel compared to Oakhurst. Our group actually rode part of the parade route just before it started. I would prefer Mariposa, but a discussion would be good. Food and drink walking distance is always nice, if possible.

Ne aware it’s some kind of celebration that weekend in Mariposa,  which may effect room availability. 

12 hours ago, Jim_B said:

We rode through during April 22 it definitely has more of a “small town” feel compared to Oakhurst. Our group actually rode part of the parade route just before it started. I would prefer Mariposa, but a discussion would be good. Food and drink walking distance is always nice, if possible.

Ne aware it’s some kind of celebration that weekend in Mariposa,  which may effect room availability. 

We should probably get started in this discussion soon, then; after the Torrey trip.

• 1 month later...

On 9/22/2022 at 8:12 AM, Rob Nowell said:

We should probably get started in this discussion soon, then; after the Torrey trip.

Parade we saw in Mariposa in April 2022 was the Mariposa Butterfly Festival. The weekend of the festival/parade has been moved to May 6-7, 2023. So should not interfere with April ride dates.

Mariposa is about 25 minutes further for SoCal guys compared to Oakhurst.

Lodging Options: All prices are for 2 beds

1. Monarch Inn: smack in the middle of downtown INCLUDES CONTINENTAL BREAFAST.  Lots of places to eat within 5 minute walk. $125/night

2. Yosemite Inn: at the north end of town (0.5 miles from Mariposa Lodge), INCLUDES CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST. $125 night

3. Mariposa Lodge: also middle of town, so good for food options, but NO BREAKFAST.  $125/night

Monarch Inn would be my first choice as it has both continental breakfast included, and lots of places to eat and drink very nearby. It looks like a nice place, rated 4.1 out of 5 on Expedia.

So.....Oakhurst or Mariposa?

Since Mariposa has limited lodging options compared to Oakhurst, we probably need to decide before too much longer. 

• Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...

So here goes the questions of a newbie.

Do you stay at this one location (Whatever is picked) for 2 or 3 nights?

Day rides to?

How far do you ride?

Just trying to get back to riding and am curious about joining in.

Thanks

Mike

On 11/27/2022 at 9:34 AM, KBMWGT said:

So here goes the questions of a newbie.

Do you stay at this one location (Whatever is picked) for 2 or 3 nights?

Day rides to?

How far do you ride?

Just trying to get back to riding and am curious about joining in.

Thanks

Mike

I'll try to answer, although I'm not involved with the planning on this...

We do tend to stay at one location, but if you prefer, you can certainly make accommodation some place else.

The event is generally arrive Friday leave Sunday, but of course you can stay as long as you like. There is plenty of great riding, and things to see in the area.

Saturday rides are generally planned Friday night in the motel parking lot, or at dinner. There is no "official" route. Join a group, or go where you like, do what you want. See you back at the motel when you're done.

We usually get together for dinner on Saturday night so we can brag/complain about the day.

All pretty relaxed really. I hope you can join us. This is always a great weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW, the event organizer, @CoarsegoldKid lives in Coarsegold, outside of Oakhurst, and is intimately familiar with the options.  I'm sure he'll be announcing the event at the regular time, usually January or February.  

CoarsegoldKid

Okay you guys I've brought this together for many years. First started in my backyard.  Covid years brought the usual suspects and they did the planning.  Getting rooms this early isn't really necessary.  Mariposa does have a small town feel.  Not sure it's a better place though.
I've picked last weekend in April each year to try to avoid the rains and higher tourist prices.  That would be arrive Friday ride around Saturday depart on Sunday: April 28-30.  Rooms may be a little higher this year motels are calling the tourist season earlier each year and it's the season the mountain communities take full advantage of Yosemite just up Hwy 41 as a drawing card.  Mariposa won't save you any money either as Hwy 140 leads directly to the National Park.  
Depending on conditions I may offer an off-road option for Saturday also.

If you're up to it I'll check with the motel in January.  The Comfort Inn has been the goto in previous years.  A very good restaurant is stumbling distance right across the street.  Judging by previous years arranging tables for a large group ahead of time is important.  But I could also get a large group at a restaurant one mile up Hwy 41 at El Cids.  The BBQ place is back in business for smaller groups.  The Indian restaurant is very good in the center of town.  The Brewery on Hwy 49 is also great perhaps I can get us all in there as they are using a big tent these days.

Show of hands is necessary folks.

• Plus 1 1

Speaking for myself, Oakhurst has done us very well……yeah, we miss the Dirty Donkey but the location seems to work, with some great riding in every direction. 

Two years ago, I get a call on a Wednesday from one of the usual suspects that we’re going anyhow, and boy were the locals glad to see us!
Last year we stayed at the Lodge which was fine also……

Joe you started this thing in your backyard and it’s grown into a class act, always a great time for all, thanks for not giving it up ……

(and I believe you are the one that referred to us first as The “Usual Suspects”)

And yes, the back road ride from Tehachapi will happen again……..

Thanks again

Don J

The “usual suspects”, wanting to stay anonymous..…2020

C10D10EA-BB14-4617-B28F-5EEC497E6E6C.thumb.jpeg.a91d5d82c573122975daf2bf49ba75ef.jpeg

I ride to the Horizon's Unlimited get-together every year in Mariposa.   It's an OK place in terms of lodging and dining.  However, I wouldn't necessarily pick it over Oakhurst for our BMW-ST gathering.  

Oakhurst has always worked out really well and I think it offers more,  better, and closer riding routes than Mariposa.   Of course whichever place is picked I'll come - it's a my favorite annual get-together.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, mrduck said:

Speaking for myself, Oakhurst has done us very well……yeah, we miss the Dirty Donkey but the location seems to work, with some great riding in every direction. 

Two years ago, I get a call on a Wednesday from one of the usual suspects that we’re going anyhow, and boy were the locals glad to see us!

Joe you started this thing in your backyard and it’s grown into a class act, always a great time for all, thanks for not giving it up ……

(and I believe you are the one that referred to us first as The “Usual Suspects”)

Thanks again

Don J

C10D10EA-BB14-4617-B28F-5EEC497E6E6C.thumb.jpeg.a91d5d82c573122975daf2bf49ba75ef.jpeg

This is high on my list of 2023 priorities!  My first here, but I'm also looking forward to a return to Ramona Days.

CoarsegoldKid

Not set yet.  Currently the comfort inn and others are  showing 229 bucks for that weekend.  That crazy to me.  I'm trying to get a better rate at any motel.  Or earlier date.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, CoarsegoldKid said:

Not set yet.  Currently the comfort inn and others are  showing 229 bucks for that weekend.  That crazy to me.  I'm trying to get a better rate at any motel.  Or earlier date.

Is that for one night or two?

20 hours ago, mrduck said:

Thanks again

Don J

Back Side Front Side. I'm going to assume the new bridge is complete.  April 2020 ride was certainly a memorable one!

image.thumb.png.dfcd81795665b14bf9861ed6f5befa4a.png

20 hours ago, longjohn said:

I’m guessing I’m not the only one who will be getting an 8.7% raise

dang, John, I was really getting to like you............then THIS!!!

yeah, you're guessing WRONG, Pal!

:27:

1 hour ago, Rob Nowell said:

dang, John, I was really getting to like you............then THIS!!!

yeah, you're guessing WRONG, Pal!

:27:

Huh. I was thinking retirees get cost of living adjustments. 

2 hours ago, longjohn said:

Huh. I was thinking retirees get cost of living adjustments. 

I hope; I wish; I doubt.  September '23 will be our, I have been told.  Coffee on you, Moneybags!  :4323:

On 12/11/2022 at 5:20 PM, CoarsegoldKid said:

...Show of hands is necessary folks.

While I'll go along with the majority here, I'd be happy to keep it in Oakhurst. It's got everything, including more choices...

An earlier/later date with lower room rates would be good...

Either location is good with my as long as we can ride.

Carl should have a GS by then, because of the water crossings and rough roads he likes to ride on:)

Lets RIDE.

• Haha 1
  • 1 month later...

If this is what you were discussing as the Comfort Inn....It is no longer the Comfort Inn nor part of Choice Hotels Group. I also checked the prices. They were as stated. Best Western Plus around the corner is the same rte.

The Oakhurst Inn at Yosemite

40489 Highway 41

Oakhurst