IGNORED

Stickers on 05 RT Headlamp Housing (Americade Procedures)

RoyTemple

I'm headed for Americade next Monday and this will be my first trip on the 05 RT. I've been going since 1990 on my previous RTs. At Americade, (and maybe other events) they give you a sticker to put on your headlight so they will know as you enter the main gate that you have paid admission.

Anyone know if I should have any concerns about putting the sticker on the "headlight" of the 05 RT which is actually some kind of plastic. I will be riding with the sticker on for 6 days. Then I want to remove it leaving no evidence that it was ever there. This was never a problem with my previous RTs as the headlight houseing was glass. I also always purcase a parking sticker (PP) which allows you to park in any legal space in downtown Lage George for the week, which I have also put on the headlight in years past.

Thanks for any insight. smile.gif

I woud apply a heavy coat of wax before installing the stickers, should make it easier to remove them later.

Mike

The User Manual specifically states that beam excluders/benders (which are used to dip UK headlight when travelling abroad) are not to be used as the adhesive can damage the plastic headlight. Could you ask them to place it behind the screen? I guess they only put it on the headlight because it is usually glass and is less likely to mark than plastic fairing. grin.gif

How about the windscreen, out of the way? I put that same parking sticker on my Rockster headlight 2 years ago and it took a lot of elbow grease to get the glue off after a week.

BoxerChief

I am going to the Honda Hoot in a couple weeks and have the same reservations. The solution I have thought of is to use either some clear packing tape or clear contact paper. Before you apply the tape or contact paper to the screen or headlight, fold the edge over on itself to use as a tab when you are ready to remove the sticker. After this is applied, you can feel easier about putting the sticker on top of it. This way, the sticker will come right off with little to no residue. I have used clear contact paper before as a temp protective film where a strap would contact the bike and it worked great and came right off. Whatcha' think?

Just a suggestion, but put the sticker on the fork arm by the front wheel. I seem to remember that is where I put it a few years ago when I went to Americade on my VStar (I wasn't horribly fussy and just folded a corner of the sticker so it was easier to get off).

If you are fussy you can then use packing tape and put it around the fork arm, sticky side out so the tape is only sticking to itself. You then put another band of packing tape around "sticky side in" to cover the stick stuff on the first piece of tape. This creates a mini sleeve. You can then put the sticker on the tape sleeve. If you are really fussy you can put something between the tape sleeve and the fork before putting the tape on so it is easier to cut the tape sleeve off without scratching the fork. thumbsup.gif

If they now insist that the sticker be on the windshield or headlight, my suggestion isn't much help... confused.gif

You can use some low tack material like shelf paper on the bike and then stick the sticker on that or before applying the sticker de tack it a bit on your clothes picking up lint this is easy and quick and you can adjust the amount by how much you pat it on your clothes!

Archived