Mine's Broken...R1200RT

RoadJunkie

RoadJunkie

Ok, I'm sad and need group therapy. 9K miles, brake failure waring light brightly indicates significant problem. ESA does not respond to handlebar switch and speedo quits working. Dealer re flashes "brain" and it's fixed!!...wait a minute, it's not fixed and symptoms return. Now waiting for consult from Mayo Clinic of motorcyles. I'm scared... confused.gif

I was getting off the interstate and applied my front brake softly and the front end locked up. The front end dived and my feet came off the foot pegs and also my butt off the seat. It only lasted for a second and then the brake released. I had a red warning light on along with the break failure light was on. I rode to the dealer and they hooked it the the computer and it said that there was a high pressure surge in the front brake line. I asked if they fixed the problem and they said there was nothing to do. I had 12000 miles on at the time of the incident. I now have 16000 miles on and it has not happened again.

RoadJunkie

Bike has been in the shop a week now. bncry.gif BMW just gave the go-ahead to replace the ABS system Modulator, apparently a $1,700 part. Will keep you posted.

Sad to hear about this , I hope you get your bike fixed soon ..............I trust they have given you something to ride in the meantime ??

Steve

RoadJunkie

The bike probably won't be fixed until next week, but dealer has been great and I've got a new (500 miles) 12RT as a loaner. Headed up to Colorado this weekend to get my riding fix!! clap.gif

Paul Mihalka
The bike probably won't be fixed until next week, but dealer has been great and I've got a new (500 miles) 12RT as a loaner. Headed up to Colorado this weekend to get my riding fix!! clap.gif

I work at a BMW dealer so this is a comment "from behind the counter". Providing a loaner bike when a bike is in service is a courtesy from the dealer, not a obligation. Unless the loaner is being paid for like a rental, going traveling and putting a lot of miles on a almost new bike is not fair to the dealer as it reduces significantly the resale value of the bike.

The loaner with 500 miles: Did it have a 600 mile service or will it come back to the dealer with 1,500 miles on it but no service? Just some thoughts.....

RoadJunkie

I couldn't agree with you more and I was sensitive to this when I picked up the bike. I fully disclosed my intention of riding the bike to Colorado prior to striking up the deal and picking up the loaner. I even estimated the milage I would be traveling. Before I left with the bike at the dealer's, I again confirmed the trip and milage would not be a problem. I don't see how I could have done anything more, and I do appreciate their willingness to provide the loaner. thumbsup.gif

Archived