IGNORED

Dairyland Insurance Anyone?

John Ranalletta

John Ranalletta

I recall many here had DL insurance.   

Do more accidents happen per 100 GS riders than per 100 road only riders?

22 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

I recall many here had DL insurance.   

Do more accidents happen per 100 GS riders than per 100 road only riders?

Afternoon John

In my riding area riding group many times as many GS / GS-A accidents as R or RT riders. 

But that sort of depends on how you define an accident. The RT accidents are usually serious, very costly in both equipment & human damage  but very/very few. The GS / GS-A are many, not very severe & usually repaired by the GS owners at their own cost. But if they were claimed against the insurance would be costly to the insurance. Most of the GS / GS-A  are off-road related but just because off-road doesn't mean slow or mild. You can do a lot of motorcycle damage to a GS or GS-A at 60-70 mph in a simple off-road incident or mishap.  

• Thanks 1

Well, my theory is that the folks that do the risk/rate tables on insurance are not always knowledgeable about the products they cover. For instance, my RT is a LOT less expensive to insure than my  2012 DL 650 ( cost about 1/3 as much). The 650 replaced a 2003 DL 1000. Insurance was over twice as much!!!  I asked more than one company why and the answer I would get is that the DL 650 is a "sport bike". Clearly whomever is setting the rate/risk charts sells that to more than one company. You can explain all you want, the agent may even agree, but you won't get anywhere. 

In this world there is no loyalty, so shop around. 

That sounds strange, I'd try calling a local agent direct.  I had DL for years but in a review I found Progressive to be less costly, but that changed when I got my 2022R1250RT.  The rate was nuts more then doubled my 14R1200RT.  I went on-line and got DL again, the rates is lower then I was paying Progressive for  the 14RT and 05DL650.  This was June of this year I insured my 22R1250RT and my 05DL650 (Suzuki V-Strom 650) not a GS but a dual purpose bike like a GS.  I have collision on both bikes.  I did it all on-line, DL assigned a local agent, they sent welcoming letters and offered to help if I had questions. 

As Terry said.. no loyalty from carriers… as such I return the favor. I shop mine every year. I make sure the coverage, deductibles, etc are the same then go with low cost provider   State Farm was highest, Progressive close to State Farm, Dairyland less, and surprise Allstate. Shop around each year. I had Progressive at one time but they jacked up the rates over a few years and were no longer competitive for me.