IGNORED

Convenient 12 volt power source in the area of the handle bar on a 2022 R1250RT?

konacyclist

Is there an easily accessible switched 12 volt source near the handlebar? My 2012 R1200GS had a plug you could connect to, to get power for say a GPS. Is there a similar power location on the 2022 R1250RT?

Isn't there a power outlet to the right of the small storage compartment?   I know the '19 & '20 models have them, but I am not sure if the went away. 

Is there any charging possibility in the right storage box.  I thought they put something in there for smartphones while using the connected app.  :dontknow:

Thanks for the replies. I am taking a trip next month and I am planning to take my trusty ZUMO XT as backup for the built-in navigation with the TFT. It will be a 2,000 mile trip and I don't want to find out the OEM nav can't cut it without an alternative GPS. Unless I hear of something better, I might just plug in to the DIN socket located at the right side of the fairing. If the OEM nav proves itself trustworthy, I will pull the ZUMO XT off the bike. I could just tap into the power going to the back of the DIN socket.

20 hours ago, konacyclist said:

Thanks for the replies. I am taking a trip next month and I am planning to take my trusty ZUMO XT as backup for the built-in navigation with the TFT. It will be a 2,000 mile trip and I don't want to find out the OEM nav can't cut it without an alternative GPS. Unless I hear of something better, I might just plug in to the DIN socket located at the right side of the fairing. If the OEM nav proves itself trustworthy, I will pull the ZUMO XT off the bike. I could just tap into the power going to the back of the DIN socket.

Just finished my annual Sturgis run and it was just under 8000 miles this year.  The NAV/TFT combo worked well with no drop outs and only the occasional “slow start” after a refueling stop.

AD

• Like 1

Based on your recent and extensive (8,000 miles!) experience, I should just relax and trust the BMW NAV. Thanks for the feedback. 

• 9 months later...

I used a "Splitter" type of device from Wunderlich that plugs into the wiring harness of the accessory outlet then connected my GPS to that. simple and protected. 

There's an OEM splitter too, from the K1600, that splits the BMW plug into 2. I wanted to leave the BMW plug operational, just in case I needed it for something, so what I did is buy the OEM splitter, cut the 2nd connector, and wired a dual USB adapter, sending one to the tailbag (where I always have the phone), and send another one to the handlebar, in case I ever need to put my phone on the handlebars of my R1250R. I could dig up the part number is you want, but seems like the Wunderlich part should be cheaper, and serve the same purpose. But let me know.

Oh, and if you want to add other accessories, there's a very nice adapter from the folks who make the GS-911, called the HEX EZ-CAN, where you can add a lot of stuff, while programming many features, like if you want it switched or constant, add air horns (no need for a relay), add lights, and they can be set at any intensity you want, turn off with high beams, turn on automatically at dusk, etc. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

I simply routed the zumo wiring to the right side and tapped into the aux plug using posi-tap connectors.  I have the zumo xt, radar detector and quad lock wireless charger attached to that and no issues.

On 8/15/2022 at 3:53 PM, Hati said:

Yes, there is, on the right as suggested above. The limitation is 10 Amp (IIRC) combined with the rear plug.

Close enough for Rock 'n Roll...

Being OCD -- the Rider's Manual (2022) states: "...Electrical rating of onboard sockets, max 12 A, all onboard power sockets in total."