IGNORED

ABS Reset Problem

cycdude6

My ABS light keeps blinking and won't reset. This happened after I removed and replaced the battery for servicing. Fuses are good, battery is fully charged. Checked the connections i could reach.

Then I reset the ABS, it worked for a minute, the abs unit made a noise and the fault returned.

Any ideas? confused.gif

Joe Frickin' Friday

I assume this is the '98 RT listed in your profile. If so, click here, and go to page 71 and 72 to find out how to read the fault codes from the diagnostic connector under the seat (just behind the fuse box). Let us know what you find out. thumbsup.gif

I'm not sure if I understand your problem correctly but my ABS quit working and the lights were flashing indicating a problem with the ABS. We did this procedure (reset the ABS) on my 2001 GS and it worked fine. Round test socket located on top of battery.

- ground pin 2

- switch ignition on

- push ABS button for at least 8 seconds

- release ABS button

- switch ignition off and remove ground from pin 2

Hope this helps

RaginCajun

I had a similar problem after having just purchased a new to me 99 R1100RT. I brought it in and $xx later, they told me that I probably have a bad hydro unit...as realized by the diagnostic code. However, they were able to reset it, and now my ABS is back. They guy said he could reset it each time, or that bleeding the brakes might work.

Hey, I'm curious. Someone mentioned reading the codes using the diagnostic plug...is there an easy way to read the codes without the handheld computer?

Joe Frickin' Friday
Hey, I'm curious. Someone mentioned reading the codes using the diagnostic plug...is there an easy way to read the codes without the handheld computer?

Um...yes. crazy.gifdopeslap.gif

The bike is a 1998 BMW R1100RT, ABS II. The abs does reset but immediately goes back off. My next step, I guess, is to check the abs sensors for proper gap (though I can't imagine why the gap would change!). After that I'm gonna tear the plastic off and start looking for disconnected or damaged wires. Also, I am going to try reading the fault codes as recommended by Joe and I'll pass on what I find.

Joe Frickin' Friday
The bike is a 1998 BMW R1100RT, ABS II. The abs does reset but immediately goes back off. My next step, I guess, is to check the abs sensors for proper gap (though I can't imagine why the gap would change!). After that I'm gonna tear the plastic off and start looking for disconnected or damaged wires. Also, I am going to try reading the fault codes as recommended by Joe and I'll pass on what I find.

My advice is to try reading the fault code first, before you start inspecting parts; the whole purpose of the fault codes is to save you from having to inspect every part of the system before finding the problem. crazy.gif

I had a idea but preventing these kinds of issues or others when changing a battery and thought to bounce it out you guys. Whenever I change or clean batteries in my cars, I insert a 9 volt battery/adapter/plug into my cigarette lighter to prevent having to reset the clock and radio stations. Wouldn't something like this help keep the electronics in the motorcycle/on the dash as they were prior to changing the battery?

Probably won't hurt anything but it's a waste of time unless you are trying to retain the radio preset memory and the clock setting. :/ The ABS control unit does not care if the battery is removed or not.

Mick

• 4 weeks later...

I promised to get back with some results, so:

Was unable to determine cause of fault using an analog meter, did not try the LED testing.

Took bike to shop, where they determined fault #3, front wheel sensor. Ordered part.

Archived