IGNORED

C5 helmet with Sena compared to Sena Impulse

Skywagon

Im sure many of you know Richard and Kathy from RKA.  He makes some awesome luggage, tank bags, and other stuff.  He publishes a letter occasionally.  He did some real time user comparison of these two helmets I found useful  I got his permission to publish his findings here.  Hope you find it interesting and useful.

Mods....if it looks like I am promoting something, I am not.  I have no relationship with RKA at all.  If wrong please delete.

Comparing the Schuberth C5
&
SENA Impulse

Richard’s Take On This Comparison

Bottom line here is what you like, I mean, what grabs you, what you can afford and of course the features and even though there is a giant price difference it is still hard to decide on these two products because the features are so even.
I have been a Suzuki guy since my second motorcycle back in the early 70’s, a 250 Suzuki Savage dirt bike.

BUT since 2005 I have not purchased anything other than a BMW, except a really cool 2022 Royal Enfield INT650 earlier this year.

My current ride is a 2021 R1250RS and recently I actually started considering a new Suzuki S1000GT! And ya know what? That baby is over $5,000.00 less than my 1250RS was!!
PLUS that Suzuki kinda looks familiar huh?

So... have I done a comparison sheet on these two motorcycles like I have done here on these two great helmets? … Daaaa … NO. Because I am a consumer like you all are and I would have just walked in and said “I want that bike” sign me up.

BUT not everyone is like me, so this is all about what these two helmets do and cannot do for your review.

No two compare sheets on websites are alike, they all try to lean it in their favor so I dug as deep as I could to get all the correct information for you guys and gals and made my own.

I have put many many miles on both of these helmets as I purchased each one because I needed a demo and I needed to test them myself.

Which brings up a sticky subject …..
PLEASE take things you hear on the internet (Forums) with a grain of salt.

I had a customer recently say he heard on the internet the SENA Impulse sound goes away over 30 mph!

THAT is total Bull Pucky! How do I know? Because I have been to Springfield MO and back using the SENA Impulse! That trip was over 5000 miles mostly on Interstates at god awful speeds I mean 80 to 90 at times but never under 70, and the helmet and sound system worked flawlessly.

I have been doing SENA support for RKA customers for almost 15 years now and more than likely this person had the volume down on his device and the helmet is limited to how you have the volume set on your device Daaaaaaaaa.

Also I will be reporting on how fairings, windscreen, naked bikes affect this sound thing in my next report.

I like both of these helmets a lot, and on my 5000 mile cross country trip in June I ASSUMED the SENA Impulse would work flawlessly ….. And it did.
Lets start with weight.

Can it get this close? They weigh the same with the communications embedded in the SENA and added to the C5.

“FOUR POINT TWO POUNDS!”

On the comparison chart below there are just to many YES and YES’s, so construction and features are hard to decipher who's best.

BUT price is not.

The Impulse comes in at almost half the price of the Schuberth!

Made in Germany,
Made in China.

What a ya gonna do?

If you do not like products from China it’s a no brainer cough up the extra bucks and stop reading now.

We are not a big fan of China either and I am sure SENA out of South Korea is not either. BUT how many things can you touch right now that do not have something from China IN THEM.

SO ... Onward we go ......

The C5 comes in XS to XXXL

The Impulse only comes in S to XXL

The C5 comes in a lot of solid colors and graphics, (Below) this option is going to raise the price point a lot.

The Impulse comes in Matte Black or Glossy White kinda like a model T did. Which made the model T affordable for all … Did that make it CHEAP, I don’t think so.

The Impulse has a LED taillight, (It’s just a light that blinks or stays solid, it does not connect to your brake light. The C5 does not have a taillight.)

C5 has a Visor memory function, pretty cool as it keeps your screen in the position you have it at. Impulse does not.

C5 has a lock for the flip up. The Impulse does not

BUT I can attest that the Impulse flip up stays flipped up at speed pretty darn well without a lock.

Although personally I do not like to ride at speed with my helmet flipped up.

See C5 Text document “Safety first” inside this article referring to the following:

“Flip-up or modular helmets can simply be approved in the full-face versions (with the letter “P ”, or protective) or with double homologation (indicated by the letters “P/J” or Protective/Jet).
If a helmet is approved as full-face helmet (letter “P”) it is not possible to use it while keeping the chin guard open, while if there are both letters then you are allowed to ride with the chin guard in the open position, or even without it if it is modular.”

The Impulse has a LOCK down on the screen that the C5 does not have and it is really cool, you have to really pull down the screen hard until you hear the CLICK.

The Impulse has an Intermediate OVAL fit,

The C5 is not, BUT the C5 has “Schuberth Individual Concept” see information in detail text chart below.

They both have a “Ratch” latch which is a great feature, no “D” rings

Impulse shell, Composite Fiberglass / Multi Density EPS

C5 shell DFP Fiberglass shell reinforced with carbon fiber for improved shock absorption.

SOOOOO …. What the hell does all this mean?? Multi Density / EPS, Composite Fiberglass / DFP Fiberglass? Is one better than the other? Is one more expensive? Do you really care?

I started to go into this but I had to put on the rubber boots very soon .... it would just bore the hell out of you, so this is the short answer and you can do your own additional research.

DFP ….. Direct Fiber Process
EPS ….. Expanded Polystyrene.

Again....

C5 Made in Germany,

SENA will not reveal the company in China that is manufacturing their helmet, BUT I can say the quality of the Impulse and the C5 are both way above standard.

Both the C5 and the Impulse have included a Pinlock fog screen.

The C5 makes claims about how quite it is below in the C5 Text chart from their website

The Impulse makes no claims on how quite it is.

Richard’s personal opinion on a faired bike, a naked bike, and a retro bike with nothing but an after market café fairing is …..

"I cannot really tell that much difference that would make me not purchase one or the other".

Below is the compare chart I personally assembled.

Compare Chart

C5 Text from their brochure 

Schuberth’s color choices;

SENA Impulse colors;
Matte Black or Glossy White

Below is direct information from one of the big wigs at SENA.
Harmon Kardon questions & answers

So what’s the verdict?

Will the one I choose make the decision for you?
Or will you make your own decision?

If you like, and can afford the Cadillac, get the Cadillac.
If you are on a budget get the Chevy.

These are both great products and do the job.

The last two cars Kathy and I have purchased were a Honda FIT and now a KIA. BUT We ride BMW’s and pay extra for that BMW logo.

It’s the same with our helmets we have used Schuberth for over 15 years now and that’s what I am using NOW a beautiful C5 in Concrete Gray. HD sound BUT no Harmon Kardon or WiFi Firmware updates automatically.

Before the C5's were available I purchased our SENA Impulse, as we need to test it, and after over 6000 miles total on this helmet, across the country to Springfield MO and back, we score it a 9.5 right below the C5’s 10

Not considering price point, this rating was based mostly on fit and comfort as the features of both these babies are so so close together.

Make your choice and give us a call and order your new lid.

707 836 7659

Questions? Call or email us at

C5 Solid colors        $749.00
C5 Graphic              $849.00
SC2 SENA Com      $349.00
SENA Impulse         $699.99 BUT CALL FOR SPECIAL RKA LIMITED PRICING
Shipping FREE

RKA has a KILLER discount on the Impulse that we cannot say out loud so call and ask pricing if you are at all interested in this great product.

RKA has every size and color SENA Impulse in stock and can ship right away.

On the other hand some C5's are in the warehouse but most of the C5’s are still in containers on cargo ships.

But call, ORDER your C5 and you will get your helmet from one of the first containers unloaded!!

NO payment necessary just a commitment as a deposit,

AND … The deals just keep on coming ……..

RKA has a few C3P and C4P in stock, and ON SALE at give away prices.
Call or email for what we have in stock.

RKA can get any C3Pros,C4Pros, E1’s and SC1A com systems that are in the warehouse.

Call and tell us what you want and we’ll tell you what is available AND at a KILLER PRICE!

We also have a couple of SENA Momentum’s that belong to Kathy & me for sale.

SENA Large Matte Black Momentum 20 series communication          $250.00
SENA Large Matte Black Momentum Pro with camera 20 series com $300.00

Richard will try to answer any additional questions you all may have so email or call.

Lastly, we hope you enjoy the reports we do and they are beneficial to you.

Richard
RKA

• Like 1

I need a review with the sound loudness of the speakers of the SC2.  Right now, I have the 20S (it sucks) on my Neotec II.  I'm not impressed with the music (mainly listen to) volume.  When I get a phone call, it will blast me as too loud, but music volume is much lower.  I've seen that this is an issue with the 20S.  Three different phones I've had, all the same issue.

I'm fearful of going to an integrated set up as there is no way to plug external ear buds if the internal speakers aren't loud enough.  If the speakers/system is loud enough to get through acoustic earplugs, I'd be all for it, but I've not been able to find a review of the SC2 that specifies this.

19 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

I need a review with the sound loudness of the speakers of the SC2.  Right now, I have the 20S (it sucks) on my Neotec II.  I'm not impressed with the music (mainly listen to) volume.  When I get a phone call, it will blast me as too loud, but music volume is much lower.  I've seen that this is an issue with the 20S.  Three different phones I've had, all the same issue.

I'm fearful of going to an integrated set up as there is no way to plug external ear buds if the internal speakers aren't loud enough.  If the speakers/system is loud enough to get through acoustic earplugs, I'd be all for it, but I've not been able to find a review of the SC2 that specifies this.

Rougarou, I have a Sena 20S EVO, on a Arai - Signet GT, I use custom earbuds but at times use helmet speakers, the 20S EVO is penalty loud either way (there are setting to boost sound) I went from a 14R1200RT with a Werks windscreen to a 22R1250RT stock windscreen I couldn't hear very well.  Then I changed out the windscreen to a Werks, solved the problem.  I now have the new Schuberth C5 with the SC2 it is a quieter helmet then the Arai, the sound is very good (I wear ear plugs).  I haven't been ridding for weeks now, total hip replacement limited me before surgery and now off the bike.  I should be back ridding in about 2 weeks and will be happy to give you more info then.  The C5 is my first flip up helmet, I have a long oval shaped head, no othesr fit me.  The C5 fits great and is a very high quality made helmet. 

9 minutes ago, strataj said:

Rougarou, I have a Sena 20S EVO, on a Arai - Signet GT, I use custom earbuds but at times use helmet speakers, the 20S EVO is penalty loud either way (there are setting to boost sound) I went from a 14R1200RT with a Werks windscreen to a 22R1250RT stock windscreen I couldn't hear very well.  Then I changed out the windscreen to a Werks, solved the problem.  I now have the new Schuberth C5 with the SC2 it is a quieter helmet then the Arai, the sound is very good (I wear ear plugs).  I haven't been ridding for weeks now, total hip replacement limited me before surgery and now off the bike.  I should be back ridding in about 2 weeks and will be happy to give you more info then.  The C5 is my first flip up helmet, I have a long oval shaped head, no othesr fit me.  The C5 fits great and is a very high quality made helmet. 

The 20S is on boost for audio, I tried all the tricks.  I even bought the Harmon Kardon speakers.  For music, it does not have the volume I need, even with the ear buds which is what I use the majority of the time.  When the phone rings, I click over and the volume blasts overly loud.

This is a known issue with the 20S series

Roug…I have the same helmet and SENA as you. Same experience and I’ve played with all the adjustments too. It replaced a worn out SMH 10 which had more volume. My riding buddies say the same. The 20s EVO just doesn’t have the same punch as the 10. 

11 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

Roug…I have the same helmet and SENA as you. Same experience and I’ve played with all the adjustments too. It replaced a worn out SMH 10 which had more volume. My riding buddies say the same. The 20s EVO just doesn’t have the same punch as the 10. 

I've been tempted to throw the 10 back on, but I kinda like the FM every now and then.

Ive been looking for reviews of the SC2 since it was released overseas as I'd really like the integrated C5 in eclipse yellow, but haven't pulled the trigger 'cause "I can't hear nuthin" yet (with reference to reviews)

I bought a Sena Helmet with integrated sound a few months ago.   In terms of fit, I would say it's better than a Schubert C3 have.   I normally wear a Large, but decided to go with an Extra Large which has turned out to be the right decision.   My hearing is crappy to say the least.   I was shopping for some "in the ear" hearing aids at the time I bought the Sena Helmet.   I've decided I no longer need them - the sound quality of the Sena system negated the need (note: I only use the sound for GPS directions - not music, so my satisfaction might not apply to music).     

Strata J....would you mind sharing your SENA settings from the app.  I have an Iphone, but many times I don't connect it.  I ride with it off to save battery.  I still get all the quirks of terrible sound quality especially on the BMW radio, low volume for music, screaming volume on the GPS even though I've turned the GPS volume in the Nav V way down.  Here are my settings.

Thanks Traveler for sharing your experience.  It helps.

image1.jpeg

image0.jpeg

Thanks...I changed mine to match yours except one won't change.  I can't turn off the audio equalizer.  I'll test this next time I ride.  Supposed to dip below a 100 next week so may break the bike out.  First time since early June.  Hurry up winter.

Just figured out how to turn equalizer off so set exactly like yours.

Rougarou - 

I purchased a C5 with the SC2 as soon as it came out in the US. I found the C5's new shape actually fit my head better even though it seemed like it would not. With the C3 and earlier models I owned, I always had to deal with a 'hot spot' for the first couple thousand miles but with this helmet, no issues at all from day 1. So in terms of fit, I love it. 

Features are listed everywhere and they work very well - its a Schuberth. Some of the new features are nice and some I don't care about, but that's me. 

As for the SC2 - it is a very clean install and works right out of the box. Took me a bit to get used to 2 devices I am supposed to turn off, but I've learned I can leave the remote turned on and it will auto turn off so I only worry about turning off the main unit. And of course you need to get used to the new location of buttons but that isn't too hard.  As for sound, the quality is really good and I have no issues hearing the GPS, my music, or my wife  (my pillion). Each 'source' has its own volume setting so make sure you play with that. (Sometimes its hard - you have to wait for the device to be active before you can adjust the volume so if the GPS is not talking to you, you can't make it louder). And everyone I talk to says the microphone sounds great - they can't tell I'm on a bike (at 70+ mph)

Your mileage may vary, etc. etc. etc. 

Jim

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

strataj...I've been riding without the SENA for a while.  I put it on today using your settings.  It actually made it louder.  It still isn't as loud as the 10 was but much louder than before.  I think what made the difference was turning off the equalizer and bass boost.  Thanks for the help.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

I lost the microphone foam sock for my Sena which resulted in the wind noise drowning my voice.  I replaced the foam sock and added a directional boot that others have used and velcro’d these to the helmet in front of my mouth.  These parts were ordered from Sierra Electronics: www.sierra-mc.com

See the attached photos.  Now I need it to stop raining to test it.

20230128_142715.thumb.jpg.28065c7a279bbf4a1aebbaadca72df4f.jpg

20230128_142246.jpg

20230128_142348.jpg

20230128_142538.jpg

20230128_143320.jpg

20230128_143337.jpg

If those socks don’t work for you ( I bet they will), then Google windsock for Bose A-10 aviation headsets. They work great. Last time I bought them I got them from aircraft spruce. 

27 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

If those socks don’t work for you ( I bet they will), then Google windsock for Bose A-10 aviation headsets. They work great. Last time I bought them I got them from aircraft spruce. 

Ha!  My son's a pilot and has a Bose headset so I'll rob his when he's not looking.  Thanks for the great idea.