IGNORED

Windshield options

joeb

Morning all.

Coming from the RT I was a little concerned about the lack of wind protection on my GS.

However, since I've been riding in 90+  degree Temps this summer I love the wind on my body. Any suggestions for a larger windshield for the cooler fall and winter rides. 

Puig. ?

Thanks

I bought the Wunderlich windscreen and bracket reinforcements: https://www.wunderlichamerica.com/BMW_R1200_R1250_GS_GSA_ERGO_Screen_Marathon_II

For me (6’1”), it seems about perfect—I’ve eliminated helmet buffeting at a height that allows me to look over the screen, yet it still allows enough overall wind flow to keep me cool. And, it suits my aesthetic sensibilities, not looking oversized (not a concern for everyone, I know).

The downside is cost: with the reinforcements it totals around $450. Also, if you do need to adjust the height, it requires quite a bit more fiddling around—you have to adjust the two clamps on the reinforcement mechanisms before moving the windscreen up or down.

My GS came with a VStream and I still had the Puig from my previous GS.  Dont really care for the VStream, looks like a barn door and not crazy how it moves the airflow.  The Puig is much better in all respects.

YMMV since the windshields all hit us at different levels based on height and we all have different comfort levels.  I hate barn door windshields and like the windshield well below my field of view.  At 5'07" that usually limits my options.  Windshields with a slight flip up at the top have worked well for me.

The AeroFlow Touring windshield in the shorter of the three heights worked well for me.  Much cleaner air in the cockpit than stock or the taller GSA windshield, without having a barn door windshield.  In the low position I still get a lot of clean air.  In the up position it's given me decent protection from heavy rain.  I haven't had it long enough to get to try it in the cold.  The height I bought is shorter than the GSA windshield, but because of the slight flip or shape it gives me better protection than the GSA windshield.

The attached pic is my windshield in the low position.

IMG_1307.jpg

• Plus 1 1
  • Thanks 1

To add to my previous post, the windshield on the GS tends to affect the head and upper torso.  But what also helped the lower half of my torso was adding the GSA style winglets.  You can see it in my previous pic mounted between the turn signal and handlebar.

To add the stock BMW ones, you have to drill a hole in the fairing.  I wasn't fond of that.  So, I spent waaaaaay more money on the Wunderlich version that mounts without drilling.  For me it was worth it because it has worked really well.  But at that price it's not for everybody.

Link to Wunderlich version here Wunderlich Side Wind Deflector.  If you go to the link, you can see pics of the deflectors from different angles if you click on the clear or tint color selection.

AeroFlow make a smaller version and there's a few Chinese knockoffs for cheap.

• Plus 1 1
  • 2 weeks later...