IGNORED

3rd Corner/Pacific Lighthouse Tour

RandyShields

Just now, mickeym3 said:

Take the time to go south if you haven’t done 550 before (Million Dollar Highway), you won’t regret it. 

Now THAT is a must do for any motorcylist but not for the faint of heart !! 

Just now, RTinNC said:

Now THAT is a must do for any motorcylist but not for the faint of heart !! 

Just guessing you know of a cabin in Taos that would be worth checking out as well, know I’m lobbying my wife on that one. 

LOL ... yes I do .... just sent it to my wife :18:

We're headed that way next year with another couple and "that cabin" sounds perfect. 

RandyShields
24 minutes ago, mickeym3 said:

Take the time to go south if you haven’t done 550 before (Million Dollar Highway), you won’t regret it

Thanks, did a good portion of that a few years ago on the way out to Torrey with Whip, Rob and Burt.  Great roads in that area.

RandyShields

Day 13: Vail to McCook, NE (362 mi.)

Day 12 was a well-needed rest day outside of Vail, where I relaxed and pet sat for my nephew’s pups.  I had a leisurely breakfast, lightened my load by 15 pounds when I dropped off a box of cold-weather and unneeded items at the post office, strolled through town and took a nap.  That evening, we dined at Mountain Standard, one of the best restaurants in Vail, where my nephew is close friends with the executive chef.  We were treated like family while we sampled several new menu items during the first downpour in Vail in months.  If it had been snow, we’d have been looking at several feet of fresh powder in the morning.

I forgot to mention that on the ride through northern CO the day before, I was surprised when I crossed a small stream and saw the sign identifying it as the Colorado River.  The small headwater was quite a contrast to the downstream power that helped to carve the Grand Canyon.

I was on the road on day 13 by 7 am and noticed the smell of gas as I got underway.  I first noticed it on the ride in, but refused to acknowledge an issue.  I thought maybe the gas cap wasn’t sealed or I just overfilled it, but after continuing to notice the smell on the dramatic, but wet, ride over Vail pass into Denver, I rerouted to Foothills BMW.  Even though I had called to cancel my tire appointment after having to get new rubber in MT, I was luckily still on their appointment list.  Tyler, the service manager arrived just as I pulled in and, when I described the issue, he agreed that he smelled gas also.  The service advisor, John, said it would likely be one of three things: 1) a broken line, 2) a bad connector to the fuel pump, or 3) a bad fuel pump.  Master technician James expertly identified the problem as a bad connector, where the delicate O-ring had been damaged when the tank was removed and replaced for the earlier general module repair prior to my trip.  I was relieved that they had the part, and I was on my way before noon.  The visit also gave me the opportunity to thank Zac personally, the parts manager, for the earlier tire deal that I had to cancel.  I was extremely impressed with the extent of the merchandise at this dealership, as well as the friendly and professional demeanor of everyone I spoke with there.

The next hour was the first heavy rain to ride through on the trip.  As flat and boring as eastern CO is, it was lovely when I was able to stop for gas and peel off all the rain gear.  After getting off I 76, it was onto US 34 for the ride through the corn fields and cattle yards of Colorado and Nebraska to McCook, NE.  I passed through Akron, Colorado, the namesake of the Ohio city where I grew up, and later saw a working crop duster, a cool sight you don’t see every day.

The temps on the ride over the Rockies had dropped to a chilly 47°, but that did not give way to the expected 90s; with moderate cloud cover all day, it stayed a very comfortable 75°, and for the first time, my under layers were not drenched when I arrived by 5 pm after passing into central time.

Foothills BMW.jpg

Akron, CO.jpg

• Like 6

Another positive BMW Dealer experience :-)    You need to send in a letter to the MOA Owners News calling out the positive experiences at the 2 dealers as that is a valuable asset to them for sure. 

On our 2014 trip through Colorado the coldest day (32 degrees) and hottest day (103 degrees) were both in Colorado.  Quite a diverse state for sure.   Enjoy and stay safe! 

• Plus 1 1
RandyShields

Day 14: McCook to Des Moines, IA (422 mi)

This turned out to be a much greater day for points of interest than I anticipated.

On the way out of town, I stopped at Sehnert’s Bakery, for a month’s worth of sugar.  While the current bakery includes a “since 1957” date, it actually dates to the late 1800’s when Richard Sehnert brought the first bakery to the U.S. from Germany. Over 10 generations of Sehnert families ran the bakery until a few years ago.  Its new owner, Andrew, the first non-family owner, was quite stoked when I told him I was visiting from Charlotte on the recommendation of Ed Appelian, who had discovered the bakery on an earlier cross-country ride. 

Crossing the rolling plains of Nebraska, there were miles of corn fields.  Seemingly every couple of miles, there were giant corn storage facilities, some larger than the ones in the photo below.  I also came across several historical markers indicating that there were POW camps in the area where German soldiers were housed during WWII. They were used as farm labor with a lot of the young men volunteering for active duty.  I found the reference to escapees returning voluntarily.  This wasn’t like Europe, where they might sneak back easily to Germany.  Indeed, they would likely stand out when dealing with the local farm families.  I was also able to put to rest the long-running musical debate about whether Funky town was an actual or fictional place.  The photo below shows that it does truly exist.

On the way to Des Moines, I visited the Museum of American Speed in Lincoln NE.  This spectacular museum is dedicated to preserving and displaying artifacts of automotive history and racing, like racing vehicles, engines and auto memorabilia, particularly from the Indianapolis 500.  In 2021, it was voted #1 best attraction for car lovers in USA today reader’s choice poll. The museum was founded in 1992 by “Speedy” Bill and Joyce Smith, and currently encompasses more than 150,000 sq. ft. over three levels. The vast collection resulted from the Smiths’ personal involvement in racing and hot rodding for more than six decades, and their lifelong passion for collecting and preserving historic automotive artifacts.

I was truly blown away by the extent of the displays.  It really is the gold standard for automobile museums, and compares for cars to what the Barber Museum is for motorcycles.  In addition to race cars, the museum houses sprint cars, midget racers, model Ts, soap box derby racers, a few motorcycles, and all sizes of children’s cars – from models to pedal cars.  There is even a working shop on site!  That is probably why they are in the middle of adding an additional 90,000 square feet of display space.

Approaching Des Moines, I was surprised by the mile after mile of wind farms dotting the landscape.  These giant turbines are over 250 feet tall, with blades that are 165 feet long.  One was standing upright at a truck weigh station, and it dwarfed the building and vehicles.  I learned that there are over 6,000 of these turbines in Iowa, the most in the US, making up over 55% of the state’s electricity.

Getting closer to Des Moines, there were signs trying to get me to stop at the John Wayne birthplace and museum, and to take a tour of the covered bridges of Madison County.  Those will have to wait for another trip.

Only a few blocks from my hotel in Des Moines, I visited the Papajohn Sculpture Park.  Founded in 2009 by venture capitalist John Papajohn, it is a 4-acre outdoor park with 28 unique sculptures from numerous artists from around the world, considered one of the most significant collections of outdoor sculptures in the US.  The sculptures were different than the metal compilations outside of Mt. Rainier, but some were very imaginative.

Sehnert1.jpg

Sehnert2.jpg

Sehnert3.jpg

Silo.jpg

POW.jpg

20220817_095223.jpg

Speed1.jpg

Speed2.jpg

Speed3.jpg

Speed4.jpg

1950 Ariel.jpg

Speed5.jpg

Speed6.jpg

Papajohn.jpg

Papajohn1.jpg

Papajohn2.jpg

Papajohn3.jpg

• Like 8

Nice to see I’m not the only one who finds enjoyment in what done call the “flyover” states😁.  Sehnerts is worth the stop for anyone crossing Nebraska.  I’ve been there twice and will be stopping again next month on my road-trip to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons.  I had originally discovered Sehnerts riding with my late buddy Ron Hamlin who had a knack for finding great “bakery” stops. 

I’ve added the Museum of American Speed to my list of stops next month as well.  

i love the Midwest and while the roads don’t offer the excitement of some in the southeast or Colorado the people are truly “Midwest friendly “ and there are tons of small towns with treasures to see.

Thanks for the update and poi info!!

Be safe!

• Like 1

I suppose those "endless corn fields" can be boring.   However, I've always felt sentimental enjoyment out of seeing them.   Perhaps it harkens back to my days as a very young child on my uncle's Michigan dairy farm.  Or, perhaps, I just see them as the nation's food supply, and since I like to eat a little TOO much .....   😏

Anyhow, my son married a Minnesota rural girl, and the last time I saw corn fields like that was driving from the airport to my in-laws home a couple of years ago.  Gorgeous in fall, but I keep thinking "what happens to this place in winter!?"   🥶😁

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Scott9999 said:

I suppose those "endless corn fields" can be boring.   However, I've always felt sentimental enjoyment out of seeing them.   Perhaps it harkens back to my days as a very young child on my uncle's Michigan dairy farm.  Or, perhaps, I just see them as the nation's food supply, and since I like to eat a little TOO much .....   😏

Anyhow, my son married a Minnesota rural girl, and the last time I saw corn fields like that was driving from the airport to my in-laws home a couple of years ago.  Gorgeous in fall, but I keep thinking "what happens to this place in winter!?"   🥶😁

Yeah .... I enjoy riding through corn fields and amber waves of grain :thumbsup:

But I'm with you ... the soft spot in my heart for the midwest stops when Fall ends! 

• Haha 1
30 minutes ago, RTinNC said:

Yeah .... I enjoy riding through corn fields and amber waves of grain :thumbsup:

But I'm with you ... the soft spot in my heart for the midwest stops when Fall ends! 

lol, and I live in NORTHERN Idaho, too.  I've lived in Michigan (very early memories), PA, Boston area, so I'm a SoCal boy who knows his cold.  But somehow, those winters in Midwest and plains states are just so irredeemably colder than here.   In fact, I live in foothills near a lake.  I have been in shirtsleeves outside at home, traveled a few miles away into the valley getting some gas, and dang near froze at the pump because the wind was blowing across the open plains area.  Just too cold for me.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Scott9999 said:

lol, and I live in NORTHERN Idaho, too.  I've lived in Michigan (very early memories), PA, Boston area, so I'm a SoCal boy who knows his cold.  But somehow, those winters in Midwest and plains states are just so irredeemably colder than here.   In fact, I live in foothills near a lake.  I have been in shirtsleeves outside at home, traveled a few miles away into the valley getting some gas, and dang near froze at the pump because the wind was blowing across the open plains area.  Just too cold for me.

I remember on a ride in western Michigan north of Manistee standing at an overlook looking at the lake and saying WOW ... this is gorgeous but LORD it must be HELL in the winter!    

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, RTinNC said:

I remember on a ride in western Michigan north of Manistee standing at an overlook looking at the lake and saying WOW ... this is gorgeous but LORD it must be HELL in the winter!    

It is. Lake Superior is even colder, and that's in the summer!

54 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

It is. Lake Superior is even colder, and that's in the summer!

I absolutely love Superior and Duluth is one of my new favorite cities.  Been to Duluth probably 3 or 4 times and really enjoyed it.  As odd as this may sound I would love to see Superior in winter during a storm ... from a safe and warm location on shore of course.   But Superior really fascinates me. 

• Haha 1

Lake Superior and Duluth are beautiful. I've been there many times, summer and winter. Driving along the North Shore to Grand Marais is also quite beautiful.

When there during a winter storm, you realize how small and vulnerable you are.

When I say Lake Superior is cold, I'm not kidding. During the warmest weather of summer it gets up to about 36°F. Many try to swim in it, or even just walk in. They mostly fail.

Quick fun fact, Lake Superior holds enough water to cover North America in 3 feet of water.

Sorry for the hijack Randy, your trip journal just brings out riding memories and brings us right along with you. It's been great reading about your trip, love the details you bring.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Hosstage said:

your trip journal just brings out riding memories and brings us right along with you. It's been great reading about your trip, love the details you bring.

^^   Agree.  I'm envious of how many miles you cover for days on end AND then do the visits and write-ups.  Impressive

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 2
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, BendBill said:

^^   Agree.  I'm envious of how many miles you cover for days on end AND then do the visits and write-ups.  Impressive

Having done a couple ride reports for my cross country trips I agree ... it's not the miles or the stops but the time to document it all and then spend the time at the end of each day to compile it into a post.   THAT is where the work and time comes in and you need to take good notes each day.   I enjoyed it but it is a LOT of work and time.   Appreciate Randy allowing us to ride along !! 

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
  • Thanks 1
RandyShields
18 hours ago, Robert conley said:

Having attended the Indy 500, 65 times, I really enjoyed seeing the Johnny Lightning car again. RIP Al Unser. 

If you can stand the personal touch over the lens, here is an Andy Granitelli STP car, complete with the STP-adorned pit crew coveralls.  This is not the no. 40 turbine car that came within a whisker of winning the 1967 Indy, only to fall out after Parnelli Jones led most of the way because of a $6 transmission part, but it is still a cool looking race car.

STP.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
RandyShields

Day 15: Des Moines to West Lafayette, IN (416 mi)

The evening before heading to West Lafayette, I stayed at the iconic Hotel Fort Des Moines, a redone classic hotel dating to 1918 where celebrities like Elvis and Johnny Cash once stayed. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is the only AAA 4 Diamond hotel in Des Moines. I love these older renovated downtown hotels with beautiful woodwork and character.  This is one of the best. On my way in, Meg, the desk clerk, seeing me waiting, set down her belongings as she was ready to go home so she could check me in.  Then on her way out, she also held the cart for me to unload my motorcycle so it wouldn’t roll away!  What fantastic customer service.

One of the reasons I picked this hotel was the proximity to some good restaurants.  I dined a block away at Centro, and had a fantastic pasta dish with Chianti, probably a close second to the great meal in Vail.  While it is sometimes easier to stay at the suburban motels, where you can park right in front of your room, they actually had a free parking area reserved for motorcycles in the adjoining deck.  Very convenient. 

When I left in the morning, Tim, the manager, asked me how I enjoyed my stay.  While I was singing the praises of his hotel, I gave a shout out to Meg, and he let me know he had managed the redone Arcade hotel in Cleveland, where I stayed on numerous occasions when doing the National City merger with PNC.  Then, not to be outdone, he held onto the luggage rack while I packed up my RT to leave. 

I love this place.

Some observations on the way to West Lafayette: more corn; more wind turbines; rode by the world’s largest truck stop (Iowa 80, with 220 acres!) (I didn’t stop) (Iowa 80 Truckstop - World's Largest Truckstop!); the Herbert Hoover memorial and library; and Reagan and Lincoln attractions. 

As my wife and I watch a lot of vet shows on Animal Planet and Nat Geo Wild (Dr. Pol, Dr. Jeff, Rocky Mountain Vet, Dr. Oakley, Yukon Vet), I did do a U-turn to snap a photo of the Heartland Veterinary Services clinic just outside of town.  Unfortunately, after getting excited and sharing the photo with my wife, my research revealed that the husband and wife who are the televised heartland vets are from Nebraska, not Indiana. 

With the final time change to edt, I got into town about 5 pm (West Lafayette, home of the alma mater of some friends, Purdue University).  I noticed the city is in Tippecanoe County.  I had always wondered about the phrase “Tippecanoe and Tyler too”, so poking around Google learned that this references William Henry Harrison, the former military officer who, in a not currently politically correct history, fought native Americans, including one at the battle of Tippecanoe in nearby Battle Ground, Indiana.  In what was considered one of the first active presidential campaigns, he successfully used this phrase with his running mate in 1840 to become the 9th president of the US, although his term was the shortest when he died a month after his inauguration.

My stay in West Lafayette was with my riding friend, Shawn Goulding, with whom I go back to one of the first Ride Smart classes.  He was still in town for another month before moving back south.  I got to meet his sweet English Bulldog, Betty (who couldn’t love that mug), and set a new standard in mooching:  I got a free bed, shared his Woodford Reserve, used his detergent for a load of laundry, and had him pick up dinner at Walt’s Pub and Grille when I conveniently forgot my wallet in my tankbag.  Then I got a rare, 7 hours of uninterrupted sleep before we pushed out together in the morning.  My RT got an honored spot in the garage with his lovely toys: a 1250 RT, 1100RT and HD FHLTP.  Another great day on the road.

Hotel.jpg

Hotel1.jpg

Hotel5.jpg

Hotel3.jpg

Hotel4.jpg

Hotel2.jpg

Hotel6.jpg

Wind turbines.jpg

Vets.jpg

Betty.jpg

Toys.jpg

• Like 4
RandyShields
20 hours ago, Hosstage said:

Sorry for the hijack Randy, your trip journal just brings out riding memories and brings us right along with you. It's been great reading about your trip, love the details you bring.

No hijack worries.  Just happy the reports are of interest and generating some feedback and dialogue.  And as you have noticed, Ed is not too concerned with any hijack issues. :)

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
1 hour ago, RandyShields said:

No hijack worries.  Just happy the reports are of interest and generating some feedback and dialogue.  And as you have noticed, Ed is not too concerned with any hijack issues. :)

Hey Hey ... .I just wanted to ensure you felt your report were actually being read and not just ogling the photos :18:

But you did mis a gem of a POI Stop when you passed Iowa 80.   Don and Doug gave me grief when I included Iowa 80 on out trip to the MOA National in 2019 until they saw it,  then it became a Cool stop for sure.   How big is it ... they have TWO full size 18 wheelers INSIDE and you don't even know they are there! 

West Lafayette is one of my favorite stops as well.  There are 2 nice hotel options right by the water and walking to restaurants.  

Be safe and enjoy! 

• Like 1
RandyShields

Day 16: West Lafayette to Hazard, KY (390 mi)

I departed early with Shawn who was heading into work as I turned south.

After another 4-hour ride on the interstates, I was the beneficiary of some fantastic scenic and curvy roads in KY after Dave Douglass sent my routing request to Robert Conley, who responded with some gems.  I had to do a quick mind-reset when transitioning to 25-30 mph hills and blind curves after so much time on the slab.

Immediately after getting off I 75 and earlier passing by the Creation Museum, I stopped at the Ark Encounter.  This is a Christian religious and Young Earth creationist theme park that opened in Grant County, Kentucky in 2016. The centerpiece of the park is a large representation of Noah's Ark based on the flood story in the Bible. I didn’t have the time or inclination to go in and have to deal with the Earth creationist beliefs about the topics like the age of the earth and the co-existence humans and dinosaurs, but I did want to see the Ark.  I got a photo from the parking lot at distance, and it looks huge (510 feet long, 85 feet wide, and 51 feet high)!  As I finished snapping the photo, I noticed a golf cart from the entrance area speeding to my location.  I pulled my gloves back on and was away before they got too close.

Soon, I was over Furnace Mountain and, consistent with the religious theme of the day, located the entrance to the Zen Center.  This is a Buddhist Zen retreat center located on more than 800 acres of the Daniel Boone National Forest in the Red River Gorge area of Kentucky.  I found that it was closed (the sign on the locked gate said they were on a retreat), but I wanted to see the temple.  I could only catch general glimpses of a structure through the foliage, but there was no place to park on the narrow roads to get a picture.  (FYI, a lot of these roads I would classify as “Ken roads” as they were barely wide enough to allow two vehicles to pass by each other safely.)

After the twisties, I found myself on the lovely rolling hills of the horse farms near Lexington, KY.  These were beautiful fence and rock lined properties with hundreds of acres of pastures and some large barns.  And, oh yes, there were some gorgeous horses.  It reminded me of the birthday trip for my wife several years ago to attend the Rolex three-day eventing competition.  We were fortunate enough to visit the local farm of a friend and met a three-week old foal, sired by American Pharaoh, who had just won the triple crown.  This was one playful and friendly colt, and mom was not too pleased that he was interacting so closely with us.  I noticed that his halter had dad’s name on it and I asked what his name was.  The response was a droll – when someone pays the price of a colt at this level, they will get to name the horse.  OK; understood.

This final day up to Hazard, KY before heading home not so perfect. I hadn’t realized that the prior month’s flash flood devastation was in large part from the creek branches heading up KY 15.  In addition to the debris on the banks and near the road, there were demolished houses, roofs, and overturned cars around every bend.  Many disaster relief vehicles and volunteers were working the damage.  I didn’t think it would be appropriate to stop and take photos; you can see the damage online.  It was a troubling end to an otherwise satisfying day.  I am counting my blessings.

Ark.jpg

20220819_112912.jpg

Horse farm.jpg

• Like 5

It is truly amazing some of the devastation you see riding though various parts of the country.   A few years back we were heading west through WV and kept seeing homes with piles of furniture and debris in front of homes, most in disrepair.  Then we finally realized this was the path of a massive flash flood that occurred in just an hour or 2.  It certainly makes you so appreciate how lucky we all are living where we do and with the comforts we often take for granted.   Great report !! 

• Like 1
RandyShields

Day 17: Hazard, KY to home (300 mi)

I got out early on my final ride day, still reeling from the damage I saw to the lives and property of the locals.  The parking lot of the Hampton Inn was next to a larger lot next to a grocery store, and that seemed to be the main HQ of the teams brought in to assist with the disaster recovery.  There were at least 15 trucks and semis with recovery company information on them (e.g., ServePro), as well as the Red Cross and many private vehicles.  On the ride out, there were seemingly giant piles of flood-damaged debris from homes gathered for teams to haul away at some point. Kudos to all of them for stepping into a difficult situation.

Setting that aside, I was ready to get home.  Not ready enough to jump on the interstates the whole way, though.  I continued down KY 15 and US 23 in comfortable mid-60s temps, then through the tip of VA and across US 321 into TN.  This road, north of Boone, NC, is fantastic, and a designated TN scenic byway.  I stopped after a couple of hours at a rec area on Lake Watauga, which I had passed many times before without stopping.  There were locals coming in to cook lunch, and many sailboats and water skiers already on the lake.  Earlier, I had noticed that I was going to pass by Elizabethton, TN, home of one of the best BBQ locations I have ever found – Ridgewood BBQ.  Even though I was eager to get home after all the miles, I was punching in the waypoint when I noticed on Google, that they wouldn’t be open for another hour.  Oh well, that will wait for another trip.

I enjoyed the curves and scenery of US 321, including the dramatic views of the Blue Ridge coming down the last mountain from Blowing Rock.  The temps jumped from a comfortable 69° to 83° as soon as I came off the mountain.  I jumped behind some pigeons where were doing 15 mph over the speed limit to shorten my travel time, achieving my final goal of the tour – arriving home safely just after 1 pm and, after unloading the bike, pouring a well-earned G & T to enjoy on my familiar porch lounge chair.

Just a quick word about the RT.  I became more and more impressed with this machine every day on tour.  It is stable, comfortable, smooth, handles well and carries a big load.  I hadn't put it to a test like this since I got it last year, but it is clearly an impressive and capable machine that I am super pleased with.  I now understand why so many board members have stayed on this side of the aisle versus the GS.  

I also include a photo of our Coco – at least one of the pups on the trip who was happy to see me. Now, to the drudgery of unpacking, laundry, mail and other mundane tasks.  Despite all that, the trip was well worth it.  Thanks for riding along with me.

Final tally:

·        5,330 miles

·        15 states

·        4 national parks and 1 national volcanic monument

·        Rode the Going to the Sun Road and Bear Tooth Highway

·        Captured 10 lighthouses

·        Visited family and riding friends on the way.

·        Great sights and memories

Lake1.jpg

Lake2.jpg

RT.jpg

Happy Coco.jpg

G & T.jpg

• Like 12

Welcome home and a big THANK YOU for taking us on your trip.   Just yesterday Don, Joe, Mark and I attended the NC Ride Safe training at Cabarrus Sheriff Office and over lunch we were discussing your trip and the consensus of opinion was it is a LOT of work to do a ride report for any LD ride.  So thanks I enjoyed the ride and it has me anxious to get on the road next month to Yellowstone, although it will be in our Outback you have provided a few stops I will definitely make! 

About the RT ... I could not agree more!    My '16 RT has 48K on the clock the most I have ever put on any bike.   It has taken me across the US 3 times,  around Lake Superior and to Nova Scotia!  It is comfortable and handles great for it's size.   I still love my GS for shorter trips but when hitting the road for longer ride the RT is one of the best options out there.  I keep thinking I should swap it for a newer model but I am so attached to my trustee RT and the memories we've had together it is hard to consider parting with it. 

Enjoy your home time!   :18:

RandyShields
3 hours ago, RTinNC said:

Enjoy your home time!

Thanks Ed, and I appreciate all your comments and posts along the way.

• Like 2
RandyShields
17 hours ago, Chris K said:

Thanks for taking us along.

Thank you Dave, Lowndes and Chris.  Planning to take photos and write something up after each ride made me focus more on the great things I could see each day.

• Like 3
RandyShields
10 hours ago, MikeB60 said:

Randy, I very much enjoyed the virtual ride along!

Thanks Mike!  Glad you enjoyed it.

On 8/20/2022 at 2:54 PM, RandyShields said:

Final tally:

·        5,330 miles

·        15 states

·        4 national parks and 1 national volcanic monument

·        Rode the Going to the Sun Road and Bear Tooth Highway

·        Captured 10 lighthouses

·        Visited family and riding friends on the way.

·        Great sights and memories

That’s a job well done, right there! :5185:  Question, at anytime on the trip did ya miss the big 16’s motor? The one clear memory of mine, it was an open road rocket ship. :18:

RandyShields
7 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Question, at anytime on the trip did ya miss the big 16’s motor?

Thanks Tewks.  I loved the K1600 engine but, in truth, the RT was just as fast and almost as smooth.  Then, layer on all the other benefits -- like less weight -- and I would choose the RT over the K1600.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1

My riding buddy was considering moving from his RT to a K1600 for "more power" .... when discussing it with our dealer the dealer indicated that the RT is actually just about as fast as the K1600 up to about 70 MPH where the K obviously has more top end.   As Randy note the power to weight ratio plays a big factor. 

WOW .. a quick search and this popped up.   Consistent with what has been posted and the follow up comments were consistent as well. 

2014 R1200RT comparison with K1600

RandyShields
52 minutes ago, RTinNC said:

a quick search and this popped up

Thanks Ed.  I think a few comments about the K1600 are dated, as they have continued to upgrade the bike to match the features on the RT since 2014.  Yes, the power keeps rolling on with the K, and it is quite torquey with a cool howl when accelerating, but even cruising out west at 80 - 85 mph, the RT was plenty smooth.  I loved my K bike, but I am happier with the RT.

3 minutes ago, RandyShields said:

Thanks Ed.  I think a few comments about the K1600 are dated, as they have continued to upgrade the bike to match the features on the RT since 2014.  Yes, the power keeps rolling on with the K, and it is quite torquey with a cool howl when accelerating, but even cruising out west at 80 - 85 mph, the RT was plenty smooth.  I loved my K bike, but I am happier with the RT.

Yes that is certainly the case and the features are now very similar.  The key elements though were the power, weight, handling, etc.   For me the RT is as heavy a bike as I would want and offers more power than I would ever need.    But IMHO the best feature about the K1600 was that sound!!  Like a symphony with a rock beat.  

• Like 1