IGNORED

Another way to enjoy riding.

BamaJohn

I guess it's time to reveal the answer to the statement.....

Last fall I declared that I would quit riding motorcycles on my 80th birthday (jan 4, 2023).  

After a couple of trials to see what hobby might keep me actively-involved and fun to do, I was at a dead-end.

So, on Wednesday, I bought a 2020 Can Am Spyder RT (keeping RT in the mix) and will be selling my 2017 R1200RT.

I expect that DyAnne (Vanna) will be happy to have another Spyder show up at gatherings, and I will be showing up.

The question of "why would you quit riding when you don't have to?" keeps popping up in my mind, and the answer is that I have a history of bowing out of avocational activities before something untoward makes me quit....this is just another example.

Although I'll miss FART '22, I'll see you on the flip side......

(photo is not mine, but a sister ship)

62dee1f9b20ce95f395b6c78.jpg

• Like 7

Hey, maybe we could start a new subgroup? :5146: 
Names, hmm what could it be? :dontknow:

“Three’s company”

“Dude, where’s the snow?”

“Older, a little less bolder, but dayum I don’t need to worry about no uneven road shoulder”

Ok, that one might be a little long! :classic_biggrin:

One warning, you’ll get very little respect from HD riders, and the geese, forget about it! :rofl:

image.thumb.jpeg.1ded1cc16d7c529c11c2d141c9ce89cf.jpeg

• Like 1

I'm buying a large BMW roundel to fit onto the front trunk (aka "frunk")....that'll keep me in good stead with this group huh?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It’s a brotherhood thing, funny jabs are allowed in the club! ;) :grin:

Don't show anyone else but here’s the secret greeting. ;) :grin:

image.thumb.jpeg.bb8b7408db56c4b53f8e50b3012e394d.jpeg

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, BamaJohn said:

I guess it's time to reveal the answer to the statement.....

Last fall I declared that I would quit riding motorcycles on my 80th birthday (jan 4, 2023).  

After a couple of trials to see what hobby might keep me actively-involved and fun to do, I was at a dead-end.

So, on Wednesday, I bought a 2020 Can Am Spyder RT (keeping RT in the mix) and will be selling my 2017 R1200RT.

I expect that DyAnne (Vanna) will be happy to have another Spyder show up at gatherings, and I will be showing up.

The question of "why would you quit riding when you don't have to?" keeps popping up in my mind, and the answer is that I have a history of bowing out of avocational activities before something untoward makes me quit....this is just another example.

Although I'll miss FART '22, I'll see you on the flip side......

(photo is not mine, but a sister ship)

You didn't quit, and fold up into a rocking chair.  That says quite a bit about your character (or maybe, that you ARE some kinda character 😏).  

You're a wise man.  Have some fun and don't look back!

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 2

Riding, no matter what age, is a balance of risk vs reward.  Smart riders manage the risks to keep the odds tilted in their favor.  You're just minimizing the risk while still trying to achieve the reward.  Nothing wrong with that at all. You're still riding, just modifying how.  I only hope to still be able to ride when I hit 80, so you're doing something right.

• Like 3
  • Plus 1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Smile 1

Just bought Susan a 2022 canam ryker rally today. Her knees are a big issue and she was denied knee replacement cause she is too "young.:

2022-08-06 12.48.24 (Medium).jpg

• Like 1

John....It's to be applauded that before your reactions on a bike might slow down, you get ahead of it and change to the next best thing.  A different hobby, but I went through similar 2 years ago.  A story first.

About 20 years ago I was taking my plane to Mexico and invited my flight instructor from the 1980"s.  He was probably 70 ish at the time.  He was one of the most precise pilot I had known.  He paid attention to all details.  My airplane was a tail dragger.  He had never flown a tail dragger so I handed him the controls once airborne.  His skills had clearly declined.  He couldn't hold heading, altitude, or follow and instrument approach with any kind of precision.  I had the same experience with another friend/pilot a few years later.  I remember saying to myself they should quit before they hurt themselves and I hope I will do the same when the skills decline.

Well two years ago at age 65, I decided to sell the plane and hang up my commercial certificate.  I don't think I lost any skill and I am sure my conservative judgement was still strong.  However in the back of my mind was my experiences described above.  I told the wife one morning....I'm done with flying and I'm selling my airplane.  She still ask me every couple of weeks do I miss it.  I don't.  I don't miss flying, I do miss piddling with my airplane.  There would have come a time that I would have been sloppy like my friends.  I'm glad I stopped before that time....well before that time.

I suspect you will miss the bike for a little bit, but not long.  Immerse yourself into the new ride and you will be fine.  I took up fishing, bought a boat (again as have owned many), and have replaced airplane piddling with boat piddling.  I've met a ton of new friends with the new hobby.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, TSConver said:

Just bought Susan a 2022 canam ryker rally today. Her knees are a big issue and she was denied knee replacement cause she is too "young.:

2022-08-06 12.48.24 (Medium).jpg

Good looking Ryker Susan!

9 hours ago, Skywagon said:

John....It's to be applauded that before your reactions on a bike might slow down, you get ahead of it and change to the next best thing.  A different hobby, but I went through similar 2 years ago.  A story first.

About 20 years ago I was taking my plane to Mexico and invited my flight instructor from the 1980"s.  He was probably 70 ish at the time.  He was one of the most precise pilot I had known.  He paid attention to all details.  My airplane was a tail dragger.  He had never flown a tail dragger so I handed him the controls once airborne.  His skills had clearly declined.  He couldn't hold heading, altitude, or follow and instrument approach with any kind of precision.  I had the same experience with another friend/pilot a few years later.  I remember saying to myself they should quit before they hurt themselves and I hope I will do the same when the skills decline.

Well two years ago at age 65, I decided to sell the plane and hang up my commercial certificate.  I don't think I lost any skill and I am sure my conservative judgement was still strong.  However in the back of my mind was my experiences described above.  I told the wife one morning....I'm done with flying and I'm selling my airplane.  She still ask me every couple of weeks do I miss it.  I don't.  I don't miss flying, I do miss piddling with my airplane.  There would have come a time that I would have been sloppy like my friends.  I'm glad I stopped before that time....well before that time.

I suspect you will miss the bike for a little bit, but not long.  Immerse yourself into the new ride and you will be fine.  I took up fishing, bought a boat (again as have owned many), and have replaced airplane piddling with boat piddling.  I've met a ton of new friends with the new hobby.

Thanks for sharing David!  You described perfectly my approach to the issue at hand.  

On 8/6/2022 at 8:42 AM, TEWKS said:

Don't show anyone else but here’s the secret greeting.

Got it !!!

Wife's 'first edition'  ... on the way to 2018 UNRally in Palmer Gulch

2BE0C279-EB92-4F60-8D94-7E05B99B1107_1_105_c.jpeg

• Like 2

I'd rather have a new Ford Transit Van.  Yup, as I approach 80 I've thought about hanging it up.  Probably a smart choice in my case primarily driven by the crazy drivers out there that can't obey speed limits, tail gate, pass over double yellows and on and on.  Every tourist season it just gets worse in these parts that being the PNW.  The main source of the problem is directly related to idiot tourists from California and people that have relocated here from that golden state of mind simple as that and it just pisses me the h&*l off!  I'd move myself but I can't decide where I would go.  The fly over states are out as well as the southwest or, worse yet, the southeast.  The northeast is a virtual tax hell and the road salt will ruin your day and your rolling stock big time and the people per square mile is insane.  So, I guess I'll stay where I'm at here on the central OR coast at least the climate is mild and the air quality is fine.  Well, I managed to once again stray way off topic, sorry. Grrrrrr.....

23 minutes ago, JamesW said:

Well, I managed to once again stray way off topic, sorry. Grrrrrr..

Nope, it’s entertaining as hell! :yes:

image.jpeg

Maybe if I announce this in public I may actually get off my arse and get the Maine camping trip in that I’ve been planning for a long while. And, I just like showing off my rig! :classic_biggrin:

image.thumb.jpeg.a795e7f0d2da65ba70ab53125903aac6.jpeg

• Like 3
2 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Maybe if I announce this in public I may actually get off my arse and get the Maine camping trip in that I’ve been planning for a long while. And, I just like showing off my rig! :classic_biggrin:

image.thumb.jpeg.a795e7f0d2da65ba70ab53125903aac6.jpeg

That is a cool rig, but reminds me a little of the tail wagging the dog, although I've probably towed more with less hp : ) How is it at hwy speeds and does it feel like a strain on the bike or not. Towing with under-powered vehicles I've found wind resistance is a bigger factor than weight above 65-70.. of course I wouldn't recommend anyone towing something above those speeds. :grin:

Pretty cool...it would be better with a generator on the front and an air conditioner in that window.  That way when the Mrs. gets miserable camping she can get cooled off.  Besides at a camp site who doesn't like the sound of a generator running all night.....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, roadscholar said:

How is it at hwy speeds and does it feel like a strain on the bike or not

Thanks Bill, the trailer is about 400 pounds per the manufacturer. I (probably shouldn’t have) (tongue weight) added the tool/storage box for the dirty camping essentials. It IMO has enough power though. Braking is ok too, more attention to traffic stopping but just like anything being towed. Will it wear out the Spyder prematurely? Maybe, but that is going to take some more trips to find that out. :classic_biggrin:

Hey, allow me to bore you with some home video. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

Pretty cool...it would be better with a generator on the front and an air conditioner in that window

There is an AC option but it added a lot of tongue weight which I’m already pushing the limits on. ;)

6 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Thanks Bill, the trailer is about 400 pounds per the manufacturer. I (probably shouldn’t have) (tongue weight) added the tool/storage box for the dirty camping essentials. It IMO has enough power though. Braking is ok too, more attention to traffic stopping but just like anything being towed. Will it wear out the Spyder prematurely? Maybe, but that is going to take some more trips to find that out. :classic_biggrin:

Hey, allow me to bore you with some home video. :classic_biggrin:

Love it, what a great setup. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, JamesW said:

..  The main source of the problem is directly related to idiot tourists from California and people that have relocated here from that golden state of mind simple as that and it just pisses me the h&*l off!  I'd move myself but I can't decide where I would go.  The fly over states are out as well as the southwest or, worse yet, the southeast.  The northeast is a virtual tax hell and the road salt will ruin your day and your rolling stock big time and the people per square mile is insane.  So, I guess I'll stay where I'm at here on the central OR coast at least the climate is mild and the air quality is fine.  Well, I managed to once again stray way off topic, sorry. Grrrrrr.....

We built a new house 20 years ago, moving from a subdivision out into the country.  It was a great idea, more privacy, less noise.  Other people thought so too,  moving nearby, increasing traffic and noise and light pollution. Regional planning commission has ideas that could make our road a connector between an interstate and another limited access highway. The nearby city has grown closer, and there are several hundred acres of nearby farmland that are ripe for development. So we thought maybe we should move someplace more remote. But if we do that (again), we become the "new" people intruding on the remoteness of others.. The real  problem is that there are just too many people here and I'm having trouble finding transportation to another planet.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, roadscholar said:

That is a cool rig, but reminds me a little of the tail wagging the dog, although I've probably towed more with less hp : ) How is it at hwy speeds and does it feel like a strain on the bike or not. Towing with under-powered vehicles I've found wind resistance is a bigger factor than weight above 65-70.. of course I wouldn't recommend anyone towing something above those speeds. :grin:

Seen this in Gardendale, AL one year.

image.png.42a284e82a5daedf83350c3a7d9b7455.png

Meanwhile, I got stuck in traffic

image.png.66c8533933f9fc04c7a29eea405599a4.png

I had stolen the wifes truck for the weekend and made the trip alone, so no need for the toyhauler

image.png.90301e321714f28c8ea4928883c3cb02.png

35 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Seen this in Gardendale, AL one year.

image.png.42a284e82a5daedf83350c3a7d9b7455.png

Yeah, that’s probably the crowd I’m towing with! :classic_biggrin:

He’s probably pushing it a little, 3.7L with a 3k Jeep and 1800lb trailer but like Pat mentioned it’s often more about the brakes and tongue weight. 

I used to tow vintage 911 race cars (2200lbs) on an aluminum trailer (800lbs) with turbodiesel MB wagons but also with a 190E gas 4 cylinder, strong cars but not a lot of power. One time I hooked up to a 240D (65hp) just to see what would happen, went one exit on the interstate, it took 3 miles to get er up to 70, was the last time I did that : )

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

He’s probably pushing it a little, 3.7L with a 3k Jeep and 1800lb trailer but like Pat mentioned it’s often more about the brakes and tongue weight. 

I used to tow vintage 911 race cars (2200lbs) on an aluminum trailer (800lbs) with turbodiesel MB wagons but also with a 190E gas 4 cylinder, strong cars but not a lot of power. One time I hooked up to a 240D (65hp) just to see what would happen, went one exit on the interstate, it took 3 miles to get er up to 70, was the last time I did that : )

Jeep on trailer weighs in at just under 4k maybe much more, hes running 38 boggers(heavy,heavy tires). My TJ came in at 3800lbs. I weighed it before we bought the toyhauler, cause the toyhaulers net carrying capacity was 4400lbs. 

if you notice, thats a YJ, but the diff is on the passenger side, so, its not a stock dana 30, its either a D44 or D60 and if the fronts been swapped, the back is highly likely to have been swapped as well. 

The little Liberty is hauling some weight and I don’t recall if it was a diesel or gasser. 

I know Ive overloaded several times and even pulled without trailer brakes with a heavy load, its all about anticipating the next move. 

7 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

its all about anticipating the next move. 

For sure, in some ways similar to racing. 

• Like 2
On 8/10/2022 at 11:52 AM, lkraus said:

We built a new house 20 years ago, moving from a subdivision out into the country.  It was a great idea, more privacy, less noise.  Other people thought so too,  moving nearby, increasing traffic and noise and light pollution. Regional planning commission has ideas that could make our road a connector between an interstate and another limited access highway. The nearby city has grown closer, and there are several hundred acres of nearby farmland that are ripe for development. So we thought maybe we should move someplace more remote. But if we do that (again), we become the "new" people intruding on the remoteness of others.. The real  problem is that there are just too many people here and I'm having trouble finding transportation to another planet.

Hi Larry,  What you say is so true.  We aren't moving from the Oregon Coast because obviously we can't go west and going east is a non-starter as in too hot and only more people.  Then you have so many states that have absolutely no planning regs where development is concerned and you get exactly what you have in Ohio.  As far as the mid west goes too much corn, humidity, heat, and flat like a fritter.  I been on the coast too long and I've learned to put up with moss growing on my north side when I stand in one spot too long.  Got to 72 degrees yesterday which is warm for here gonna be 68 today with a crystal clear sky.  When I was a kid I hated the coast because it was too cold but now I love it.  

Hey, maybe I should shut my yap either that or volunteer at the local chamber of commerce.  Not likely!  Might even fire up the '93 Beemer and take a ride.:D