IGNORED

2013 F700GS No Start

TSConver

So looking for some info / validation.  Yesterday my wife's F700GS about a mile from home just completely went dead.  No screen, no lights, no nothing.  After a mile push back home went to diagnosing.  Checked all the wires and switches, pulled the ignition switch, removed the hex can.  Still no power.  The strange part every once in a while it would power up but as soon as I touched the started it would completely black out again.  Also another strange thing is when you turned the key off the gauges would twitch and the display would show the time and mileage as it normally does when you key off. 

Pulled the plastic and dug to the battery.  Nothing looked out of the ordinary so I put a meter on it.  12.5v.  As soon as I keyed on it dropped to 6 volts.  OK had the bike for a year no idea how old the battery is,.  So I pulled it and took it in to the local battery shop.  They tested it and said it appears fine.  Not sure how accurate the testers are for small batteries.  After the manager said I could return a new battery if I did not cosmetically damage it so he could put it back on the shelf home I went with a new AGM battery.  Dropped it in and everything seems normal now.

Just never saw a battery behave quite like that.  Anyone have any thoughts?  Do I have a bigger problem or just ride it?  Oh and it is charging at 14.4 volts so the charging circuit is healthy.  Probably will put the 911 on it and see if it has any codes that are stored.  Bet it has a bunch of low voltage ones.

Motorcycle batteries are subject to conditions that cause strange behavior.  Modern technology has pushed the envelopes for smaller, more power.   Sometimes that works out, other times no.  It is hard to predict how a small battery will work on a motorcycle.    

• Like 1

TS.....I had the exact same thing happen to me on my RT about a year ago.  There is a thread on it somewhere.  New battery cured it.  I was stranded too.  I even took the old battery out, put it on my bench, charged it, tested good, and poof...wouldn't do squat.  DR gave an explanation for why, but I don't remember.  The battery was 3 years old.

• Like 1

If you plan on keeping the battery on a "tender," just ensure you have a charger/tender capable for the that specific battery.  A good place to check is with manufacturers web site, or call.

Hopefully, the charging system on the bike can keep it charged while in use. 

30 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

If you plan on keeping the battery on a "tender," just ensure you have a charger/tender capable for the that specific battery.  A good place to check is with manufacturers web site, or call.

Hopefully, the charging system on the bike can keep it charged while in use. 

It is just an AGM, not a Li Ion.  Should not have any issues charging it.

4 hours ago, TSConver said:

So looking for some info / validation.  Yesterday my wife's F700GS about a mile from home just completely went dead.  No screen, no lights, no nothing.  After a mile push back home went to diagnosing.  Checked all the wires and switches, pulled the ignition switch, removed the hex can.  Still no power.  The strange part every once in a while it would power up but as soon as I touched the started it would completely black out again.  Also another strange thing is when you turned the key off the gauges would twitch and the display would show the time and mileage as it normally does when you key off. 

Pulled the plastic and dug to the battery.  Nothing looked out of the ordinary so I put a meter on it.  12.5v.  As soon as I keyed on it dropped to 6 volts.  OK had the bike for a year no idea how old the battery is,.  So I pulled it and took it in to the local battery shop.  They tested it and said it appears fine.  Not sure how accurate the testers are for small batteries.  After the manager said I could return a new battery if I did not cosmetically damage it so he could put it back on the shelf home I went with a new AGM battery.  Dropped it in and everything seems normal now.

Just never saw a battery behave quite like that.  Anyone have any thoughts?  Do I have a bigger problem or just ride it?  Oh and it is charging at 14.4 volts so the charging circuit is healthy.  Probably will put the 911 on it and see if it has any codes that are stored.  Bet it has a bunch of low voltage ones.

Afternoon TSConver

A failing GEL battery can act just like that, take a surface charge OK, show good open circuit voltage but drop off to nothing as soon as a load is put on it.  

Even an AGM can do that but you see it much less often in an AGM battery.