IGNORED

Burning clutch smell

dfichter1

I am the proud new owner of a 2004 R1150RT that I purchased from Bob's BMW used with 1475 miles on it. I've been riding it for the past 3 days and I've noticed that there is a burning smell any time I accellerate hard. The clutch releases very early and doesn't have any play. I've looked for a way to adjust it but have come up with nothing so far. Does anybody have any suggestions.

When you say accelerate hard, do you mean from get-go, or while in motion ie roll-on.

If it is from standstill, the problem is technique. The dry clutch does not respond well to high-rev take-offs. The best technique is to get the clutch out quick - by 1500rpm, and then gas it hard, using the torque of the motor.

Andy thumbsup.gif

BTW, welcome to the board - there's loads of good information and better people to be found here wave.gif

I smell it both when I'm just starting off and when I just get on the gass hard. I took the bike out for a couple hour drive today and made sure to start off slow, it did much better. I am still a bit concerned about the lack of clutch and the fact that I have no play in the clutch.

The clutch on your o4 is hydraulic and not adjustable. What is the fluid level in the resevoir like. At the mileage on your bike it should be in the centre - with wear the level rises and the clutch actuation gets further from the bars.

Andy

The fluid level is to the top of the window, and when I pull the clutch lever in less than 1/2 inch it disengages. I wonder if the previous owner rode it like it was a wet multidisk clutch, but still, at 1475 miles he couldn't have wasted an entire clutch disk.

The fluid level is to the top of the window, and when I pull the clutch lever in less than 1/2 inch it disengages. I wonder if the previous owner rode it like it was a wet multidisk clutch, but still, at 1475 miles he couldn't have wasted an entire clutch disk.

It is always possible the resevoir was overfilled and the clutch is not disengaging properly. Try syringing out some fluid to get the level mid-window and see if that helps. If not, go back to the seller and seek recompense to the cost of clutch replacement - it is a BIG job and takes about 8 hours of dealer time.

On the other hand, it would take more than hard abuse to wear out a clutch in that time. Either the mileage has been frigged, or there is a fault with the clutch. With the US 3 year/36000 mile warranty, I would let BMW pay to sort it.

Andy

Thank you very much for your suggestions, I'll try reducing the fluid to mid level and give it a try, and if that doesn't work, I'll take it back to Bob's BMW to let them figure it out. Thanks again!

Archived