IGNORED

Bargain Foot peg lowering kit. R1100RT

Uncle Mike

I wanted to lower my foot pegs since I have a 32 inch inseam but all the kits here in the U.S. and Germany are so expensive for a 23 year old bike. Anywhere from $200.00 to$ 250.00. I decided to try a kit from Alibaba.  

Part was $29.99. With shipping total was $40.65. Had to purchase an additional set of foot peg pins. Purchased those on Ebay from England that included washers and cotter pins. $22.83 and shipping $6.63. A couple of spacers and  two more cotter pins from Lowe's. Total about $72.00.

The machined parts looked great. The only thing I could not use was the return springs for the foot pegs. They will still fold back but I need to manually move them forward again. 

I had already added a break lever extension before and I moved the shifter to the lowest position. Will need to take it for a test ride if it cools down here. 

HCL NEW Motorcycle Rockster Adjustable Driver Footrest Passenger Lowering For BMW R1150RT R1100RT R1150R R1150 RT

20220727_172827_resized.jpg

20220727_172834_resized.jpg

20220727_172902_resized.jpg

20220727_172911_resized.jpg

• Like 2

Love when the bargain chance purchase turns into a winner. Those look decent.  I've haven't directly bought from Alibaba, or maybe I have. I suspect that some of the e-bay and Amazon buys for bargain stuff came via Alibaba,  Hope they let Jack Ma out of reeducation camp early for good behavor.....

• 5 months later...

I am looking for relief and this may be the ticket, so thanks for posting.  

How much drop? How much relief?

I need to increase space between the footrest and shifter for my big boots, AND decrease knee bend angle. 

My stock 1150 is difficult for me to shift - rather get my boot under the shifter. I have adjusted the shifter to the max.  Also, my knee bend angle is such that the damaged part of my cartilage is constantly being irritated while riding with my foot on the rest. 

My thinking and hope is to lower my foot to find relief for both for my old, arthritic, beat up Paratrooper knees and ankles.  Finding a budget fix is a bonus, but if it doesn't provide relief, I'm not out an excessive amount of cash. I'm not opposed to purchasing the over priced versions for said relief - they're less expensive than the alternative of investing in a 1600 or 1800. Uffda that's a lot of $$$! 

I am looking for relief and your budget fix may be the ticket, so thanks for posting.  

How much drop? How much relief?

I need to increase space between the footrest and shifter for my big boots, AND decrease knee bend angle. 

My stock 1150 is difficult for me to shift – rather get my boot under the shifter. I have adjusted the shifter to the max.  Also, my knee bend angle is such that the damaged part of my cartilage is constantly being irritated while riding with my foot on the rest. 

My thinking and hope is to lower my foot to find relief for both for my old, arthritic Paratrooper knees and ankles. j Finding a budget fix is a bonus, but if it doesn’t provide relief, I’m not out an excessive amount of cash.  I’m not opposed to purchasing the over priced versions for said relief – they’re less expensive than the alternative of investing in a 1600 or 1800. Uffda that’s a lot of $$$! 

Last fall I purchased a set on eBay, but the holes didn’t align; I got a full refund.

I have a set of these from Alibaba on the way for a K bike.  Different part numbers but look very similar.  I believe the description on mine said 1.5 inch lowering.  Doesn't sound like much but it is.

https://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?fsb=y&IndexArea=product_en&CatId=&tab=all&SearchText=HCL+BMW+Motorcycle+Driver+Footrest+Lowering+

You could also try a pad for the seat, something you can slip forward under your kiester when you are rolling and push it back when you get into town.  AirHawk?? (the smaller the better)

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=airhawk+seat+cushion+motorcycle&crid=3HGVA5ADRRQ62&sprefix=airhawk%2Caps%2C221&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_3_7

• Like 1

I bought these for my '99 R1100RT,  installed them  but haven't had a chance to try them on the road yet.  They appear similar to what Lowndes has ordered.  I will say they look suspiciously like a much higher priced set from a high-end accessory company.  The fit and finish is very good and i can use my return spring.  One question, if you are looking to move your foot away from the shifter (rearward) would that also increase your knee angle?  Cheers from Eastern Canada!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004375699535.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.20.21ef1802BlfrSz

When I put a lower kit on my 02R1150RT it included a new adjustable toe for the shifter and parts to adjust the brake peddle.  It's nice to have the controls correct.  I did this 20 years ago so no help on getting the same kit.  Good luck. 

The only issue with doing it that way is that you don’t get any adjustment on the brake or shift lever ( it doesn’t look possible to alter the shifter with it in that housing anyway )

I installed the  German kit on the R1100S and at 6’ 3” the 50mm drop made all the difference !

The kit could  have included better ( Any ) instructions, the changes on the brake side weren’t that obvious ! 

On 1/17/2023 at 9:11 AM, Uncle Brad said:

I bought these for my '99 R1100RT,  installed them  but haven't had a chance to try them on the road yet.  They appear similar to what Lowndes has ordered.  I will say they look suspiciously like a much higher priced set from a high-end accessory company.  The fit and finish is very good and i can use my return spring.  One question, if you are looking to move your foot away from the shifter (rearward) would that also increase your knee angle?  Cheers from Eastern Canada!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004375699535.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.20.21ef1802BlfrSz

Were any adjustments necessary on the brake side to lower the pedal ?

Not at this point but i've only tried the fitment in the garage.  Perhaps once i'm out on the road i may notice an interference but i kind of doubt it.   The only issue i see at this time is the interference between my foot and the 'hoop' for the sidestand which seemed to be poorly placed even before i put the lowering mounts on.  I'm not sure if mine had been previously bent as the bike is new to me.  Maybe someone else on here can comment on the angle of the hoop from these pictures.  See also a photo of the brake side.  Cheers!

337103651_brakesideenhanced.thumb.jpg.b4388863e0cb35d159397041761abc20.jpg457797670_Measurementenhanced.thumb.jpg.8248d5b0a5ce8413c35b66acad7b411e.jpg1376303987_shifteradjenhanced.thumb.jpg.4806d291ffc58f348ee5ff4a480bd485.jpg

EDIT:

From this picture taken from the net, it appears as though my side stand has been 'modified' and the hoop is grossly bent.  Can someone confirm?  I can't imagine this happened accidentally but instead was done purposely by a previous owner.

https://www.totalmotorcycle.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/2001-BMW-R1100RTd.jpg?d=1&i=1

Edited by Uncle Brad
more info added
1 hour ago, Uncle Brad said:

Maybe someone else on here can comment on the angle of the hoop from these pictures.  See also a photo of the brake side.  Cheers!

EDIT:

From this picture taken from the net, it appears as though my side stand has been 'modified' and the hoop is grossly bent.  Can someone confirm?  I can't imagine this happened accidentally but instead was done purposely by a previous owner.

Uncle Brad,

My hoop was bent way out of shape, too ('99 RT).  I reworked it to what you see in my pic below (and more angles here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/SqukXyK3ud3y2CY38 )  

Hey, DeadEye;  Do you know about adjusting the shifter pedal height with the fillister head Allen screw (circled below)??

image.thumb.png.7ff178dc2aa64ddd262e499e25ebfec2.png

• Like 1

For those waiting with bated breath the Aliexpress package arrived yesterday with the footpeg lowering kit.  $35.99 plus $2.79 postage, ordered Jan 8.   https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256802170387408.html?spm=a2g0o.order_detail.order_detail_item.4.51daf19c7wItTg&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US 

They do not look bad at all.  The only thing I see lacking are the two M10 fillister head screws used in the "pivoy point" between the two halves of each side are just zinc plated steel while the other set screws are all SS.  They were also a 7mm Allen head which I don't have, 6 & 8 being much more common.  Not a problem, just swapped them out for SS screws with 8mm Allen heads.

More pics here:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/LW8cxNnm2FSeYo857  

image.thumb.png.62b0858f57f665516c374b5dc011757e.png

• Like 1

The threaded extensions I installed on my foot pegs as drag feelers for cornering. The way I drive I do not think I have to worry about that though. For a machined part you can't beat the price, and no sales tax. 

My handlebar risers also came from Alibaba. Another well machined inexpensive part. 

There is also a throttle lock but the minimum order is 10 pieces at 4.76 each. Anyone interested in a group buy? Raptorace fit for BMW K1200GT R1100GS R1100RT R1150GS R1150R R850R Aftermarket Throttle Lock Cruise Control Clamp Assist End Bar

Raptorace Fit For Bmw K1200gt R1100gs R1100rt R1150gs R1150r R850r Aftermarket Throttle Lock Cruise Control Clamp Assist End Bar - Buy Throttle Lock Cruise Control K1200gt R1100gs R1100rt R1150gs R1150r Rockster R1150rt R850r K1300gtr 1150r R1100r R1150r R1200rt Product on Alibaba.com

Edited by Uncle Mike
Added link removed picture
On 1/21/2023 at 9:39 AM, Lowndes said:

Uncle Brad,

My hoop was bent way out of shape, too ('99 RT).  I reworked it to what you see in my pic below (and more angles here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/SqukXyK3ud3y2CY38 )  

Hey, DeadEye;  Do you know about adjusting the shifter pedal height with the fillister head Allen screw (circled below)??

Ah, I didn’t know there was an adjustment.

Lowndes, Does-it allow for enough travel outside of the range you would need for dropped foot pegs ?

We have the same bike R1100S,  I needed to change the both the shifter and brake position quite a lot to keep them lined up with the lowered foot position.

The masking tape in the shots shows before /after positions.

This is turning into an lively topic; one could say, "Good forum" :rofl:

Seriously,  last spring I bought a set of lowerers on eBay;  they wouldn't fit. The holes for the pins were about a half a pin diameter off; sent them back; got a refund no problem.   Now, I am leaning towards the aforementioned Aliexppress option, however I do like the Knight Design lowered footrests, but they too are spendy at $240.  

Rabbit Trail Warring:  To be totally honest about the 1150RT, I'm not impressed.  I have had other cycles that are ergonomically more comfortable for me and I enjoy riding, so I’m not wanting to spend a bunch of money on it.  My top three that I have owned: 2000 K1200 LT, 2000 K1200 RS, 1997 Honda PC800.  Additionally, I test rode a 2008 Victory Vision at a demo day. I fell in love, and regret not buying on the spot; my wife even liked it.  

Back to topic:  the shift lever is adjustable.  I'm not sure if it can be done without removing the footrest carrier plate.  I did the adjustment last spring while the RT was being self-serviced and the footrest plate was removed.  The picture below gives reference.  Between the lower shift lever and transmission linkage is a vertical link with balls & sockets at top and bottom; this linkage is the adjuster. It is a threaded rod style with a locking jamb nut.  Each ball & socket have "Cir-Clip" retainers (Ref. B). These clips keep the ball in the sockets, the cir-clip are held in place by spring tension.  I lost one of these clips once, but fashioned one out of stainless wire using a couple small needle-nosed pliers; it took two attempts, but it's still in service.  

To adjust the shift linkage:

• loosen the jamb nut (Ref. A).
  • release the exposed portion of the  cir-clip (Ref. B) by rotating rounded portion away from the socket base, then pull it out  from the retaining hole.
  • separate the ball & socket.  
  • rotate the linage clockwise to shorten or counter-clockwise to lengthen the linkage.  Tech specs have a minimum safe number of threads that need to be together, but I do not recall what that is; my guess would be three or four full 360-deg rotations.  
  • I highly recommend cleaning the ball & socket  and apply a light coat of water-proof grease.  I do this as part of seasonal preventative maintenance (PM), just like the PM of the side-stand. 
  • when desired adjustment is obtained, reassemble the ball & socket.
  • install the cir-clip and ensure it is snapped around the linage.
  • tighten the jamb nut against the adjustment linkage; snug nut with a wrench (spanner), (Don't over tighten you barbarian).

Remember, you can search for other threads on the site that also describe this;  as a matter of fact I copied this picture form another user. 

Hope this helps. 

• Like 1
On 1/21/2023 at 10:39 AM, Lowndes said:

Uncle Brad,

Those pics are excellent and yes, i'm gonna have to spend a little time coaxing it back into place.  Many thanks!

1 hour ago, BigtowH8 said:

I'm not sure if it can be done without removing the footrest carrier plate.

I adjusted mine without removing the carrier plate.

• Plus 1 1
7 minutes ago, DeadEye said:

Does-it allow for enough travel outside of the range you would need for dropped foot pegs ?

DeadEye,

The pics above are of my '99 RT foot peg and shifter.  Neither the RT or the '99 R1100S have lowered foot pegs (yet!!).  My K bike does have the lowered foot pegs (which helps make it VERY comfortable to ride).

I kinda doubt that "Adjustment Screw" on the RT would provide enough adjustment for a foot peg lowering kit.  It's more of a comfort adjustment for the OEM peg.

The K bike came with a "Wudo" (??) kit that must have had the shifter adjustment hardware with the kit.  It shouldn't be much trouble to fab something similar for the RT or S to lower the shifter pedal.  Might have to cut off the rubber covered portion of the pedal then drill and tap into the shaft, something like K bike has.

image.thumb.png.06aa167908f63f2381797b5947ce3c6c.png

4 hours ago, Uncle Brad said:

...i'm gonna have to spend a little time coaxing it back into place.  Many thanks!

Just whack it with a 20oz framing hammer.  Mine was surprisingly cooperative.  2 minute job, tops.

• Like 1

I have decided to order a couple budget footrest lowering brackets for comparison.  I will report back on findings. 

Please stand by....

• Like 1

Buyer Beware, as they say.  These cheapo "Bargain Foot peg lowering kit(s)" may not fit just exactly.  

If you have a grinder/sander/saw/file and aren't afraid to do some "fitment" work, you may be good to go.  Yours might fit exactly as you planned out of the box.  Mine didn't.  The listing said they fit my K bike, make, year, and model.  Not quite as it worked out but there is a happy ending.

The "lowering kit" itself fit just fine on the bike.  The issue was getting the OEM foot pegs to fit the "kit".  The problem was the... well, see the pics below:

This is how close they didn't fit:

image.thumb.png.6b5430d0244400f596d69391ae9ca587.png

This is the OEM foot peg hinge and hole.  The scribed line is where I figured it needed to be cut on the band saw, plus a little for comfort sake (it's easier to remove metal than to ADD metal, for me anyway).

image.thumb.png.bb0a6587612f8e26ea6cbdc0a97d3663.png

This is the foot peg after sawing, sanding, and filing to fit just so:

image.thumb.png.3d5ab019dcee2631a3f36f53ae4089d6.png image.thumb.png.48a291f7a158f139b3f82165efcaeb63.png

The plus side of all this is I was able to limit the travel of the foot peg swing to about 45° which provides some protection for the precious side panels (and any legs left under it) in a tipover.  Together with the sliders fore and aft, topgallants to keelson, port and starbord, should mitigate the heartbrake in future misadventures.

All the pics here:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/LW8cxNnm2FSeYo857

After all this I found a set of NEW OEM footpegs on eBay for $15.  For "just in case".

There is still the issue of the brake and shifter pedal heights.  I never use the rear brakes anyway so that side is OK.  There is a turnbuckle adjuster on the shifter and I have big feet so maybe that will be OK.

Here's hoping yours fit perfectly right outa the box.

• Plus 1 1