IGNORED

Coming back to the RT

Limecreek

Ordered a 2023RT yesterday and have now come full circle.  The last RT I owned was a 2005 model - a bike that I enjoyed very much.  

Now the waiting begins. It will be 3-6 months before delivery - plenty of time to collect accessories. 

I still have that Stich. 

Hill Country Recon 053.jpg

• Like 5
8 minutes ago, fourteenfour said:

anything different on 2023 models?

US models can only be ordered with the premium package. They dropped a white paint color and added a black color. Oh, and it’s more like expensive.  Looks like Brembo brakes vs Hayes but that may be a carryover from ‘22. 

1 hour ago, Limecreek said:

US models can only be ordered with the premium package. They dropped a white paint color and added a black color. Oh, and it’s more like expensive.  Looks like Brembo brakes vs Hayes but that may be a carryover from ‘22. 

They dropped Mineral White Metallic and added Option 719 Meteoric Dust 2 Metallic, Alpine White remains   See for all bikes https://www.roadracingworld.com/news/bmw-motorrad-usa-announces-updates-changes-to-2023-motorcycles/

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Canceled the 2023 order and found a 2022 from a private seller with only 390 miles on it. 

The RS goes up for sale next week.  

I felt right at home on the bike on the trip back from East Texas  B859A9B8-3DAF-4B18-A2EC-D88DFF5693E7.thumb.jpeg.b0de7a1c175bcc19516a5e5f8cf47508.jpegDDFCFB25-ADB2-4851-AD70-7832713514EC.thumb.jpeg.f2117e5250b9cd51bf579281660ad0b8.jpegFD47AC36-1742-4ACF-8F8A-AFE4A45457C1.thumb.jpeg.da6e01426862a53712fec1d5eda0a917.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Plus 1 3

Congrats....but you must think it is a BSA or Norton with those oil mats underneath them.:19:  Any Limecreek tech days in the future?

• 4 weeks later...
Yeeha Stephen

Kept my RS as the backup bike. :revit:

I wanted a white RT but there are 5 riding buddies up here that already have them. Didn't want to be a Twinkie!

SS

• Smile 2

The RS was a lot of fun but I’m glad to be back on a full touring machine. 

The gentleman that bought the RS was 78YO and had three other bikes at home and a Goose on order.  There is hope. 😎

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
  • 1 month later...

I have a RT on order which is scheduled to be in production within a few days. I went with the 719 colour, Meteoric Metallic, and pretty much a full slate of options less the audio system which I have no use for. I did not add any of the other 719 bits either. I will be getting the top box to match.

I expect to take possession of it in the new year and am already planning for a few accessories I know I want to add. Nothing ordered yet, but will be looking seriously post Christmas to get ordering so I have it all once the bike is ready for me to bring home. The list of things I will add for certain are:

Machine Art Moto cylinder head protectors and fender extension (I'm not a fan of the various crash bars visually on the RTs)

SW Motech tank bag attaching ring (I'm thinking I'll use the small bag I have for my GSA for both bikes)

Power outlet for my heated jacket and battery charger - directly connected to the battery

There are a few things I'm still working out. I have Cee Bailey's side case liner bags for my current 08 K1200GT and would like a set for the RT. I'm not sure if these will work suitably in the RTs cases as they appear to be shaped a bit differently. I will have to try them for fit and decide unless anyone else has any experience with this. I am thinking some sort of headlight protector is in order as the adaptive headlight is several thousand dollars to replace, any brand recommendations welcomed. I would also like to get paint protection film applied at least to the most vulnerable areas if not all over. I'll check with some local shops to see what can be done unless there are some pre-cut kits anyone can recommend. Other items, such as seat windshield and other ergonomics will be on an as needed basis once I have some time with the bike to see what feels right or wrong.

Almost all of the companies that make these accessories have been doing so from the WetHead series thru the initial ShiftHead bikes and on to the latest builds.

Unfortunately, this bike in the video was rear-ended (totaled) over a year ago and I was not able to follow up with all 6 parts that I had intended, but have experience with all the items I introduce in this Overview Video.

Hope this gives you a starting point for your quest to customize your new bike to your liking.

Brad

https://youtu.be/W558WWFcIPE

Screen%20Shot%202022-10-22%20at%201.47.4

I have a set of Cee Bailey bags in my 2014RT.  They were originally ordered for my 2005 RT when it was new.  I have the two side bags and top bag.  They fit just fine.  If you want me to send you a picture of them installed let me know.

1 hour ago, Boxflyer said:

Almost all of the companies that make these accessories have been doing so from the WetHead series thru the initial ShiftHead bikes and on to the latest builds.

Unfortunately, this bike in the video was rear-ended (totaled) over a year ago and I was not able to follow up with all 6 parts that I had intended, but have experience with all the items I introduce in this Overview Video.

Hope this gives you a starting point for your quest to customize your new bike to your liking.

Brad

https://youtu.be/W558WWFcIPE

Screen%20Shot%202022-10-22%20at%201.47.4

Thanks for this, I'll check it out. I've been viewing some of your other videos and such to get some heads up on the new RT. I plan to do as much if not all maintenance on it as I have my other bikes, so good tech info is valuable with the lack of manuals now. I was lucky to have bought the factory repair DVD for my F850GSA before they became unavailable. I keep hoping for some form of manual to come out for the RT, but I think that might be a faint hope.

1 hour ago, Skywagon said:

I have a set of Cee Bailey bags in my 2014RT.  They were originally ordered for my 2005 RT when it was new.  I have the two side bags and top bag.  They fit just fine.  If you want me to send you a picture of them installed let me know.

I figured they might stuff in OK as they are not too rigidly made so will reshape a bit to fit. 

3 hours ago, EdM said:

I figured they might stuff in OK as they are not too rigidly made so will reshape a bit to fit. 

I had some old one’s from my ‘04 and used them up through my ‘17. Not perfect but worked fine. Bought new for my ‘22. 

I have the R&G headlight protector from Twisted Throttle. I think the product is a little better than the more common  Aeroflow 

I did the DLR seats and the clearwater lights under the mirror.  Billie JR on the rear lights.  That is all and very happy with the outcome. 

• Like 1
On 10/23/2022 at 4:54 PM, TracerBullet said:

I have the R&G headlight protector from Twisted Throttle. I think the product is a little better than the more common  Aeroflow 

I agree and they are $50 less expensive if you order direct from R&G vs. TT.

• Like 1
On 10/22/2022 at 12:12 PM, EdM said:

I have a RT on order which is scheduled to be in production within a few days. I went with the 719 colour, Meteoric Metallic, and pretty much a full slate of options less the audio system which I have no use for. I did not add any of the other 719 bits either. I will be getting the top box to match.

I expect to take possession of it in the new year and am already planning for a few accessories I know I want to add. Nothing ordered yet, but will be looking seriously post Christmas to get ordering so I have it all once the bike is ready for me to bring home. The list of things I will add for certain are:

Machine Art Moto cylinder head protectors and fender extension (I'm not a fan of the various crash bars visually on the RTs)

SW Motech tank bag attaching ring (I'm thinking I'll use the small bag I have for my GSA for both bikes)

Power outlet for my heated jacket and battery charger - directly connected to the battery

There are a few things I'm still working out. I have Cee Bailey's side case liner bags for my current 08 K1200GT and would like a set for the RT. I'm not sure if these will work suitably in the RTs cases as they appear to be shaped a bit differently. I will have to try them for fit and decide unless anyone else has any experience with this. I am thinking some sort of headlight protector is in order as the adaptive headlight is several thousand dollars to replace, any brand recommendations welcomed. I would also like to get paint protection film applied at least to the most vulnerable areas if not all over. I'll check with some local shops to see what can be done unless there are some pre-cut kits anyone can recommend. Other items, such as seat windshield and other ergonomics will be on an as needed basis once I have some time with the bike to see what feels right or wrong.

I purchased my top box, BMW bag liners, and R&G headlight protector from distributors in Europe.  I saved about $500 vs. purchasing from US based BMW dealers.  And that was after accounting for shipping.   The exchange rate is the best it's been in years. 

3 hours ago, Limecreek said:

I purchased my top box, BMW bag liners, and R&G headlight protector from distributors in Europe.  I saved about $500 vs. purchasing from US based BMW dealers.  And that was after accounting for shipping.   The exchange rate is the best it's been in years. 

If your using USD, not so much for us Canadians. I will look at those options just the same to see if there are any savings. Bonus is I can order stuff early and wait out longer shipping times.

3 hours ago, EdM said:

If your using USD, not so much for us Canadians. I will look at those options just the same to see if there are any savings. Bonus is I can order stuff early and wait out longer shipping times.

USD it is. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I went to a 2020 1250RS in ‘20 off of a ‘15 1200RT. In April of ‘22 I had a severe crash which destroyed the RS and nearly me (texting driver). I enjoyed the RS because it was SLIGHTLY lighter, thinner and a touch easier in traffic. However, it was cramped, windy, hard on my wrists, and frankly felt less nimble. Pegs and a windscreen helped but I started missing the the RT for a number reasons besides those. After deciding to ride again, I’m taking delivery of a ‘23 RT tomorrow as I write this. Maybe I’m biased but I found the shift cam engine to be significantly better than the 1200 and am VERY excited to ride it in the RT guise.Additionally, I think that auto shifting (forget what it’s called) feature was way better on the 1250. 

• Like 4

I was in at the dealer today to get an update on my RT and it had just arrived yesterday. It's still stacked among a bunch of other crated bikes but will be getting unpacked soon. Once it's out of the crate I'll finally get a look at the meteorite metallic paint colour.

• Like 1

Headlight protection makes good sense. Cee Bailey no longer makes them. Lamin X was a fine substitute. Have Denali 4 lights on front, can be seen 400 plus yards away. Admore tail lights are great for additional rear lighting. At 74, My reflexes are not as sharp so being seen is an absolute must for me. Save travels.

2 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Hate to spoil your surprise but you sent me looking. :classic_biggrin: If this is it, it’s nice, even with the silver wheels! ;)

image.thumb.jpeg.982aa250503e936c86c429e4a0f019dc.jpeg

No worries, I appreciate the spoiler. That is pretty much exactly what mine should look like. I expect the colour will look even better in sunlight.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, TEWKS said:

If this is it, it’s nice, even with the silver wheels

Now Pat...take that back.  You going to hurt my feelings.....not.  The day I picked up my bike....with silver wheels.

r1200RT.jpg

• Haha 1

Out of the crate and ready. Top box is still on order and the dealer is looking after a full paint protection installation. I'll be anxiously waiting for spring now.

PXL_20230127_184358619-2.jpg

• Like 5