IGNORED

Most Poblem Free BMW

TEWKS

This GS has burnt through exactly one low beam headlight and had its battery replaced under warranty. That’s it in the ten years I’ve owned it. And, that’s all I’ve got to say about that. :)
image.thumb.jpeg.1b0c86cc8031579693082e7c6fa7278a.jpeg

• Smile 1
8 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

This GS has burnt through exactly one low beam headlight and had its battery replaced under warranty. That’s it in the ten years I’ve owned it. And, that’s all I’ve got to say about that. :)

Mileage?

• Haha 1

Just about 24K. :classic_blush: But if you add in the other non essential vehicle mileage it’d be about 50k. :dontknow: 

37 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Garage queen? 🤔

Oops, nevermind.  That would be MY bike.  🤣🤣🤣

Looks like you got the pick of the litter.  That's still a great looking bike, even if it's a decade old.  If I were you, I'd stay away from BMW Dealer new-bike showrooms, and NEVER sell that bike. 😁

• Like 2
56 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Just about 24K. :classic_blush: But if you add in the other non essential vehicle mileage it’d be about 50k. :dontknow: 

Soooo, I'd expect a bike ridden 'bout 2400 miles a year to kinda be problem free,.......bet she's purty too:18:  I know you be multi-bike owner so racking up miles/use on a single bike proves rough.

My goal, since I surpassed the 100k on the '06RT, is to hit 200k,........it's gonna take a while to do that since the mileage is being shared with the GSA.

• Like 1

@BamaJohn 

Hey John, want to play the “ I spy” game? :classic_biggrin:

PS…if anybody else wants to show and tell their problem free BMW, have at it! :thumbsup: 

Don't get me started talking about my airhead.I think it coined the phrase bullet proof. I'm really thinking about riding it to Fart if I can make it.

B88FD17D-44AF-43A6-B9D8-758FA3D16B0C.jpeg

• Like 4
4 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

What???    And jinks myself?   No thanks!

@TEWKS

LOL!  I was thinkin' the same thing.  Pat's going to ruin us all, as soon as we start bragging about our magic BMW's.  😡😁😎

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Nice Black/White photo....I see you've installed the adventure foot pegs....good stuff old Bean!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

My ‘15 RT has 117000 almost trouble free miles on it.  I replaced fork seals at around 90K and a $35 final drive seal at 79K.  Not worried about jinxing anything since it has recently moved out of my garage.😊

• Like 2

My 1979 R100RT was bulletproof. I replaced one carb float that took 5 minutes and one relay. 

creature comforts - none

technology - none

brakes - almost non existent

fun - outstanding 

dependable - 100%

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

My 1971 R75/5 was very reliable. Put about 160K on it. A few glitches, some due to poor engineering like the throttle chain mechanism and ridiculous Bing vacuum carbs and some glitches from the nut behind the wheel but all in all, bulletproof. And it was a sweet running motor. 

• Like 1
lawnchairboy
52 minutes ago, MichiganBob said:

My R75/5 was added to the permanent collection at the Gilmore Car Museum. Check it out if you're ever out there. It's an absolutely wonderful collection with special exhibits all the time. https://gilmorecarmuseum.org/

cool

My 2000 R1100RT has been bulletproof for 38K miles. Nothing other than a brake line that went poof around 40mph a year or so ago and got replaced with SS lines.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/1/2022 at 9:34 AM, MichiganBob said:

My R75/5 was added to the permanent collection at the Gilmore Car Museum. Check it out if you're ever out there. It's an absolutely wonderful collection with special exhibits all the time. https://gilmorecarmuseum.org/

Impressive.

I wonder if you get free admission to go visit it. 

While I love Airheads dearly, and have owned over 12 of them, I can’t call them bulletproof.   Any pre-1981 airhead has cast iron lined jugs that require boring every 60 K.   My ‘79 R100T has had 2 top end overhauls in her 125K life.   Owned her since new.   You’d better check / adjust the tappets every 3K or your exhaust valves will be TIGHT!   The Bing carb diaphragms are prone to failure, and the bowl floats soak up ethanol.   Best to carry a spare of each.   
But having said all that, I will say that an airhead in good condition is probably the BMW that I would attempt a trip around the world on.   Dirt simple to keep in tune.  I’d take a saddle bag full of parts with me though!   

EC8492EF-FC73-48FB-8329-2E711AB1E600.jpeg

• Like 2

My Oilhead RT was not problem free....but never had to be towed to a shop or back home. 

My Wethead RT with about 55K has had the horrible distinction of having a bad rear tire pressure sensor. NOTHING else beyond what I call regular maintenance. Restored my faith in BMW. 

• Like 1