IGNORED

Could this cure rusted splines issue?

wbw6cos

4 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Oh No, they’ve replaced Brad

Well not quite Pat....this guy is talking about it and Brad does it.  I suspect by Friday Brad will have made the tool required to do the work.  Dude is amazing.

• Like 3
  • Plus 1 1

Could this cure rusted splines issue?

Morning  wbw6cos

It won't cure existing rusted spline issues but might prevent future spline corrosion. It probably depends on what else that "service notification" includes. 

Just adding a bottom drain vent will only allow future water that enters to (hopefully) drain out. It won't do anything for existing corrosion or the lack of spline lube from the factory.

We will have to wait to see what is included in that BMW service advisory, if JUST a hole & vent added then that won't help the already corroded spline bikes. 

If that BMW service advisory includes taking it apart, then cleaning and properly re-greasing the splines, then properly re-sealing the boot, it could very well improve the spline integrity & longevity. 

We are just going to have to wait to see what is included with that BMW service advisory.

The good news is, with this new service advisory it looks like BMW has admitted they have a spline issue so those with existing problems should have a good case to get BMW to repair even if out of warranty spline issues.  

Added: I did little checking (some of my contacts) & can't find anything on this in the U.S., I also can't confirm that it is for any other model than the GS/GS-A.  I imagine it will shake out as things progress so hopefully we shouldn't be in the dark for long. 

I just hope the vent/drain or whatever it is going to be sits flush or just below flush with the inside surface of the swing arm housing so ALL the water that gets in can drain out. Even then, if the swing arm doesn't get to level & stay there for while it will probably still trap water in the rear spline area. (personally I would rather see them design & implement a good working one way vent valve (wicker-bill)  in the bottom of the rear boot.  

• Thanks 2

For reference, my 2022 GS with a build date of Dec 2, 2021 came from the factory with the new duck billed valve.  It's the flathead screwdriver tip shaped thing on right in the attached pic.  View in the pic is towards the back of the bike from underneath.  I'm guessing the retrofit version will be in same location and same type.  In theory it should let standing water drain out.

IMG_1736.jpg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Skywagon said:

BMW should step up and do this for all its shaft bikes with this design

If the factory had followed BMW's own advice and lubed the splines, there would have been much less of a problem. 

image.png.25d6e9f29d5ab53936682052ee23dd59.png

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1