IGNORED

tire noise 05 1200rt

bmwdavid

I seem to hear lots of noise between 40 and 50 miles an hour. seems like the rear tire. Tires are stock dunlop d220. Sound goes away below 40 and above 50. Sounds like a loud humming, even when clutch is pulled in and bike is rolling freely. Are the dunlops just that loud or could it be something else?

bobmeroney

Ever Dunlop I have ever had (Honda, Harley, now BMW) sang to me at some point. I got them on my 05 rt as well and can't wait to wear them out. There are some excellent threads on other's experience for wear and handling for all the brands.

I've been bugged by the loud tyre noise on my RT since I bought it 2 months ago. I've got Bridgestone Battleaxes fitted. If you tap the rear it sounds like a drum so no surprise there's a loud humming/vibration in certain conditions. I thought it was mechanical at first. I believe the Conti Road Attacks may be quiter and look forward to changing.

Dave

Just put road attacks on RT, they are quiet and smooth, really like them, the pilot roads i had were real noisey

I had D220 on my ST 1300 Honda and they were extremely noisy. Replaced them with Z6 Metzelers. The bike was transformed. Directional stability, comfort improved a lot. Bought a 06 RT and it came with D220 !Now at 2 000 km the tires as bad as on my ST. Already bought Z6 to replace this junk.

Why does it seem to only make so much noise between 40 and 50 and then go away above 50? Also goes away when dropped below 40. I hope there is nothing wrong with the bike. Once you hear something you seem to pay attention to it and it makes you crazy.

Just a WAG, the noise is caused by the tyre tread hitting the road. Perhaps at certain speeds this shock resonates with the cavity inside the tyre and sounds louder?

I will echo (no pun intended) what Tcreek said about Dunlops and Continentals. The Dunlops were very noisy and wore out quickly (7,500 miles, mostly unaggressive), but at least they gave good grip. The Continental Road Attacks are wonderful. No noise as of 3,500 miles, and we'll see about tire life.

Paul in CA

'05 R1200RT

'98 XR400R

Other vintage

My perception is that the front tire makes more noise. It makes sense to me that the more you see tire cupping, the more it will generate noise in a turn. The front will cup more due to it having only braking forces applied to it. There are likely other good reasons as well, such as tire size and weight distribution.

Paul in CA

'05 R1200RT

'98 XR400R

Other vintage

I have the same noise that is driving me crazy on my 06 R12RT (dunlop 220 tires also). I thought for sure it was coming from the rear drive or rear wheel bearing because it sounds exactly like the 'roar' of a toasted bearing. It starts at exactly 45mph (75km/h) and stops at 55mph (90km/h). I have set cruise at 80kmh and the roar is persistant with a slight up/down note/resonance. There is no noticable noise from the front tire at any speed. Are you guys sure it is the rear tire and not the drive or rear wheel bearing??

I have my doubts that it is tire noise. It sounds like it could be a bearing or drivetrane problem. Wish I could afford to change the rear tire to find out.

I have my doubts that it is tire noise. It sounds like it could be a bearing or drivetrane problem. Wish I could afford to change the rear tire to find out.

On my R1150RT, my dealer stripped and rebuilt the tranny looking for what seemed to be a driveline bearing going south. It turned out to be the Avon Azaros I had fitted. Luckily BMW paid the bill as the dealer fitted all new bearings as a precaution. dopeslap.gif

Andy

Archived