IGNORED

Redline Shockproof Heavy in a 1150 RT

BucksTherapy

BucksTherapy

I have read a number of posts depicting the dramatic improvement in tranny performance with this oil. I have also seen speculation that the 1150 might have less dramatic results given its tranny is a little more refined.

I can't comment on the level of sophistication in either tranny but I put this oil in last night and went for a 6 hour run today. Unbelievable, so quiet, smoother shifing and less difference from cold to hot.

I can't speak top its effects over the long haul but am very impressed with the increased performcne over traditional synthetic.

Started using shock proof heavy in my RT-P awhile back on the recomendations of others on this board. I won't say the improvement in shifting has been dramatic, but it does seem to shift smoother with the Redline. I'm sold on it and have started using it in my LT as well.

90RedRider

Where are you finding this Redline oil, I have not seen it at the typical places I get my oils- NAPA , Advance auto , etc. Thanks for the info. Sid

steveknapp

On my '02 RT it wasn't dramatic, but it was better.

Mail order was the only place I could find it.

BucksTherapy

Perhaps I let enthusiasm get the better of me. Not dramatic but a nticeable improvement in noise level and smoothness when shifting.

I ordered it online as well.

Cheers.

Use 75W-140 synthetic EP GL5 gear oil (available at auto parts stores)in both gearbox and final drive. Add 10% moly additive. You'll be amazed at how well a BMW can shift. Also moly will quiet gears plus this additive can lengthen the life of drive lines while reducing friction dramatically. Also, heat is reduced due to friction reduction. This equals more power to the rear wheel.

I just changed the FD which had redline shockproof heavy in for 9000 miles. There was no particles on the magnet on the drain plug. Previously it had factory oil from new till 12000 miles and had a fine paste all over which I expected being a new bike. I was surprised not to see anything on the drain magnet this time. Maybe this is normal with any oil. Just more data.

Archived