IGNORED

A Bicycle Pump on a Motorcycle?

doc47

For years I've carried a couple of Mini Versair bicycle pumps clipped to the handlebars of my GS and GS/Dakar. They are made by an outfit called Planet Bike, and are small, light, and pump air on both the push and pull-strokes, making them twice as efficient. Finally, in the African climate, they broke. I wrote to Planet Bike just to thank them and tell them what a good product they had and to order two more pumps. Instead of taking my order they shipped me two new pumps for free. THAT is ethics and service. I was blown away.
Now, I know motorcyclists, especially in the US, like the latest in gimmicks and love electric tire inflators, but give these a chance if you need something to carry on trips. Granted, it takes more work if you have to pump up a tire from scratch, but there is a lot to be said for reliability and simplicity.
Kudos to Planet Bike. They deserve our support. They certainly have mine.

20220712_221451.jpg

• Like 3
  • Plus 1 2
  • 9 months later...
Shelterwoods

Nice to hear of your experience, and I'm impressed that you are passing it on.

I too use a bicycle pump; that and my dynaplug tool have saved me a few times. I like the simplicity.

Del

• 1 month later...

Good for them for such great customer care, and to you for spreading the word.  I had a flat on my RT a couple of days ago. I carry Nealey plugs and an old Harbor Freight 12 volt air pump that I stripped out of the housing and stuck into a little plastic food container. That pump took the rear tire from 0 to 42 psi in about five minutes or a little more. I cut the cigarette lighter connector off and soldered an SAE connector onto the end of the long electrical lead.. For the guys who carry any kind of pump, manual or electrical, test them every so often. It would really stink if you are all prepared and then the pump doesn’t work when you pull it out.

• Like 1

Michael R, very good advice. I carried a plug-in mini-compressor that was terrific....until it wasn't. A manual bicycle pump is more work but it will rarely fail ya!

7 hours ago, doc47 said:

I carried a plug-in mini-compressor that was terrific....until it wasn't. A manual bicycle pump is more work but it will rarely fail ya!

Belt and suspenders :19:  I still carry a few CO2 cannisters, that will get my tire up to about 20 psi should the electric pump fail.  That's enough to ride to a gas station with a pump.

• 2 months later...
On 6/18/2023 at 1:55 PM, doc47 said:

Michael R, very good advice. I carried a plug-in mini-compressor that was terrific....until it wasn't. A manual bicycle pump is more work but it will rarely fail ya!

Michael:  The bicycle pump in the OP's article was replaced for free, but it did fail.  

I've used an electric pump, similar to Michael Stock's setup, for years.  Still working great.  I added an on-off switch on a coil-cord that I pirated from an Aerostitch heated vest I don't use anymore.   Since the bike has plenty of electricity, electric pumps just make sense if you ask me.  Patching tires on the road in the heat is plenty of work, thanks.  I don't need the extra effort of trying to fill a tire with a manual pump.   Also, if the patch leaks, you're doing it again, and maybe again again.  

I always have a charge-cord hanging from the battery connections anyway.   This is used to keep the battery charged in the off-season.  It also get re-routed to underseat area for electrically heated clothing in cold weather.   We have the energy there. We pay to carry it around with us, why not use it when we flatten a tire?