IGNORED

Cruise Control

HYoungblood

HYoungblood

Anyone having problems with their cruise control on their 1200RT. Sometimes mine will not engage the red light will flicker then will go out. Then it won’t work at all unless I shut the bike down for a while. Also when mine is working if I turn on the high beam it will shut down the cruse. confused.gif

Never had a problem with it. Don't know if I have had it on with hibeam though. Take it to the dealer and they reprogram it for you.

No problem with mine so far but I don't believe I've tried the Hi/Low beam switch with it on but I'll try next time out, just for grins.

AD

Haven't played with mine a whole lot but noticed if the brake lever was adjusted to be closest to the grip (1?), the cruise control would occasionally cancel as if I'd touched the brake.

Anyone having problems with their cruise control on their 1200RT. Sometimes mine will not engage the red light will flicker then will go out. Then it won’t work at all unless I shut the bike down for a while. Also when mine is working if I turn on the high beam it will shut down the cruse. confused.gif
I run my high beam all the time and have used the cruise with no problems. Looks like a trip to the dealer for you wink.gif

Sounds like you might have a ground problem. Cruise is using the high beam circut for a ground and when you turn high beam on the ground goes away. Seen this problem in lights before. Find out where all the grounds are and check them.

No problems with mine and it works great but I miss the ol' "Flip-a-Lever" on the K75.....

Phil.........Redbrick

HYoungblood

Contacted my dealer today. He seams to think there may be a problem with the cruise control switch. So we made an appointment for next Friday. Hope to have good news later.

I had a problem with the cruise control on my 05 RT when new. Turned out that there was excess tension on the wire connecter block under the rear seat causing an intermittant fault. Loosened the tension on the wires and pushed them into the block firmly, have had no further problem in 12,000 miles clap.gif

Sounds like you might have a ground problem. Cruise is using the high beam circut for a ground and when you turn high beam on the ground goes away. Seen this problem in lights before. Find out where all the grounds are and check them.

Is that true? Cruise uses the hi beam circuit for the ground? Methinks that would be a good thing to know!

Thanks.

AD

No the cruise does not use the high beam for a ground. However if the cruise has lost its ground it will look for a ground. That's why you need to make sure the cruise circut has a good ground. The most common cause of electrical problems is a fautly ground.

My cruise wouldn't stay on after 2 days of heavy rain riding. Acted like a loose switch and may have been due to the silt like film the road water had left all ove the bike. When I got home I put a good shot of WD-40 (Water Displacement formula # 40) into the left switch housing on either side of the set/res switch (catch the outflow on a rag). All returned to normal. thumbsup.gif YMMV.

Regards,

Carl

HYoungblood

Took the bike to the dealer on Friday and they replaced the cruise control switch. After a weekend of riding (and in a heavy rain)the cruse is working fine. clap.gif

My R12RT's cruise control went away this weekend. First wouldn't stay set then didn't light up the "Set" at all. Still have a red light on the handlebar switch.

Time for a trip to my dealer (who's really first class) to see what part died. I'll update the list when it's figured out.

Everything else (knock wood) is working fine with 1k miles so not a big deal. Really do love this bike.

-- Larry

Mine did Exactly the same thing at the start of a 3500 mile trip. It is at the dealer now. Let us know what is done to yours and we can all compare notes. I don't like the thought of my cruise going out if it gets wet in a heavy rain.

My R12RT's cruise control went away this weekend. First wouldn't stay set then didn't light up the "Set" at all. Still have a red light on the handlebar switch.

An update on my inoperative cruise control -- stayed dead until the mile-long trip from work to the dealer. Tested it again on the way and it worked fine. Still working fine. No significant weather change. We'll see how it lasts.

My cruise started doing the same thing this morning.

Engae cruise, turn high beams on or off, cruise dissengages, adjust windshield height, cruise dissengages.

Gotta be the switch, will make a appointment for the brake recall and have the cruise checked at the same time.

Just finished a trip to Maine and back from Pittsburgh which included extensive use of the cruise (and some extensive rain too) crazy.gif. Mine worked great and was a godsend for the right hand/wrist. I did notice that on around 3 occasions the cruise did a quick off/on then returned to normal. It felt like his little electronic hand needed a break for a second or two. grin.gif

I just got the DX on my cruise control failure from BMW of Daytona. The cruise switch at the handlebar. It was difficult to find due to the lack of an error code on the computer check. I hope to have it done by this weekend.

Archived