IGNORED

Inaccurate Dashboard Thermometer Reading

Bob_1978

The dashboard thermometer on my 2013 RT reads 3-5 degrees above the "true" ambient air temp.  Is there any way to adjust or calibrate the sensor?

Is this happening when you're sitting idle in traffic or moving along at highway speeds?

Sitting still for long times or crawling in hot traffic will pickup the heat off the right cylinder. 

8 hours ago, Bob_1978 said:

The dashboard thermometer on my 2013 RT reads 3-5 degrees above the "true" ambient air temp.  Is there any way to adjust or calibrate the sensor?

Morning  Bob_1978

No way to calibrate that I know of, as 6speedTi said it can read incorrectly at low speeds or sitting still with engine heat adding to the inaccuracy.

It can also read incorrectly if the right hand side panel is getting hit with direct sunlight therefore heating the panel.

As a test, park the cold motorcycle in the shade then place a known accurate thermometer about knee high near the R/H side of the motorcycle. (your dash should read pretty close to the thermometer reading). 

If your riding-down-the-road dash ambient temperature seems off then you might make sure the temp sensor is properly mounted correctly (is not loose & hanging down near engine heat). 

Also keep in mind that the road surface is usually way higher than the ambient temperature (especially higher with heavy traffic) so your dash ambient reading might be reflecting that added road heat.