IGNORED

Europe tour

My wife and I are considering a motorcycle tour in Europe, a classic Alps type tour.  I am asking for tips, suggestions and recommendations.  I definitely want to do it on a BMW, preferably an RT.  And would like it to be about 7 days. 

My wife and did an Edelweiss tour, and I can't say enough how well it went, how well they take care of you, how I can't wait to do another. They have many bikes to choose from, I chose the RT, first time I'd ever ridden a BMW, it was a sweetheart.

• Like 1
MachineJoe

I had done Edelweiss, the alps tour in 2004. Like Hosstage I chose the RT and would highly suggest signing up with them. You'll hit all the sweet roads and places to eat.

2 weeks after getting back home I was on my first RT as my permanent ride.

Copy of DSC01066.JPG

DSC00865.JPG

• Like 4

Definitely go for an Edelweiss tour.   For the Alps, you won't find a better more organized company.   Their tour guides have always been the best, and their prices are competitive.   

• Like 3

Thanks for the advice.  Edelweiss is likely the company we will use.  Looking at the High Alpine Tour.  Has a 4 out of 5 difficulty level.  I’m a good rider.  I own a 1996 RT and a 2007 R1200S.  Wife has some experience as a passenger.  Am a little concerned about the difficulty level.   

1 hour ago, Beagler said:

Am a little concerned about the difficulty level.   

You’ll have no problem at all. If you were to say, I’m a one or two year rider with no passenger/pillion experience I might say something different. How boring a trip would it be without any trepidation? :4315:

MachineJoe

I was only a 2 year experienced rider when I took my trip in 2004 and did fine with it. If you have the opportunity to do it ..... GOOOOOOOO! 

:18:

You'll be talking about it for the next 20 years

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, MachineJoe said:

You'll be talking about it for the next 20 years

Even after 28 years, it is still talked about! :thumbsup:

• Like 2
1 hour ago, TEWKS said:

Even after 28 years, it is still talked about! :thumbsup:

Mine's only been 6 years and I can't stop talking about it.

5 hours ago, Beagler said:

Thanks for the advice.  Edelweiss is likely the company we will use.  Looking at the High Alpine Tour.  Has a 4 out of 5 difficulty level.  I’m a good rider.  I own a 1996 RT and a 2007 R1200S.  Wife has some experience as a passenger.  Am a little concerned about the difficulty level.   

Luckily, you are familiar with the bike you will be riding, that will help. I had never even sat on an RT before I rode it thru the Alps with my wife on the back. I could only touch tiptoes after riding lowered Harleys for 30 years and being able to flatfoot. A bit of a learning curve!

The roads are challenging, no doubt. You will ride thru some incredibly tight switchbacks, blind turns on the edge of mountains, and see some of the most beautiful landscapes in the world. Once you get thru the first day you'll be much more comfortable.

No road here will ever scare you after your ride there.

I'm jealous.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

No road here will ever scare you after your ride there.

Shush! We’ll never get pictures if he gets cold feet and bails on the idea. Hosstage meant “excite” not scare. ;) :classic_biggrin:

• 1 month later...

Just got back from a custom 14 day trip around the Alps with Adriatic Moto Tours (self-guided). Excellent company.  My suggestion is go with the R1250GS. Way more comfortable ergonomics for the long days. Snappier steering for the twisty roads. We had 6 guys - 3 on 1250 GS's, a 1250RT,  a 1000XR and a 900XR. The GS's were the most comfortable, best handling and most powerful bikes in the group. All the non-GS riders wished they were on one. RT rider had sore neck and shoulders every night. At one point, we crossed paths with a guided tour from Adriatic. The guide was riding a GS. The 1000XR rider talked the Guide into trading bikes with him.

This was his reaction after first hour on the GS.....    :5210:     We spent the next two days chasing him.  :bike:

There is a reason it's the best selling model worldwide. If you decide to try the GS,  go with a low model if your inseam is less than 31"" or not super comfortable with a passenger/pillion. Low center of gravity and ability to flat foot when stopped inspires more confidence. Also, be sure to request a back rest pad for your passenger in advance. They should automatically provide one, but sometimes they have a limited number available.

As for difficulty, the only challenge is the right hand switchbacks. Start the turn as wide and deep as you can, so you can exit on an inside line. Cars are sometimes right in the middle of a road that is only 1.5 cars wide, If you exit wide..... :14:

• 10 months later...

We''ve gone to Europe 4 times now, and we simply rent the bikes and roam freely.  I stew over maps for days like a kid dreaming over the Sears Christmas Catalog searching for the twisty roads.  I"m sure I'm way late to this conversation, but started in Nice, FR twice.  We ride big bikes, the k1600 and R1200, but over there, we get the middleweights and have found it give a sense of confidence and ease with a lighter bike under us.   Our average speed typically ends up being 30-35mph, the added power of the full size bikes is rarely realized or needed on the fun twisty roads.  Hairpins, curves and unfamiliar roads with a full size bike just makes it more work to navigate and wear us out.  

Our last 3 trips have been on the middleweight F class GS bikes, and they are fantastic.  Choose the latest F750GS if you have a shorter leg reach, the F850GS if you are taller.  Truth is, its the same power block and they really are fun.

Nice is a fantastic starting point as that is where the ALPS start.  We rented bike from Motorbike Trip in NICE, FR.

I brought my own GPS navigator, because why rent one at a daily price when I already have one.  I accidentally left it on the bike when returning the bike, sent email, they found it and mailed it back to me.  So that warranted our return patronage.  So for our second trip back, they recommended a trip over to Corsica for a few days.   WOW!  That is a fantastic seaside to forested mountain tops kinda riding utopia! Highly suggest that as well.

Now the touring companies are nice I'm sure, but thanks to the interwebs, booking accommodations is easy as can be and it allows us to get in as many hours of riding we like.  Mind you, while we tour on two wheels, we do it for the roads and rarely stop at the regular tourist traps....we go for the roads. Stelvio, GrossGlockner, Transfagarasan,  Furka....OK in the Alps, there are so many passes that the names start to blur.  Just go!  

Pick a country and go!

• Like 1