IGNORED

2012 RT Will not Start - as if the kill switch is on.

Cakeboy

Hi. I have an intermittent fault on my RT - only owned it a couple of months. It powers on OK, but it doesn't do any of the power on checks i.e. no CHECK message on the dash. Done it 4 times now, and after some switching off/on of anything I can see it has eventually sprung into life, but not this time. It's a new battery a month ago (after the 1st time it misbehaved), and when it decides to allow me to start it, there are no battery issues.
Lights work ok, screen moves up and down and I can hear the fuel pump faintly whirring when I first power on, but no clicking when I push the start button - its as if the kill switch is on.
Tried stand up/down, in/out of gear, clutch in/out all to no avail.
It seems like a loose wire or immobilizer issue. Would the immobilizer staying on have these symptoms?
..or is there anything else I could try?

Thanks.

• 1 month later...
On 7/5/2022 at 4:49 PM, Cakeboy said:

Hi. I have an intermittent fault on my RT - only owned it a couple of months. It powers on OK, but it doesn't do any of the power on checks i.e. no CHECK message on the dash. Done it 4 times now, and after some switching off/on of anything I can see it has eventually sprung into life, but not this time. It's a new battery a month ago (after the 1st time it misbehaved), and when it decides to allow me to start it, there are no battery issues.
Lights work ok, screen moves up and down and I can hear the fuel pump faintly whirring when I first power on, but no clicking when I push the start button - its as if the kill switch is on.
Tried stand up/down, in/out of gear, clutch in/out all to no avail.
It seems like a loose wire or immobilizer issue. Would the immobilizer staying on have these symptoms?
..or is there anything else I could try?

Afternoon  Cakeboy

This is  2 week old thread so somehow I missed your original posting on your problem. 

If you still have the problem & it hasn't been diagnosed yet__  We can start digging into it if you want?

On the immobilizer (EWS) being the issue, that is possible on the no-crank/ no-start but not all your symptoms fit an  immobilizer problem. As a rule with an immobilizer issue your dash does boot and come alive with an EWS warning showing on the dash.   

Your problem might be as simple as the start button failing (there were a number handlebar  switch  problems on the camhead bikes. 

If you are still getting the no-start issue then next time it won't crank try slowly dumping a very cold bottle of water on the right switch pod & starter button. If the makes it start then you probably need a new R/H combination switch pod.