IGNORED

Fly Screen For R1250RS??

Paddler

On my recent trip I couldn't get my helmet into clean air.  Way too much turbulence.  The windshield is either too short or too tall.  Standing on the pegs quiets things down considerably.  I could go taller or use an adjustable like the MRA, but don't care for the looks.  Fly screens are available for the R1250R, but it won't fit the RS.  Any ideas? 

Also, I'm thinking about just removing the OEM windshield and its mounting bracket just to see how that works.  After removing the windshield, I took out the four bolts that secure the plastic plate, hoping to get to the four arms to remove them.  The plastic plate is loose, but somehow stuck at the top.  Anybody remove this stuff before?  I want to remove anything that could disturb the air flow.  Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Motorhead1977

PM me with your email address and I'll print the repair manual pages for removing the windshield mount and email it to you.

On 7/20/2022 at 5:17 AM, PODMAN said:

Ever look at the Aeroflow short sport screen for the RS. Just received mine yesterday.

Thanks!  Let me know how you like it, maybe post some photos?  From their description it's what I'm looking for.  MH sent me instructions on how to remove the stock adjuster.  I may try that first.  I wonder why BMW doesn't offer a smaller screen.

• 2 weeks later...

I removed the windscreen and the adjuster, rode the bike a bit to see if it makes a significant difference.  Not enough to be worthwhile.  Hard to tell if removing the adjuster makes any improvement vs just removing the windscreen, so I don't think doing so is worth the trouble.  Dealing with the e-clips is tedious.  I think the only real solution is to have a taller screen or a more aerodynamic short bikini fairing.  I may take a slip cover on tours so I can take the screen of and strap it onto the bike, allowing me to ride without it if I want. 

Just got back in town and will have my bike out tomorrow so can let you know what this aeroflow sport screen is like. One thing I can tell you is I like the lines of the bike much better with this screen.

Did get out yesterday and I like the w/s. Lots of air and absolutely no buffeting. Very quite up to about 45 mph and then just some wind sound. Took it up to 75mph and would probably wear ear plugs if I was going to maintain that speed for a few hours. If I drop my head about an inch or two significant drop in wind sound at 70mph. image.thumb.jpeg.353235c111e9e9424449a350db8a4b55.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.dba5b192e76eae3a2e6cbdc55ae2e161.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...
Yeeha Stephen
On 7/20/2022 at 6:17 AM, PODMAN said:

Ever look at the Aeroflow short sport screen for the RS. Just received mine yesterday.

The Sport Screen AeroFlow's what I have and I cut one down for summer use. The little flip at the top helps the turbulence when in the lower position. 

hc105.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...