IGNORED

help--Schuberth Flip helmet visor adjustment

Tom V

I have a two year old Schuberth Flip helmet. It works great for touring. One problem I have is that the face shield will not stay open in any position if there is any wind pressure on it at all. I find that the noise in the helmet is greatly reduced if I can leave the visor slightly open. There is a 'snap forward' position for venting that allows more air when the visor is closed--but it is really noisy.

Does anybody know if there is a way to increase the 'tension' on the faceshield mechanism to make it harder to close? The best riding position (air flow and minimum noise) is with the faceshield partly open.

ShovelStrokeEd

I just duct tape a couple of little spacers around the bottom of the chin piece where the sheild meet it. Easy to remove in the event of rain. Mine is a Shoei RF-1000 and the detent is a little loose so it won't hold in place. Easy enough to remove in the event of rain and a little strip, 1/2" wide or so wound around a pencil and kept in the tank bag handles replacement.

I have a two year old Schuberth Flip helmet. It works great for touring. One problem I have is that the face shield will not stay open in any position if there is any wind pressure on it at all. I find that the noise in the helmet is greatly reduced if I can leave the visor slightly open. There is a 'snap forward' position for venting that allows more air when the visor is closed--but it is really noisy.

Does anybody know if there is a way to increase the 'tension' on the faceshield mechanism to make it harder to close? The best riding position (air flow and minimum noise) is with the faceshield partly open.

this is a fairly common problem with aging schuberts.

i think it really is a bit of a design flaw, the detent is just a plastic tab. anyway:

if you remove the visor you can have a look at the detent system. it consists of a plastic disk with a molded tab which engages in a row of whatsamacall its. little depressions.

anyway, this little tab loses it's tension over time. best solution is to replace the disks for fresh new ones. available through you schubert dealer (no, I haven't a clue if there are any near you.) in the Netherlands, the set costs 12 euro, about $16.

you could try to bend them a little, maybe wedge some material between the tab and the body to increase preload.

incidently, the aforementioned whatsamacall it's also tend to wear over time, with a round file you can improve this slightly.

hope this helps, Daniël

Check the label in the helmet. I'm not sure if the contact information is still the same, but mine references Intersport Fashions West, Inc. at 888.311.5399.

When I had an issue with the sunvisor mechanism failing in 2004 they replaced/installed all the parts without any hassle.

Archived