A trip to Wales part one

Steve1962

Today I met up with Andy [ plus wife ] and George [ plus wife ] with a view to riding some roads in Wales .

This report is about my trip to the meet point [ part two will follow later ] .

As we all live in different parts of the country , Andy and George met up and rode to a planned point to meet up with me , as I would be arriving from a different direction ..........

First thing this morning , the sun was shining , a good omen for the day ahead ..........

Wales002Large.jpg

Right ........programme the GPS ......... grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif..AND i'M OFF ....

Wales004Large.jpg

A quick stop to take in the view just outside Stow on the Wold............

Wales005Large.jpg

Wales001Large.jpg

Back on the bike , as I have a two hour ride to the meet up point , passing Ludlow , Worcester and Leominster before heading north to Whitchurch via Shrewsbury ........

On the spur of the moment , I pulled into a country lane when I saw a sign saying Stokesay Castle ..and here's what I found ........ a 13th century Jacobean house , one of the finest in the country..it was all closed up , but I took some photos from outside the boundaries ........

Wales007Large.jpg

Wales008Large.jpg

Wales009Large.jpg

Wales010Large.jpg

Wales011Large.jpg

Wales018Large.jpg

Wales019Large.jpg

Wales020Large.jpg

The flag ............

Wales016Large.jpg

walking around the back to see if I could gain access [ no joy there ] ....I spotted this fella ...........

Wales024Large.jpg

Then back on the bike , and a nice ride up the A49 to Whitchurch to meet the lads , before our jaunt into Wales .

Part two [ the photos from Wales ] coming later .

Steve

Steve, you didn't mention being attacked by giant flies grin.gif

Wales018Large.jpg

Stokesay castle was built by the De Say family, the first part of the fortified house was the pentagonal tower, built in the 12th century. In the late 13th century a new owner, Lawrence of Ludlow - a rich wool merchant - added the long hall and multiangular tower. The whole dwelling was surrounded by a moat. The Jacobean gatehouse was added in the 17th century. The manor was only lightly slighted in the Civil was, having quickly surrendered to the Parliamentarians thus avoiding a siege.

A great day out again, Sheila and I had a great time, thanks Steve, George and Kathy

Archived