IGNORED

CAN Bus (R1200ST) questions

TonyT607

Guys, a couple of questions:

1) On a CAN Bus bike is there a way to tap into a switched source of power (like for a relay) ? I know that Kisan doesn't make a running light solution for the ST, but I'd like to hook up a set of rear full-time LED's (even if I can't hook them up to the brake light circuit which I know is problematic on the new bikes).

I've already wired up a direct SAE lead to the battery for the Battery Tender/Gerbings but I'd like to have a switched power source for the LED's. I was thinking the wires to the power socket (?) And if that's usable, could I just hook up a relay and have my other devices (currently direct battery-attached) also hooked up to the relay.

2) Does anybody know of a brake-light solution like the "Brake!" or other type things where you replace the brake light bulb with a blinking LED ?

This CAN bus stuff can be a PITA.

Thanks !

Firefight911

Contact San Jose BMW for your rear LED lighting needs. They have an LED solution for the canbus system on the ST.

As for a wire tap, you can tap into the aux. power circuit for use with an autoswitch. Tapping in to run a relay is relatively non-invasive to the can bus system. Just avoid large power draws. These should be run off the battery direct.

Run a search over the last few months and you should be able to find quite a bit on this.

Some others may chime in with a direct link or two to some canbus options for you.

I have a set of motolights running off an AS5NB autoswitch. Power tap for the relay comes off the aux. socket. Switch operates off the turn signal cancel switch.

Also running a Baehr Comm. system that is tapped into switched power.

The key is to not draw large power off of anything other than the battery.

Hope this helps. thumbsup.gif

You can tap any switched source you want. If done properly the ZFE controller (what is monitoring the various lights, accessories, etc.) will never know it's there.

On my R1200GS (same system as your ST) for various reasons I've tapped the high beam, brake light, horn, and accessory socket. No issues.

Jim VonBaden
You can tap any switched source you want. If done properly the ZFE controller (what is monitoring the various lights, accessories, etc.) will never know it's there.

On my R1200GS (same system as your ST) for various reasons I've tapped the high beam, brake light, horn, and accessory socket. No issues.

No problem, here is what I did no my GS, and it is the same on the ST.

Fuse-wiring-diagram.jpg

01-Fuse-block-tap.jpg

01-Fuse-block-whole-strappe.jpg

Using a Blue Seas fuse block I tapped into the green wire on the G1 plug and ran that to a relay that powers the entire fuse block. You could run your LED lights off it easily, and it goes off when the key is off.

Jim cool.gif

Jim VonBaden
Jim, Jim, Jim, I thought you cleaned up that hornets nest? wink.gifgrin.gif

OP - No problems:

59408249-M.jpg

57669577-L.jpg

Yeah, it's an old picture, but mine still isn't as neat as yours! You have a very clean installation there.

Jim cool.gif

Archived