IGNORED

GS-911 rant and questions

waltroman

With the help of Boxflyer I ordered the correct TPM from China and I bought a GS-911 WiFi that will allow me to use with my Android phone. I have a Chromebook laptop for internet and email but it will not work or link to any Windows based applications. My phone will not recognize the GS-911 and I understand I need to enable hotspot tethering. My phone carrier will charge me $20.00 a month to include that feature. I may be better off buying a cheap refurbed windows laptop than paying more every month for a feature I will never really use. They should have made the GS-911 Bluetooth capabl.

I sent a request for help from HEX and they sent a response. The response in some respects talks in language and terms that go beyond  me, I am a guy with a bike that wants to do simple resets and functions without a degree in computer science.

I looked at the number of youtube videos and nothing I have seen addressed pairing to an Android and needing hotspot tethering......Any help?

Hi -- sorry for the issues. My GS 911 is both a 'WiFi' and tethered unit that allows me to plug into a USB on my laptop. I always just use the tether - so I am not going to be much help here.

I would call Ted Porter's Beemer Shop - the distributor for the GS911. They will point you in the right direction.

Good Luck!

4 hours ago, waltroman said:

With the help of Boxflyer I ordered the correct TPM from China and I bought a GS-911 WiFi that will allow me to use with my Android phone. I have a Chromebook laptop for internet and email but it will not work or link to any Windows based applications. My phone will not recognize the GS-911 and I understand I need to enable hotspot tethering. My phone carrier will charge me $20.00 a month to include that feature. I may be better off buying a cheap refurbed windows laptop than paying more every month for a feature I will never really use. They should have made the GS-911 Bluetooth capabl.

I sent a request for help from HEX and they sent a response. The response in some respects talks in language and terms that go beyond  me, I am a guy with a bike that wants to do simple resets and functions without a degree in computer science.

I looked at the number of youtube videos and nothing I have seen addressed pairing to an Android and needing hotspot tethering......Any help?

Afternoon 

You shouldn't have to enable "hotspot tethering" on your phone as in D2D mode the GS-911 is it's own hotspot. 

Try pushing then releasing the D2D button  (with GS-911 connected to your motorcycle & key-on, then see if you can find the GS-911 in your  WiFi list. 

I have no idea on how to set up a Chromebook laptop to connect to a GS-911so you will have to try to figure that out. 

Chromebook is great for internet and email and not much else. I will try the D2D. Is there limits of what you do in D2D vs WiFi

9 minutes ago, waltroman said:

Chromebook is great for internet and email and not much else. I will try the D2D. Is there limits of what you do in D2D vs WiFi

I think you have to be tethered to do some of the resets and diagnostic tests.  I tried resetting my service using my phone and wifi and it would not do it, had to tether it to my surface pro.  It was saying there was an issue connecting to the internet.  SO it might just have been a reception issue I know when it was tethered it was fine.

I have the same issue:88: Luckily I have a PC laptop that I can tether to it. I can access the GS911 with the android devices with WIFI, but I normally use the PC now. Keep us posted if you find a solution.

It seems the D2D function only provides emergency functions and fault code resets. TPMS and service resets do not apply.

So I got the TPM changed in the rear wheel. I took the wheel off and brought to a shop close by. The bolt woul not go into the new TPM and had to be opened up with a drill bit,  Back home I had problems getting everything working. In getting set up I clicked R bikes and kept being directed on the next screen to 800cc bikes. The fourth attempt it decided to let me  choose my year and model.  I was having no luck in getting learning the new sensor until I just punched in the number.

I do not seem to have the choice of multiple TPM numbers as seem in the Boxflyer video.

In the end all is good.  This system seems too glitchy for this age, reminds me of how things were20-25 years ago.

I have never gotten the "wireless" version of the GS-911 software running properly.  Sometimes it works for a while and then it will disconnect, etc... usually in the middle of some function I'm trying to perform.  It is very frustrating.  Now I just use the USB connection and it works perfectly every time.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 2

I've replaced both of my TPM sensors in the past 2 months.  I used the some Amazon units that I bought 2 years ago and had them ready on my shelf.

I use the GS911 with USB to my laptop because that's easiest for me.  But my sensors would not be discovered either.  I had bought an Autel TPM tool.  Once I used that tool to start the process, the Autel triggered the sensors and woke them up.  GS911 found them immediately.  I had my local Honda dealer replace my tires and TPM sensors together.  Had no TPM issues since.

• Plus 1 1

I tried many years ago to work the wifi on the GS-911 and just gave up.

It is just as easy to take the laptop to the bike and just plug it in.  I have always run every generation of GS-911 from USB.  From the LT, the 15 RT, and now the 17.5 GS it just is easier and less hassle.

• Like 1

I was using a laptop. I can pull up info using WiFi. I also have a tool for waking up the TPM sensors. I will continue to use the GS-911 I need to reset my service indicator, just did oil and filter.

After reading this thread I am totally convinced I will never ever in this lifetime own one of these high tech marvels.  There..I feel better having said that:ohboy:Chromebook??? Give me strength////

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2022 at 4:36 PM, TSConver said:

I think you have to be tethered to do some of the resets and diagnostic tests.  I tried resetting my service using my phone and wifi and it would not do it, had to tether it to my surface pro.  It was saying there was an issue connecting to the internet.  SO it might just have been a reception issue I know when it was tethered it was fine.

I carry the GS911 instructions in my toolkit.  They say that you can only reset the service light with a PC.  Most other errors can be reset with a phone via wifi.  It's a struggle every time because I can never remember how I did it the time before.   I also keep my Cardo Packtalk Slim instructions there and the Rider's Manual...which, believe it or not, has some surprisingly useful info.  Makes good reading in the tent if you can't sleep.