IGNORED

R1100RT Front Fork Removal

Krolroger

Hi,

I am just about to remove the front forks from my R1100 RT following a prang.

Can anyone please tell me whether I first must remove the tupperware? Also, after removing the handlebars to access the fork tops, what tool do I need to undo the "threaded connection" on the top of the fixed tube?

Thanks for your help.

Jerry Johnston

It certainly would make it easier to work on and not have to worry about scratching the paint. I'd definately remove the tupper-ware.

I didn't remove my tupperware. I just put a rag around where I needed a wrench. Once the handlbars are off, there is a top nut in the recess under the bars. You need to hold the fork tube from a nut under the triple tree. You may have to scoot a plastic/ rubber piece out of the way to see it. The trouble is that the size is large and the surface is narrow so your wrench options are limited. Mine didn't take much to break loose so a pair of channel locks worked well for me.

Thanks for the replies.

All going well so far, but I managed to wack the end off the kill switch while undoing handlebar bolts. Stupid, stupid...

Jerry Johnston

I'd try glueing the kill swich knob back on before replacing it. It'll be tricky trying not to glue the whole switch together.

Archived