IGNORED

RT or GS?

AviP

I haven't read all the responses here but I've heard that the GS has the RT beat when it comes to absorbing bumps in paved roads because of the long suspension travel which would make paved road travel more comfortable.  Thing I would not like about the GS over the RT is the stock seat height which must be higher than on the RT.  In these parts (western Oregon) I would think twice about off road riding as in logging truck traffic and idiots in 4-wheel drives hauling firewood and the like not to mention a few rock hauling rigs. Before I retired my job involved driving the back roads to get to mountain top two way radio repeater sights and I can tell you I've had to hit the ditch a few times to avoid a log hauler making time to the mill or shipping terminal.  Also, in the pacific northwest many back country roads cross private property and are gated off so why bother?  And because of the vandalism and timber theft which is rampant in these parts you can't blame the land owners which are private and government entities such as ODF, BLM, and USFS. If you want to explore the back country why not invest in a nice comfortable rig like an F150 and just think of the camping equipment you can carry.:5188:

Thanks but no thanks on the F150. I've got a Ram 1500 that I can't wait to replace with a CyberTruck. My preference for visiting the backcountry leans towards camping equipment that fits in a backpack so I can go where no vehicle can. 

That said, good point on the longer suspension comfort of the GS over the RT. 

What is a cyber truck?  I guess I could google it.  Anyway, I've got all my camping equipment packed and ready to roll on the FJR because it can carry more in the GIVI trunk and saddle bags but not off road for obvious reasons.  I would prefer to motel it but with motel prices through the roof for a crap room it's back to camping.  These days it might be best to pack Mr. Ruger just to be safe out there.  I'm getting paranoid in my old age.

I'm back after googling cyber truck and about all I can say is I would sooner walk than be caught dead in something like that.  I can also say that about any vehicle that runs on a thousand pound lithium ion battery.  Wait a couple years for the graphene aluminum ion battery to hit the road and watch the value of your LI ion battery powered rig drop like a rock.  The Ford CEO predicts that in a couple years electric vehicles with the new battery technology will be so numerous that price wars will be the thing.  I drove the neighbors Tesla model Y and another neighbors new Chevy Bolt and quite honestly I was more impressed with the Chevy than the Tesla for a bunch of reasons.  Both have the same thousand pound Li battery so no thanks. Patience is a virtue.:java:

One more thing.  There is one heck of a lot more aluminum on the planet than lithium. Fact!

Brodiepunker18

I’m doing the camping with my RT. Definitely cheaper than a motel.

I bought backpacking tent and whatnot due to size and weight…it works great on the bike!

On 6/11/2022 at 6:33 PM, dba said:

I've had two RTs and two GSAs.  I currently have a '17 GSA and I love it.  I'm 5-10 and have the regular suspension GSA, with the seat set on the higher setting.  I can get pretty good footing at most stops.  I have a ride in appointment at RDL next month, and I've read that their saddles raise you up about 1 to 1 1/2 inches, so I'm entertaining the thought that I might have to put the seat on the low setting.  

As others have mentioned, you do give up a little weather coverage, but it's not that big of a deal for me.  I love the extra sized gas tank.  I haven't taken my wife on it yet as she has a new horse she's training and has no extra time.  Truth be told, I'm a little worried about any extra weight onboard.  I certainly don't want to drop her.  Best of luck.  

Umm... the bike or your wife?  🙄

NEVERMIND, way to personal.  🤣🤣🤣  I know given the choice, some riders on this forum would choose their bike over their wives in a heartbeat!  🙃😁  (Just sayin' .....)

I haven't take my wife on my new-to-me RT yet, since I'm still acclimating after a 6 year riding layoff.  When she finally decided she wanted to jump on back in about 2013, I had no second thoughts.  If you can handle your 600 lb (+/-) bike with your weight, you can handle it with a little more, too.  Just need to "train" each other, start on smaller rides, so that she's comfortable, and knows "pillion rules", i.e. staying balanced, weight distribution.  (That may seem like second nature, no big deal, but my wife has never ridden a bike before, so it wasn't second nature to her).   My personal "other thing" is that I've developed an arthritic left ankle, which tends to collapse at inopportune times.  I need to be able to lace up boots and ensure I can put weight on it, at any time, if my wife's riding with me.

On 6/12/2022 at 6:44 AM, Hosstage said:

All things being equal, do looks factor in to the decision?

One model is sleek, modern looking, almost pretty.

The other, not so much...

LOL, that's DEFINITELY subjective.  While I love my RT, just about the perfect street bike to me, I think the GS is a work of art.  My perspective is as the kid who grew up riding dirt bikes, dreaming of a Christmas surprise he never got.  Dirt bikes ARE "motorcycles" to me, i.e. in my heart.  So, the GS is the beauty, the "pretty girl next door", while the RT is a very refined beauty, i.e. the statuesque, unapproachable European supermodel.  🤣

I wish I liked an American bike as much as the BMW's.   Buying an expensive foreign made machine seems so much riskier in today's perpetual global-supply-chain-crisis world (but that subject is for another thread).

• Like 1
On 6/12/2022 at 8:56 AM, Dave_in_TX said:

Cornering capabilities are about the same. You will get opinions favoring either bike. My opinion is that the RT is slightly better but not by much. GS generally comes with 90/10 tires which are basically sport touring tires for adventure bikes.

Hmm, off topic:  Can you put those thingys on an RT?  My main concern about venturing up any dirt road, e.g. fire trail, not heavily rutted, etc., is doing it with street tires.  In my undisciplined youth, I had a Honda 360 street bike that I never hesitated putzing around on dirt roads, but it became pretty dicey at times.  (Then again, I was a perpetually broke college student, and my tires were probably bald.)  Up here in N. Idaho, it might make sense to put "GS tires" on an RT road bike.

4 hours ago, Scott9999 said:

Hmm, off topic:  Can you put those thingys on an RT?  My main concern about venturing up any dirt road, e.g. fire trail, not heavily rutted, etc., is doing it with street tires.  In my undisciplined youth, I had a Honda 360 street bike that I never hesitated putzing around on dirt roads, but it became pretty dicey at times.  (Then again, I was a perpetually broke college student, and my tires were probably bald.)  Up here in N. Idaho, it might make sense to put "GS tires" on an RT road bike.

Yes, you can put them on an RT. It will improve performance on dirt/gravel but do not expect miracles. On the plus side, they will handle pavement as well or nearly as well as a pure street tire.

RandyShields
44 minutes ago, 6speedTi said:

Has anyone ever had or considered a R1250RS? It's the best of both worlds between the RT and GS.

Yes, I have several riding friends that have them.  They are a totally different ride than an RT or GS.  Smaller, lighter, more forward lean, sportier, less wind protection than the RT.  Very good looking.  Great bike, just different.

1 hour ago, RandyShields said:

Yes, I have several riding friends that have them.  They are a totally different ride than an RT or GS.  Smaller, lighter, more forward lean, sportier, less wind protection than the RT.  Very good looking.  Great bike, just different.

Nice bike but less comfort than the RT, so an RS will never make my list.

13 hours ago, 6speedTi said:

Has anyone ever had or considered a R1250RS? It's the best of both worlds between the RT and GS.

A friend of mine had one. Too much forward lean for me. However, a couple of years ago at a MOA rally, Sargent had one fitted with their seat and bar risers. It felt very comfortable.

A big downside for me is the smaller gas tank and OEM lighting.

13 hours ago, RandyShields said:

Not sure aboutv1250 but R1200RS LC and R1200GS LC weigh almost the same.

On 6/21/2022 at 11:27 AM, Scott9999 said:

Just need to "train" each other, start on smaller rides, so that she's comfortable, and knows "pillion rules", i.e. staying balanced, weight distribution.  (That may seem like second nature, no big deal, but my wife has never ridden a bike before, so it wasn't second nature to her). 

She rode with me lots of times on my RTs and my GTL.  Different riding geometry and feet touching the ground more securely.  

On 6/12/2022 at 11:03 AM, TEWKS said:

I think the bikes MAX BMW has are fitted with These. Basically a street tire. 

In April, I traded my 4th RT, a '17 1200 wet-head, on my first GSA....('22 Triple Black low suspension with 90/10 tires)  

New GSA's come with either these 041s (as 90/10) or 50/50 tires.   No cost difference, you can pick either. 

Those front Bridgestone 041's are the loudest tire I've ever ridden on!  Plenty of 50/50 tires are quieter than these things.   At 20mph they howl and it doesn't go away at speed..   I thought it was the new bike...more open space around the forks than RT?  I bought a handlebar storage case to block the noise, then I bought a plastic shield that fits under the dash...helps a little bit.  I took off the 041s after the 600 mile service and replaced with Continental Trail Attack 3, which I love.   Tread noise went completely away with the tire change.   I've got about 6K on the TA3's now and they're still going strong.  

I may try 50/50 tires next year, they'll be Dunlop Trailmax Missions...seem to be the best rated 50/50 by dirt-oriented riders.  

I can't believe BMW would approve 041s as OEM tires.   Bridgestone 041 is an OK tire for grip, rain etc but I won't be using that front tire again.   Just crazy loud.   Wear earplugs at all times!

BTW:  I'm also a little bit negative on Michelin Road tires these days and have read same from others who have had 3 or more mishaps in a row on near new tires..  They feel fantastic, but I've gotten two rear punctures early in the life of two different sets of rear Michelins, one a Pilot Road 4 and the other a Road 5.  My last set on the RT were Conti Road Attack.  They're not quite as sharp as the Michelins, but they're very nice tires.  I'm going to stick with Conti 90/10 tires for now.   They have more rubber on them and seem more resistant to punctures.   The TA3s handle everything well... except probably mud and sand...no complaints at all with them.   They stick as well as any road tire I've used, including Michelins.   I chased around for a week with a friend who had new Road 6's on his '21 GS.   He didn't lose me once.    

I carry a patch kit and compressor on my bike but I HATE getting a puncture while out on a ride far from home.   Waiting for a tow if you can't patch one is the worst.    These tow services generally take 4-ever.   

I've started making my own routes with Rever & Basecamp lately.   Rever doesn't seem to know what is paved vs unpaved, at least in MO and IL, so I've been doing more unintentional dirt...Press On Regardless!    I forded 4 streams on the way to the MOA rally.  No issues with the TA3s and they're great at the curvies...I've proven that well.   

On 6/21/2022 at 1:56 PM, Scott9999 said:

Scott:   

Yes, you can put 90/10 on an RT.  They make them with '17" front tire size.    I think it's a good idea and I'd have Conti Trail Attack 3 on my RT if I hadn't traded it for the GSA.  It's a great tire with no compromises that I can detect.   I don't know how many miles I'll get out of mine, but a pal has done very well with several sets on his GS.   

I'd only advise not to get the Bridgestone 041 because of the insane tread noise.   

• Plus 1 1
On 6/21/2022 at 11:33 AM, Brodiepunker18 said:

I’m doing the camping with my RT. Definitely cheaper than a motel.

I bought backpacking tent and whatnot due to size and weight…it works great on the bike!

I have a Redvers Solo tent...definitely not recommended for back-packing!    With a couple 50L dry bags, I can put it and a folding chair and table and bag and air mattress on the pillion seat with the small top case behind.  (Hint:  Put the soft stuff in the dry bag that's directly behind your back) It works, but it's a bit top-heavy.    One reason I went with GS this time was so I could mount a flat platform on the back.   The GSA rides better loaded up than the RT...and is lots better at low/no speeds when packed.   

GS/GSA are louder at highway speeds but they give you more air in hot weather.   I'm playing with ear plugs again for longer rides.  I used to not need them with the RT.   The GSA is more comfy for me.  I think it turns a bit better than the RT.  The GSA is heavier than the GS but about the same as an RT.   For me, the low suspension GSA, which is about same height as a standard GS, feels easier to control than any of the 4 RT's I had before.   The suspension geometry is different than RT and I like GSA better for that difference.   I do miss the ability to rack up serious miles that the RT has.      

I put the biggest V-Stream windscreen on my GSA with the supplementary brackets and I've got Aeroflow Aerowings and some other bits too.    It's still not RT quiet (get an aeroflow Tall for the RT), but it's pretty good.     

I had 35F/40Rpsi in my tires and rode to St. Louis from Chicago on all interstate with the GSA packed for camping with alum pillion cases...It got only 34mpg cruising at 78mph most of the way.  That's hideous!    Not sure what the problem was, my guess is slightly below recommended inflation plus riding into the wind with big square alum side cases and a very tall windscreen..   I'll make sure to fill those tires to 36.5/42.5 next trip.  I dunno for sure what happened but it was pretty weird to need gas half way with an 8-gallon tank.  

29 minutes ago, tbrown said:

In April, I traded my 4th RT, a '17 1200 wet-head, on my first GSA....('22 Triple Black low suspension with 90/10 tires)  

New GSA's come with either these 041s (as 90/10) or 50/50 tires.   No cost difference, you can pick either. 

Those front Bridgestone 041's are the loudest tire I've ever ridden on!  Plenty of 50/50 tires are quieter than these things.   At 20mph they howl and it doesn't go away at speed..   I thought it was the new bike...more open space around the forks than RT?  I bought a handlebar storage case to block the noise, then I bought a plastic shield that fits under the dash...helps a little bit.  I took off the 041s after the 600 mile service and replaced with Continental Trail Attack 3, which I love.   Tread noise went completely away with the tire change.   I've got about 6K on the TA3's now and they're still going strong.  

I may try 50/50 tires next year, they'll be Dunlop Trailmax Missions...seem to be the best rated 50/50 by dirt-oriented riders.  

I can't believe BMW would approve 041s as OEM tires.   Bridgestone 041 is an OK tire for grip, rain etc but I won't be using that front tire again.   Just crazy loud.   Wear earplugs at all times!

BTW:  I'm also a little bit negative on Michelin Road tires these days and have read same from others who have had 3 or more mishaps in a row on near new tires..  They feel fantastic, but I've gotten two rear punctures early in the life of two different sets of rear Michelins, one a Pilot Road 4 and the other a Road 5.  My last set on the RT were Conti Road Attack.  They're not quite as sharp as the Michelins, but they're very nice tires.  I'm going to stick with Conti 90/10 tires for now.   They have more rubber on them and seem more resistant to punctures.   The TA3s handle everything well... except probably mud and sand...no complaints at all with them.   They stick as well as any road tire I've used, including Michelins.   I chased around for a week with a friend who had new Road 6's on his '21 GS.   He didn't lose me once.    

I carry a patch kit and compressor on my bike but I HATE getting a puncture while out on a ride far from home.   Waiting for a tow if you can't patch one is the worst.    These tow services generally take 4-ever.   

I've started making my own routes with Rever & Basecamp lately.   Rever doesn't seem to know what is paved vs unpaved, at least in MO and IL, so I've been doing more unintentional dirt...Press On Regardless!    I forded 4 streams on the way to the MOA rally.  No issues with the TA3s and they're great at the curvies...I've proven that well.   

My 2020 GS came with 41s. I did notice  any excessive Road noise. My complaint with them is that the front wore out well before  the rear.

Brodiepunker18

I have a marmot 2person tent that fits in my trunk along with my camp chair and other things. I’ve got the foam bed roll on my passenger seat as you can see. Everything fits in my bags and trunk.

this is my RT loaded for Dart this past Friday. 
D5FB4CE0-97FA-43CF-9C41-055D58309AC8.thumb.jpeg.9ef1a591fba06a5f754c38a7f33a8ed8.jpeg

54 minutes ago, Brodiepunker18 said:

I have a marmot 2person tent that fits in my trunk along with my camp chair and other things. I’ve got the foam bed roll on my passenger seat as you can see. Everything fits in my bags and trunk.

this is my RT loaded for Dart this past Friday. 
D5FB4CE0-97FA-43CF-9C41-055D58309AC8.thumb.jpeg.9ef1a591fba06a5f754c38a7f33a8ed8.jpeg

I'd seriously consider getting an inflatable mattress instead of that foam thing...Its HUGE! Where you have that thing, is where I had my whole Redverz tent, which you can stand up in and is very spacious plus a lot of the other stuff you carry.   My air mattress is really comfy and insulated too.  It fits in a stuff sack about the same size as my down bag.  It came with a bag type inflator...you attach one end of the bag inflator to a fitting on the mattress, then roll the open end of the bag closed and force the trapped air into the mattress..repeat about 10 times and mattress is full.   It's not fast as an electric pump, but the inflator fits in the stuffsack with the mattress, so it takes, like zero room.   Mine is an Ex-Ped, but there are several good brands around.   Check out Moosejaw.com for a pretty good selection of the quality stuff.

Nice seat!!!

Brodiepunker18

I’m a bit skittish with inflatable mattresses…I have some back issues and they aren’t comfortable for me…I know what I got is huge but it doubles as a backrest. 😂 

im actually going to be selling that seat. I’ll be getting my BMS seat this week…which I’m looking forward to.

On 6/16/2022 at 1:42 PM, Brodiepunker18 said:

I didn’t want just a bike that I sat more upright with…and I knew a crotch rocket,either sitting up or laying down, wasn’t conducive to me maintaining my license considering I drive with a CDL for a living.

I wanted a bike to travel with and a bike that if the need calls for it, has enough giddy up to go. I lucked out with the RT and I’m glad I got what I was looking for.

I will say that as for seat, it had a Sargent on it and it was okay, bought an oem seat to try and it was worse…now I’m getting a Bill Mayer, which I hope is as comfortable for long distance travel as I’ve been told…I’m looking forward to it.

You're going to love that BMS seat!

• Thanks 1
Brodiepunker18
On 6/27/2022 at 2:15 PM, Rotor said:

You're going to love that BMS seat!

Just got my BMS seat today…looks stunning!!!! 😍

can’t wait to ride on it and break it in! 

BD6A02F2-3E14-4C1A-B18F-8C1DB0B01646.thumb.jpeg.18445d8db5e85bd86362f66ba0c6255b.jpeg

don’t mind the messy garage…the seat is the important part 😂 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Brodiepunker18 said:

don’t mind the messy garage…the seat is the important part 😂 

Nobody minds at all, as we all enjoy checking out other people's garages in just about every back ground photo that gets posted.   :whistle:

Spoiler

FYI......not enough garage in your picture to view the background.   :ohboy:

• Haha 1