IGNORED

RT or GS?

AviP

My R1100RT is getting a little long in the tooth and I'm debating whether I need to move to a 1200 GS or 1250 GS. Having never ridden one, I'm more curious about the GS's on-road manners because I'm pretty sure that 90-95% of my riding will be getting to the off-roads, if any. Specifically, how much more uncomfortable is a GS compared to an RT from a seating perspective or from wind noise. I have accumulated many 1000+ mile days on my RT in the past but will most likely be in the 600-750 mile range per day going forward. I'm not in imminent purchase mode, more like data gathering mode from experienced long distance tourers. Any GS related information tips I need to know? Thanks -Avi

P.S. I did ride my brother's 2018 R1200RT and goodness, it make my R1100RT seem like a dinosaur.

RocketJohn

I was in the same boat recently and just got a camhead RT.  I just like the RTs.  The GS and SuperTenere I owned in the past rarely rarely saw dirt and the dirt they saw the RT could have ridden on.  I'm only 5'11" so the GS is a tad too big, the RT fits me perfect.

If the dirt destination isn’t at least 40% of your daily enjoyment, I might bypass a GS. My riding has evolved into at least 50% dirt or as close to that as possible. In planning importance anyway. That being said, more exposure to the elements is the trade off you’ll have to deal with.

But, that by no means is saying a GS is uncomfortable. Seat, bar backs, highway pegs and you can cross the country at a pretty good clip.

My last BMW is going to be a GS/A I’m pretty sure. 

So my summary is this, you might need an RT but I like the GS better. :5150: :4323:

• Like 1

I have an 06 RT and a 19 GSA.  The GSA is far more comfortable than the RT,.....by a long shot and handles 'streamly well on pavement,......and, the option exist if you want to take it off the Starbucks lot.  I'm 5'7" -5'8" on a really good day, 30" inseam and have the low suspension GSA. 

Also, I've not test ridden any of the bikes I've purchased.

Only thing you give up is some weather and wind protection, but it's not bad.  Prior to my current GS, my experience was solely street bikes such as RT's, K-bikes and FJR.  For me it wasn't so much the lack of protection like a naked bike, but more that I was getting hit with dirty or turbulent air that bounced my helmet around.  For reference my height is 5'06" so YMMV.  But I've mostly sorted that out.  Different windshield and some fairing winglets like the GSA have given me a nice clean airflow in the cockpit area.

I also swapped out the stock seat.  Stock seat was fine for up to four hours of riding in a day before I started feeling it.  But doing all day riding, for multiple days on out of state trips, I'm much happier with an aftermarket seat.  So far, I've done a few trips with 8 or 9 hours in the saddle each day, multiple days in a row, without issue.

I've ridden in rain and light snow so far and didn't feel like it was bad compared to my previous bikes.  Just had to clear a little more ice off the visor.  In bad weather comfort is more about your gear than how much plastic is in front of you.

As for road manners on the fun roads, its every bit as capable as an RT.  Handles the corners just as fast and the same motor so nothing given up there.  So, you won't be losing any of the sport aspect of the ride.  Just gaining the option of some light dirt to see stuff you may not take an RT to.  Thats why I made the switch and haven't regretted it one bit.

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1
19 minutes ago, BrianT said:

Only thing you give up is some weather and wind protection, but it's not bad.  Prior to my current GS, my experience was solely street bikes such as RT's, K-bikes and FJR.  For me it wasn't so much the lack of protection like a naked bike, but more that I was getting hit with dirty or turbulent air that bounced my helmet around.  For reference my height is 5'06" so YMMV.  But I've mostly sorted that out.  Different windshield and some fairing winglets like the GSA have given me a nice clean airflow in the cockpit area.

I also swapped out the stock seat.  Stock seat was fine for up to four hours of riding in a day before I started feeling it.  But doing all day riding, for multiple days on out of state trips, I'm much happier with an aftermarket seat.  So far, I've done a few trips with 8 or 9 hours in the saddle each day, multiple days in a row, without issue.

I've ridden in rain and light snow so far and didn't feel like it was bad compared to my previous bikes.  Just had to clear a little more ice off the visor.  In bad weather comfort is more about your gear than how much plastic is in front of you.

As for road manners on the fun roads, its every bit as capable as an RT.  Handles the corners just as fast and the same motor so nothing given up there.  So, you won't be losing any of the sport aspect of the ride.  Just gaining the option of some light dirt to see stuff you may not take an RT to.  Thats why I made the switch and haven't regretted it one bit.

Could not have said it better :thumbsup:

I don't even own a GS or GSA but I'll say, don't be hesitant on the 'low version'.  Lower center of gravity is a plus.  

Unless you are planning on hitting  ledges, whops and ruts with aggression or, RTW travel, there's really no need for the extra suspension travel. IMHO

You might enjoy reading THIS

All great information. Please keep it coming. I'm 5'9" with supermodel legs at 32" inseam, so flat footing is usually not a problem. How comfortable is the GS for a pillion rider? My wife has done many long rides on the RT and she is fine with it.

Also, what is the difference between a GS and GSA? I went to the BMW website and got even more confused. I think I need to visit a dealer to get some clarity as the BMW website felt useless.

GSA has a much larger gas tank, but is also heavier because of it.  Also has side fairing winglets for a little more wind protection, engine crash bars and sits an inch or so taller due to more suspension.

2 hours ago, AviP said:

Also, what is the difference between a GS and GSA?

About $2000

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 4
On 6/8/2022 at 12:32 PM, RocketJohn said:

I was in the same boat recently and just got a camhead RT.  I just like the RTs.  The GS and SuperTenere I owned in the past rarely rarely saw dirt and the dirt they saw the RT could have ridden on.  I'm only 5'11" so the GS is a tad too big, the RT fits me perfect.

I currently have a 2020 R1250GS eith 68k miles on it. My previous bike was a 2014 R1200GS that I put 125k miles on. Almost all of my riding is on pavement. I am only 5'6 with a 30 inch inseam so both bikes are low suspension versions. I find the GS to be a fine sport tourer. I previously had two RTs but found that the GS's ergonomics suited me better.

6 hours ago, Dave_in_TX said:

I currently have a 2020 R1250GS eith 68k miles on it. My previous bike was a 2014 R1200GS that I put 125k miles on. Almost all of my riding is on pavement. I am only 5'6 with a 30 inch inseam so both bikes are low suspension versions. I find the GS to be a fine sport tourer. I previously had two RTs but found that the GS's ergonomics suited me better.

Dang! More miles on your bikes than I have on my cars. I'm jealous.

I'm starting to lean towards a GS or GSA, Any pillion rider viewpoints here or is everyone pretty much a solo warrior?

22 hours ago, AviP said:

Dang! More miles on your bikes than I have on my cars. I'm jealous.

In 2014, the Ford focus I purchased in 2005 had 40k miles: the R1200RT purchased new in 2007 had 140k miles. I have joked that I need a battery tender for the car.

• Haha 1

I've had two RTs and two GSAs.  I currently have a '17 GSA and I love it.  I'm 5-10 and have the regular suspension GSA, with the seat set on the higher setting.  I can get pretty good footing at most stops.  I have a ride in appointment at RDL next month, and I've read that their saddles raise you up about 1 to 1 1/2 inches, so I'm entertaining the thought that I might have to put the seat on the low setting.  

As others have mentioned, you do give up a little weather coverage, but it's not that big of a deal for me.  I love the extra sized gas tank.  I haven't taken my wife on it yet as she has a new horse she's training and has no extra time.  Truth be told, I'm a little worried about any extra weight onboard.  I certainly don't want to drop her.  Best of luck.  

One more opinion please:  The bike you like is the bike for you, right?  Seems like most posts are leaning toward the GS models, but I've had one GSA and three RT's, and the RT is my choice for these reasons:

The GSA is a big, heavy bike.  The extra gas capacity was not useful to me, because I like to get off and stretch before my 6 gallons are used up on the RT; 

I don't ride off road any more, so the whole idea of GS is lost on me (I'm an old codger who sold his dual sport bike last year);

The RT is more comfortable, with less wind noise, and the RDL seat makes long days in the saddle very doable;

Either model is good, it's just a personal choice decision.  Hope you get the one that fits your desires and riding style.

All things being equal, do looks factor in to the decision?

One model is sleek, modern looking, almost pretty.

The other, not so much...

• Thanks 1

Looks do matter but while the RT is pretty, the GS is rugged and both can be considered good looking for their categories.

Are the cornering capabilities the same on both the bikes? I have dragged my pegs on the RT in the past but am not sure what the GS can and cannot do. Also does the GS/GSA have knobby tires or street tires? The online photos on the BMW website seem to indicate street tires.

19 hours ago, AviP said:

Looks do matter but while the RT is pretty, the GS is rugged and both can be considered good looking for their categories.

Are the cornering capabilities the same on both the bikes? I have dragged my pegs on the RT in the past but am not sure what the GS can and cannot do. Also does the GS/GSA have knobby tires or street tires? The online photos on the BMW website seem to indicate street tires.

Cornering capabilities are about the same. You will get opinions favoring either bike. My opinion is that the RT is slightly better but not by much. GS generally comes with 90/10 tires which are basically sport touring tires for adventure bikes.

12 hours ago, BamaJohn said:

One more opinion please:  The bike you like is the bike for you, right?  Seems like most posts are leaning toward the GS models, but I've had one GSA and three RT's, and the RT is my choice for these reasons:

The GSA is a big, heavy bike.  The extra gas capacity was not useful to me, because I like to get off and stretch before my 6 gallons are used up on the RT; 

I don't ride off road any more, so the whole idea of GS is lost on me (I'm an old codger who sold his dual sport bike last year);

The RT is more comfortable, with less wind noise, and the RDL seat makes long days in the saddle very doable;

Either model is good, it's just a personal choice decision.  Hope you get the one that fits your desires and riding style.

The RT may be more comfortable for you but the GS is more comfortable for me.

• Like 1
TracerBullet

I lean to the RT. Where I live there are no off road areas to ride so the RT fits the bill for me. If I live in Arizona I may have different take. The RT is a wwaaayyyy better looking bike

• Like 2
On 6/8/2022 at 1:25 PM, AviP said:

My R1100RT is getting a little long in the tooth and I'm debating whether I need to move to a 1200 GS or 1250 GS. Having never ridden one, I'm more curious about the GS's on-road manners because I'm pretty sure that 90-95% of my riding will be getting to the off-roads, if any. Specifically, how much more uncomfortable is a GS compared to an RT from a seating perspective or from wind noise. I have accumulated many 1000+ mile days on my RT in the past but will most likely be in the 600-750 mile range per day going forward. I'm not in imminent purchase mode, more like data gathering mode from experienced long distance tourers. Any GS related information tips I need to know? Thanks -Avi

P.S. I did ride my brother's 2018 R1200RT and goodness, it make my R1100RT seem like a dinosaur.

The GS is not going to match the RT when it comes to comfort or wind/weather protection but with a aftermarket windscreen and custom seat you can improve wind/weather protection but it still won't match the RT. If you plan to ride 600-750 miles a day those types of miles can easily be done on a GS but I would recommend you invest in a aftermarket seat because the OEM seat is horribly uncomfortable. The GS really is a bike that has excellent road manners and handles any road with confidence be it highways, back roads, dirt/gravel roads or switchbacks. With that said the GS is also an annoyingly noisy bike with wind noise passing through the front fairing, road noise from the tires and the boxer engine is not the smoothest sounding so if you can get past all of that it's a great all around motorcycle that does everything well which is the reason why it's the number one selling adventure bike worldwide.

If you're going to buy a GS you might as well buy a 1250 if it's in your budget. I traded my 2018 GS in for a 2020 GSA because I felt the added HP/torque was worth the cost to upgrade but you can't go wrong with the 1200. If you buy used my advice is to buy the newest used bike you can afford with the lowest miles. Test ride a 1200 and 1250 back to back if possible and then decide which bike best fits your riding needs.

• Plus 1 1
4 hours ago, Calugo said:

The GS is not going to match the RT when it comes to comfort or wind/weather protection but with a aftermarket windscreen and custom seat you can improve wind/weather protection but it still won't match the RT. If you plan to ride 600-750 miles a day those types of miles can easily be done on a GS but I would recommend you invest in a aftermarket seat because the OEM seat is horribly uncomfortable. The GS really is a bike that has excellent road manners and handles any road with confidence be it highways, back roads, dirt/gravel roads or switchbacks. With that said the GS is also an annoyingly noisy bike with wind noise passing through the front fairing, road noise from the tires and the boxer engine is not the smoothest sounding so if you can get past all of that it's a great all around motorcycle that does everything well which is the reason why it's the number one selling adventure bike worldwide.

If you're going to buy a GS you might as well buy a 1250 if it's in your budget. I traded my 2018 GS in for a 2020 GSA because I felt the added HP/torque was worth the cost to upgrade but you can't go wrong with the 1200. If you buy used my advice is to buy the newest used bike you can afford with the lowest miles. Test ride a 1200 and 1250 back to back if possible and then decide which bike best fits your riding needs.

There's more to comfort than wind protection. I find the GS to be more comfortable for me because of the ergonomics are better for me. As for noise, I wear ear plugs regards of what I'm riding.

12 hours ago, Dave_in_TX said:

There's more to comfort than wind protection. I find the GS to be more comfortable for me because of the ergonomics are better for me. As for noise, I wear ear plugs regards of what I'm riding.

You are correct there is more to comfort than weather protection but weather protection is a big factor because getting beat up by the wind all day can lead to a pretty uncomfortable ride no matter how comfortable the riding ergonomics. I own a 2020 GSA and I've ridden an RT and from my perspective the riding position is pretty similar but the only way for anyone to tell which bike works best for them is to take a test ride. I also wear ear plugs no matter what bike I'm riding and it's wise for everyone to do the same.  

18 hours ago, Dave_in_TX said:

touche'

5 hours ago, Calugo said:

You are correct there is more to comfort than weather protection but weather protection is a big factor because getting beat up by the wind all day can lead to a pretty uncomfortable ride no matter how comfortable the riding ergonomics. I own a 2020 GSA and I've ridden an RT and from my perspective the riding position is pretty similar but the only way for anyone to tell which bike works best for them is to take a test ride. I also wear ear plugs no matter what bike I'm riding and it's wise for everyone to do the same.  

I dunno, comfort is subjective.  I've got the stock seat (oh my), stock windscreen (double oh my) and during FART, had a couple of 12+ days of riding.  I'd leave my maison about 0545, ride 1.5 hours to meet the crew in Sparta, ride all day, end up back in Sparta at 1800ish, then ride home the 1.5ish hours.  Piece of cake.  Oh, I gots an RT as well, but I chose to ride the GSA for the days of the event.

To each their own.

43 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Piece of cake

Ya, but you probably would have suffered a little if it weren't for that goodwill stich gear      :cool:

41 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

touche'

I dunno, comfort is subjective.  I've got the stock seat (oh my), stock windscreen (double oh my) and during FART, had a couple of 12+ days of riding.  I'd leave my maison about 0545, ride 1.5 hours to meet the crew in Sparta, ride all day, end up back in Sparta at 1800ish, then ride home the 1.5ish hours.  Piece of cake.  Oh, I gots an RT as well, but I chose to ride the GSA for the days of the event.

To each their own.

I agree comfort is 100% subjective and depends on the person which is why a test ride is the only real way for a rider to determine which bike fits them best and why I won't consider buying any bike unless I can take it for a test ride. The OP asked for opinions which each person who responded has provided their opinions based on their experiences so now it's up to the OP to take it all in and make a decision.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Calugo said:

I agree comfort is 100% subjective and depends on the person which is why a test ride is the only real way for a rider to determine which bike fits them best and why I won't consider buying any bike unless I can take it for a test ride. The OP asked for opinions which each person who responded has provided their opinions based on their experiences so now it's up to the OP to take it all in and make a decision.

I've never test rode a bike I've purchased and do very few test drives of four wheeled vehicles I purchase.  Once you spend hours upon hours in a Hummer or AAV, everything else is comfortable ;)  But, we's all gots our opinions and mines likely not the popular ones.

16 minutes ago, taylor1 said:

Ya, but you probably would have suffered a little if it weren't for that goodwill stich gear      :cool:

C'mon man, it's a good piece of kit and a bargain to be had at the goodwill ;)

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Rougarou said:

I've never test rode a bike I've purchased and do very few test drives of four wheeled vehicles I purchase.  Once you spend hours upon hours in a Hummer or AAV, everything else is comfortable ;)  But, we's all gots our opinions and mines likely not the popular ones.

C'mon man, it's a good piece of kit and a bargain to be had at the goodwill ;)

I've spent more than enough time riding in a Hummer and other military vehicles and I'm glad those days are over :-) but I still prefer to test ride any bike or car I purchase. I need to see how well a bike accelerates, how well it handles, wind management and how well or poorly the riding position fits my body. One thing I learned is there can be a big difference between how a bike feels when you're sitting on it in the showroom and when you're riding it and considering the price of motorcycles today I can't afford to buy a bike I can't ride because it's uncomfortable.  Ride safe

• Plus 1 1
Brodiepunker18

@Calugo I know exactly how you feel.

I test drove a few bikes before buying my RT…

that’s how I knew the Yamaha tracer wasn’t for me…basically a sports bike you sit more upright on. 🤦🏼‍♂️ and really sold me on the RT I bought. Fell in love with it right away. 

13 hours ago, Brodiepunker18 said:

@Calugo I know exactly how you feel.

I test drove a few bikes before buying my RT…

that’s how I knew the Yamaha tracer wasn’t for me…basically a sports bike you sit more upright on. 🤦🏼‍♂️ and really sold me on the RT I bought. Fell in love with it right away. 

I thought I wanted a BMW S1000RR and sitting on the bike in the showroom it felt pretty comfortable until I took it out for a test ride and immediately realized it wasn't the bike for me, maybe 20 years ago I could have tolerated the riding position but not today. That test ride saved me from spending 20 grand on a bike I wouldn't have been able to ride for any length of time.

• Like 2
56 minutes ago, Calugo said:

I thought I wanted a BMW S1000RR and sitting on the bike in the showroom it felt pretty comfortable until I took it out for a test ride and immediately realized it wasn't the bike for me, maybe 20 years ago I could have tolerated the riding position but not today. That test ride saved me from spending 20 grand on a bike I wouldn't have been able to ride for any length of time.

Ugh,.....I miss mine.  'twas a fun ride and I threw 12k+ miles on it before I realized it just wasn't a practical bike (couldn't haul anything but @$$ and sometimes I have to carry stuff).  I didn't find it uncomfortable and one of the reviews I'd read, the rider did a several day cross country ride.   I'm a bit vertically challenged, so I fit in the bike better than most I suspect.  That's one I didn't even sit on at the dealership, just knew I wanted it and got it.  First time I sat on it was when I offloaded it at the house.

So, GS or RT,....you won't know until you know.  I have both and as I said waaay above, the GS is far more comfortable than the RT, but that's also not saying the RT is NOT uncomfortable, it is, but the cockpit of the GS fits me better and has a better feel,......could also be that the GS is 13 years newer than the RT.

Also, I've had a Corbin seat and a Sergeant set on the RT, the Corbin was better feel, but the Sergeant is good enough.  GSA, still stock and I'm good with that,.....I'd have to find a sweet goodwill deal to pop for a seat for the GSA.

Brodiepunker18

I didn’t want just a bike that I sat more upright with…and I knew a crotch rocket,either sitting up or laying down, wasn’t conducive to me maintaining my license considering I drive with a CDL for a living.

I wanted a bike to travel with and a bike that if the need calls for it, has enough giddy up to go. I lucked out with the RT and I’m glad I got what I was looking for.

I will say that as for seat, it had a Sargent on it and it was okay, bought an oem seat to try and it was worse…now I’m getting a Bill Mayer, which I hope is as comfortable for long distance travel as I’ve been told…I’m looking forward to it.

2 hours ago, Brodiepunker18 said:

I didn’t want just a bike that I sat more upright with…and I knew a crotch rocket,either sitting up or laying down, wasn’t conducive to me maintaining my license considering I drive with a CDL for a living.

I wanted a bike to travel with and a bike that if the need calls for it, has enough giddy up to go. I lucked out with the RT and I’m glad I got what I was looking for.

I will say that as for seat, it had a Sargent on it and it was okay, bought an oem seat to try and it was worse…now I’m getting a Bill Mayer, which I hope is as comfortable for long distance travel as I’ve been told…I’m looking forward to it.

I've been tempted to buy an RT but I don't want to give up the 7.9 gallon fuel tank on my 2020 GSA, I have a Corbin seat on my GSA and I've been very happy with it.

• Plus 1 1
Brodiepunker18

I’ve heard that the Corbin is very hard as a seat and that doesn’t sound comfortable to me…that’s how I feel the Sargent is…and the oem seat as well(hard)

my RT is my first BMW…didn’t even look at a GS to be honest. I was on a budget and the RT was exactly what I was looking for so I just looked at that. My RT is a 6.6 gallon tank. Which is more than double what I’m used to.

Sorry.   I purchased a used seat on fleabay to send out so that I can keep riding.  It took him a month, or two, to return it back - not exactly sure on the time frame, but close enough.

Brodiepunker18

No worries

I have the Sargent seat yet so I can still ride. I was told 3-5 days turnaround for mine.

i had  bought an oem seat set this spring to try…and sent those out to get custom made for me by BMS

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Brodiepunker18 said:

I’ve heard that the Corbin is very hard as a seat and that doesn’t sound comfortable to me…that’s how I feel the Sargent is…and the oem seat as well(hard)

my RT is my first BMW…didn’t even look at a GS to be honest. I was on a budget and the RT was exactly what I was looking for so I just looked at that. My RT is a 6.6 gallon tank. Which is more than double what I’m used to.

The Sargent I currently have on NY 1250 GS is very comfortable but it took about 4000 miles to break in.

Brodiepunker18
8 minutes ago, Dave_in_TX said:

The Sargent I currently have on NY 1250 GS is very comfortable but it took about 4000 miles to break in.

The Sargent seat I have is not new by any means…so it’s definitely already broken in.

I’m the second owner of my RT, I believe, and it’s just not comfortable at all for me.

Not sure when they did it but the newer Sargent seats have a layer of memory foam over the base foam. The earlier ones had only the base foam.

On 6/15/2022 at 8:08 AM, Calugo said:

Conversely, great weather protection won't help much if the riding position is uncomfortable. I've done several 700 mile days pn my GS and I have not felt much more "beat up" than I did on my RTs. I find the riding position significantly different than the RT. I'm including the shape and width of the handlebars in this.

Brodiepunker18
1 hour ago, Dave_in_TX said:

Not sure when they did it but the newer Sargent seats have a layer of memory foam over the base foam. The earlier ones had only the base foam.

It’s definitely not one of the newer ones. Doesn’t look like the current model. So I’m sure it’s only base foam.

5 hours ago, Dave_in_TX said:

Conversely, great weather protection won't help much if the riding position is uncomfortable. I've done several 700 mile days pn my GS and I have not felt much more "beat up" than I did on my RTs. I find the riding position significantly different than the RT. I'm including the shape and width of the handlebars in this.

Good points

We all have to find a bike that provides a good combination of wind protection and comfort and we all have to make tradeoffs and decide what riding criteria is more important than another. We're also all built differently so while I found the riding position between a GS and RT similar you found the riding position significantly different. Ultimately each person has to take a bike out for a test ride and a lengthy test ride if possible to determine which bike best meets their riding needs.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
On 6/15/2022 at 3:41 PM, Calugo said:

That's right Calugo. I will test ride. Wind noise is my primary concern. I would hate 750 miles of buffeting, no matter how great the destination. 

• Plus 1 1
2 hours ago, AviP said:

That's right Calugo. I will test ride. Wind noise is my primary concern. I would hate 750 miles of buffeting, no matter how great the destination. 

Buffering can sometimes be fixed with a different windshield.

On 6/10/2022 at 7:16 PM, AviP said:

...Any pillion rider viewpoints here or is everyone pretty much a solo warrior?

I can only give you my experience.

Mrs. Groanup and I took test rides on an RT and GS, both 2018 models.

We rode each for about 40 minutes, so take it with a grain...

To my surprise, the wife felt more comfortable on the GS. She said the RT seat was so flat and wide, she was sliding around on it, and it felt scary.

We traveled on an '07 RT for 11 years (with BMS seats), and she loved riding pillion on that.