IGNORED

What's in your toolkit?

Twisties

We're in the process of converting our toolkits over from the RT's to the 1250 GS's.  One obvious change is the front wheel hex.  What are you using for that?  The usual array of torx bits are in our bags, along with our tire tools and inflator.  What else should we be thinking about?

You just need the 17mm hex socket or a wrench for the locking bolt on the LH side of the Quick Release axle.  Nothing for the RH side as it's not threaded into either of the stanchions, it just pushes thru.

This might help you also.

Tools I carry on my RT all the time

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Boxflyer said:

You just need the 17mm hex socket or a wrench for the locking bolt on the LH side of the Quick Release axle.  Nothing for the RH side as it's not threaded into either of the stanchions, it just pushes thru.

Thanks!

3 hours ago, Boxflyer said:

Thanks for this.

Brad, I really have to laugh.  I'm former (US) Navy, too.  I can SO see "Navy Engineering" in all the stuff you do.   I can see your engineering roots, plus your Airdale history bleeding through, too.

Doesn't mean that I don't recognize the merits of your own, detailed personality, but again, the similarities in Navy engineering standardization, even down to the tools, and kits, is all there. 

Your generosity?  Well, that's all on you! 😁

👍🍻

Edit #1: Impressive tool kit design.  Could only be assembled by a BMW tech, or someone who has worked on BMW RT's as much as a BMW tech.  

Very well thought out.  I've already got most of this stuff in my shop, some of which I'll duplicate to put into the kit, some of which I'll replace to reduce size.

But KNOWING exactly which sockets, Torx, Allen bits will be needed for a given bike, for given procedures, is the kind of stuff they hire expensive engineers to figure out at NAVSUPSYSCOM, for US Navy equipment.  Again, 👍👍.

Edit #2: You didn't mention it as part of your tool kit, but I assume that you also carry some sort of tire pump and patch kit(s)?  

We carry mushroom plugs and a slime inflater on one bike.  We're not always together, but mostly so.  Never used the mushroom kit.  Used sticky ropes and the inflater once.  Credit card just before dark on X-mas eve at the Mexican border near Organ Pipe NM wouldn't have done a thing for days.  I'm not going to carry everything Boxflyer does, unless I have a planned service on the road.... not likely.  We want to be able to remove wheels, fix and inflate tires, remove plastics, add oil.  Most anything major will involve the credit card and phone.

Does BMW still include towing in the warranty period?

Brand new BMW motorcycles (should) include Roadside Assistance during the warranty period.   Mine did, when I bought it in 2019, but I was never afforded the opportunity to use it.  I guess that is a good thing.  :grin:

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Twisties said:

We carry mushroom plugs and a slime inflater on one bike.  We're not always together, but mostly so.  Never used the mushroom kit.  Used sticky ropes and the inflater once.  Credit card just before dark on X-mas eve at the Mexican border near Organ Pipe NM wouldn't have done a thing for days.  I'm not going to carry everything Boxflyer does, unless I have a planned service on the road.... not likely.  We want to be able to remove wheels, fix and inflate tires, remove plastics, add oil.  Most anything major will involve the credit card and phone.

Does BMW still include towing in the warranty period?

I'm kind of the pessimist-type rider-wrencher.  Whatever I leave out, will be EXACTLY what I need to get back on the road again.  I'd really be comfortable with a 120 lb tool box that fits neatly into my 49L top case, but there are some functional, um... negative considerations with riding equipped like that.   So, yeah, Brad has a very good line on what I feel I "need" to pack, to ward off Mr. Murphy and his asinine  "law".  (And actually, I'd really feel "most comfortable" with a 180 lb BMW mechanic inside that 49L box, but he'd probably complain a lot, so for the sake of noise control, I'll only take one of those on my spousal pillion. 😏  Glad that she never reads this forum, though.) 🤣😨  

Also, while I certainly wouldn't plan a 6K/mi service on a trip, but if you're going to do something lengthy (i.e. like Idaho to East coast USA, to Southwest, back up to Idaho), I could see doing one's own oil change (at minimum) enroute, to avoid a service day (or is it, service WEEK) at a BMW dealership.  So, yeah, I'll bet Brad might do a partial 6K service on the road.

I do carry a simple compressor, one that has the outer case stripped off so it's just the little motor and cylinder...be careful of your fingers.  I also use rope plugs and not the mushroom type.  These are up under the rear rack.  I cut off a couple of the mounting stand-offs that hold things like the RDC or the Alarm so that there is more open space...I also carry 25ft of nylon rope under there along with my rope plugs and extra gloves.

I've done several oil changes on the road, usually in WalMart parking lots so I can buy the drain pan, a roll of shop towels and they can recycle the oil properly.  I carry an extra oil filter when I know I'll be doing more than 6k.

Doing tire changes never seem to be as predictable as I'd like and I hate to leave too much rubber on the tires when I take them off, so I do change on the road...here I'm doing a tire change at the Rocky Mountain ATV main warehouse in Payson, UT.

They said I'd have to hand carry my rims in to them because they could not put my bike up on a lift in their shop...so I just walked the tires in from the picnic area beside their offices.

In short, all the tools I carry are as a result of knowing what I use and what I'm willing to do vs being at the mercy of a shop...which is anything just short of the 12k service of valve service.

IMG_3351-M.jpg  IMG_3352-M.jpg

• Like 5