IGNORED

No Clutch Freeplay

Twisties

Rode it home from dealer, and a couple of other short rides before it dawned on me that there is no clutch lever free play.  Owner's manual says:

Clutch Checking clutch function Pull back the clutch lever. Pressure point must be clearly perceptible. If no clear pressure point can be felt: Have the clutch checked by an authorized workshop, preferably an authorized BMW Motorrad retailer.

So, that's me.  No pressure point felt, e.g. it's under pressure from the start.  It's under warranty but we're 4 hours one way from the dealer and I don't have an appointment, with several rides coming up.  Anyone know how to adjust this?  

It's the 2020 1250 GS.

8 hours ago, Twisties said:

Rode it home from dealer, and a couple of other short rides before it dawned on me that there is no clutch lever free play.  Owner's manual says:

So, that's me.  No pressure point felt, e.g. it's under pressure from the start.  It's under warranty but we're 4 hours one way from the dealer and I don't have an appointment, with several rides coming up.  Anyone know how to adjust this?  

It's the 2020 1250 GS.

Morning Jan 

Your motorcycle has a hydraulic clutch so it continually self adjusts therefore no real lever free play. (they are not like old cable operated clutches with a defined lever free-play)

I can't tell without feeling it myself but it is probably normal, so first thing to do is call your dealer &  explain your concern. They will probably just tell you that it is normal but get their blessing. 

You might also find another late model BMW RT or GS rider in your area then ask if you can feel their clutch action. 

If you start fooling with that push rod adjuster you can end up with either trapped pressure in your clutch system (piston won't retract enough to allow the take-up port to fully open, or if adjusted the other way clutch & cruise control safety switch's won't operate correctly. 

• Like 1

Sharon's 2021 1250 GS has half an inch of free play.  I will call the dealer.  The bike has been dealer serviced and they did a however many point check on it before the sale.  I certainly don't feel any clutch slippage.

I'm guessing the free play was there yesterday when I was riding, but with gloved hands I just didn't feel it.  I'll check again next time I ride.

My experience with the clutch and throttle with my 2018 WetHead RT was very similar to yours. After riding 180+K miles with my HexHead RT, I had a hell of a time trying to get used to the controls on my WetHead. I was stalling the bike at most stop signs and engaging the clutch was sometimes like riding a bucking bull. But as with everything, after time and miles I got either used to it or the bike has taught me how to ride it.

With the HexHead I always worried about oil consumption, now I am more worried about where is the closest tire supplier. :3:

Go ride the bike without any distractions and just with until the bike teaches you how to shift it. Boy, you are in for a lesson.

The WetHead transmission will sometimes make you think that you forgot how to shift a manual transmission. :4323:

• Like 1

I'm doing ok with the tranny.  Biggest issue is sometimes I miss 2nd and get neutral, but that is becoming less frequent.   Anyway, two days riding completed, and yes, it has a 1/4" free play.  So false alarm.  It is hard to feel when riding, with gloves.  But it's there.  Bike is an absolute joy in other respects.  

Preload the shifter and only use a little travel off the clutch lever, which is what works for me. Also let the shift lever return to its home position between shifts.

The WetHeads are huge advance in handling and power compared to the HexHead RT's. Also the wet clutch is a big difference, compared to the HexHead motors.

Enjoy!

• Like 1