IGNORED

Windshield Arm Plastic Bushings

jpeloke

I just replaced the R1200RT upper windshield arms with the machined aluminum arm set from Beemerboneyard.  It states to use the plastic bushings from your old arms.  When I disassembled the old arms the plastic bushings were non-existent.  I checked with Beemerboneyard and they don't cary them.  I then checked with my local BMW dealer and they couldn't find them on their parts breakdown.  Does anyone have a part number for these or a better option.  I noticed in replacing the arm set the only play left now is where the bushings should be.  Any Ideas or experience?

thanks

John

2005 BMW R1200RT

2009 Triumph Bonneville T100

Mine were the same way.  When I went back to the old arms and cleaned them up - hey there IS a bushing in there.  The bushing is thin, when in place it just looks like a minor discoloration around the holes on the old arms.  There is an outer lip, and the inner bushing extends about halfway down inside the arm (they are two piece each side, IIRC).

I definitely missed them the first time I looked, and assembled the new arms without them.  I noticed the play in the shield as you did and took another look.  I was looking for a thick bushing the first time, these are very thin.

I also recommend white lithium grease for the arms, it's a bit messy but it lasts!

Right you are!  Went out and cleaned up the old arms and low and behold, there they were.  I guess I was thinking on a larger scale.  First thing tomorrow it comes apart again and installed correctly this time (with white lithium grease).  Thank you.

John

2005 BMW R1200RT

2009 Triumph Bonneville T100