IGNORED

Cal-Sci Windscreen (a.ka. flying barn door) vs OEM Standard (Wethead RT)

Scott9999

I picked up a used (but nearly new condition) California Scientific windscreen a month or so back.  Just finally got around to installing it.  I've only took a brief ride, so I can't speak to performance, though I may update this review in the future.  However, since I had both shields in my hands, I decided a little side-by-side comparison might be of some value.  I placed the Cal-Sci windshield over the OEM, and tried to capture the differences in pictures.   I tried to "stich out" the OEM screen, which again, lies underneath the Cal-Sci.  While the OEM shield is "sculptured" with dips at the top and sides, the Cal-Sci fills those areas out, while cutting off the bottom, and providing a vent though the bottom-middle.  I'm assuming that both windshield maker's designs were for function, over form, but the BMW does appear to be a more sporty, sleek windshield, while the Cal-Sci kind of reminds me of a flying barn door.   🤣  

image.thumb.png.a6581fe66680dc28d7c14325a8dbacf1.png

The Cal-Sci windshield, mounted on my 2018 R1200RT.

image.thumb.png.c058c41920ac42b4c120942fa565bec8.png

• 4 weeks later...
Rob Nowell

anxious to hear your opinion RE its performance, but, in any case, it won't win any beauty contests, will it?

I think that the BMW screen is always going to be the best looking one, as far as beauty is concerned.

Truth is, I haven't ridden enough to give an honest appraisal.   I went out the other night for a 30 minute ride around the lake.  It's been raining on and off since ... I guess February?  Anyhow, I had some time, the sun came out, and by the time I suited up and cleared space to get the bike out of the garage, lol, the weather is "wrath of God" dark skies.  I said to myself "What the heck, it's gotta be an all weather bike eventually", so I went, and the clouds opened up, I raised the screen an inch higher, and no real problems.

So, first take is that this is gonna be a lot like my old Cee Baily screen, great protection, but maybe too much for warm weather.

Short answer:  "Heck I don't know yet ..."   😏

We'll see.  I'll update when I get on the road in hot weather.